We are officially MR-endorsed (kinda ;-) )

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27736

OK.

So we create a parallel Vanilla forum to receive the migrated content.  Parallel, but with the look & feel & themes & plugins that we've got here atm.

Would the parallel Vanilla forum have to mirror the MR structure?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Meh, who cares ? ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    We've had an uptick in (real) people joining here since they posted that link.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7593
    If the whole reason for them pulling the plug was data security concerns I can't see them passing on a copy of the database. Regardless of any controls or reassurances given, they are a big corporate with just don't need to expose themselves to any risk, however small. Nice idea but I can't see it being workable. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7593
    TTony said:
    TimmyO said:
    We've had an uptick in (real) people joining here since they posted that link.
    Nice :-) 

Red ones are better. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    They can't really do that0. They'll need permission from Digitalscream I believe, because it is his server they'd be directing to, and his bandwidth.
    TimmyO said:
    If the whole reason for them pulling the plug was data security concerns I can't see them passing on a copy of the database. Regardless of any controls or reassurances given, they are a big corporate with just don't need to expose themselves to any risk, however small. Nice idea but I can't see it being workable. 

True ... *IF*.

And it also depends on what the security issue is.  Do they think that some content has already been violated in a way that would persist if the db moved to a different platform.  Or is the issue that content *could* be violated.  Or is it that some other aspect of the forum could be compromised (member data for eg). 

That content had a lot of value to a lot of people ... if MR aren't going to bring it back to us, then we should explore options to retrieve it ... might not be workable, but I'd at least like to *know* it's not workable (and why), rather than just assume that it wouldn't work.

If there's only a 10% chance (and it's probably not that high!), it's worth a little exploration and perhaps some formal discussions with whoever owns/controls/decides within the MR structure.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2908
    Wow thought theyd fooked us off.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Bless 'em, they miss us really.
    All practice and no theory
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    dafuzz said:
    Bless 'em, they miss the web traffic we generated for Music Radar.
    Corrected for accuracy ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2942
    edited August 2013
    Just seen this on my FaceB feed and thought it was interesting 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    As the least IT literate person allowed access to a computer...
    Could they not put the MR forum back up as read only/ archive if they can't get it going again? A lot of forums archive older threads in this way and then the useful stuff wouldn't be lost ( although wether they would be so altruistic is another matter).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    From a corporate point of view I suspect this suits them. They can link etc but don't have responsibility for content. Bit of a win really.
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Wow , we have become "people power" in action. A really thank you to all you guys who have got this off the ground.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26825
    edited August 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    They can't really do that0. They'll need permission from Digitalscream I believe, because it is his server they'd be directing to, and his bandwidth.
    If you're referring to changing their forum link to point to this place...they could, quite easily, and there wouldn't be much of a legal barrier to stop them; I certainly wouldn't be in favour of stopping it on the basis that it's one of the core tenets of t'Interweb - to be able to link to anything you like.

However...if they wanted to do that and didn't want to see "MR Blows Goats" up there ^^, they'd have to pay for it because we're not running this as a fan forum for their company ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Sporky said:
    That's very decent of them. :)
    Indeed. They were good enough to put a similar message out on their Twitter account as well :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

edited August 2013

Can all BookFacers go to Guitarist Magazine's site, comment on their post ("theFretBoard is building nicely", "theFB is brilliant") and Like It please ...

:D

@BlueWolf

@DCHWhite - tweet, tweet, tweet ...

Can those of you who do the bookyfacey thing, pop over to their site and like their comment, or comment on their like, or whatever.

We'd like to keep their announcement nice and high profile, 'cos we get new members from their link  ;)
  • TTony;13197" said:
    Can those of you who do the bookyfacey thing, pop over to their site and like their comment, or comment on their like, or whatever.

We'd like to keep their announcement nice and high profile, 'cos we get new members from their link  ;)
    Done!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Done too