Any Victory V40 owners out there?

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    edited April 2016
    @RandallFlagg
    Interesting to see your settings. My settings are very different, but this is with Marshall 1912 closed back cabs loaded vintage 30s. Also, my guitar is an HSS Strat.

Here are my current approximate start up settings for gigs, but these might get tweaked.
    High output setting
    Volume: around 10 o'clock
    Voice: II
    Treble: around 10 or 11 o'clock
    Middle: around 2 o'clock
    Mid kick off
    Bass: around 2 o'clock
    Reverb off: I use a room reverb from by pedalboard
    Master: starts around 1 or 2 o'clock but adjusted to suit the overall volume.

Incidentally, my other drive pedal (to the Angry Charlie) is a Maxon OD9 tubescreamer which is less gainy and I really like it.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13955
    @RandallFlagg
    Interesting to see your settings. My settings are very different, but this is with Marshall 1912 closed back cabs loaded vintage 30s. Also, my guitar is an HSS Strat.

Here are my current approximate start up settings for gigs, but these might get tweaked.
    High output setting
    Volume: around 10 o'clock
    Voice: II
    Treble: around 10 or 11 o'clock
    Middle: around 2 o'clock
    Mid kick off
    Bass: around 2 o'clock
    Reverb off: I use a room reverb from by pedalboard
    Master: starts around 1 or 2 o'clock but adjusted to suit the overall volume.

Incidentally, my other drive pedal (to the Angry Charlie) is a Maxon OD9 tubescreamer which is less gainy and I really like it.

These settings were to get a clean sound with the Les Paul. For an amp drive sound I change the settings to Voice II, mid kick on, bring up the bass and mids and reduce the treble a bit, add a bit of Archer to fatten it even more and it sounds good with a vocal feedback inducing mid range but it's not at all a neighbour friendly setting! 

• I tried this with a zilla with 2 creamback neos in, with a mix of 335s, HB SGs and a trio of les pauls (all with Peter Green mods, coil tap and out of phase with big Jaspco refrets on them) care of a mate who is a very fine guitarist, and I can honestly say the sound was just right...

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    That's a great review!
    How very rock and roll
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2592
    tFB Trader
    Get an eq pedal, tweak it so you are hearing more of what you want, then take that to a decent guitar tech and ask them if they can modify the amp to suit, that is one method I use to voice allot of amps for people. hopefully it is not an SMT circuit board.. though I suspect it may be.....

Also, it is a 40 power section, if you have the master below 1 you probably don't need a 40w amp and probably wont get it sounding really great with a low master setting... just saying
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Get an eq pedal, tweak it so you are hearing more of what you want, then take that to a decent guitar tech and ask them if they can modify the amp to suit, that is one method I use to voice allot of amps for people. hopefully it is not an SMT circuit board.. though I suspect it may be.....

Also, it is a 40 power section, if you have the master below 1 you probably don't need a 40w amp and probably wont get it sounding really great with a low master setting... just saying
    Can also take the wattage down to 7, 1.5 or 0.5 watt.

The master is over halfway up if you look again, pre-amp vol is down to keep it clean with the Les Paul

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2592
    tFB Trader
    Well then you either have to mod it or swap it, good news is it is not SMT components so is an easy mod if you can get hold of a schematic.....
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    My twopennorth - I had a v40 and really liked it for certain things. I found it great at the cleans and edge of break up stuff and great taking pedals to achieve this to low/mid gain levels. I didn't like it so much taking higher gain pedals - clean channel on the v30 seemed better for this. Equally preferred it with SCs/P90s to humbuckers.

Also, I much preferred it at full power, and it definitely needs to be warmed up and opened up to sound at its best.
  • velvetsky01velvetsky01 Frets: 71
    edited April 2016

are you using the matching victory cab? I had an orange 2x12 with V30s in it and have since replaced it with a 1x12 victory cab with a creamback (the white one) and has made a massive difference in tone! sounds much better

I would take on board the comments on the amp sounding dark as it is and it is the one thing I would change about the amp

Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26710

are you using the matching victory cab? I had an orange 2x12 with V30s in it and have since replaced it with a 1x12 victory cab with creambacks (the white one) and has made a massive difference in tone! sounds much better

I just had a mental image of somebody trying to shoehorn four Creambacks into a tiny little box. 

It was more amusing in my head, granted.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

are you using the matching victory cab? I had an orange 2x12 with V30s in it and have since replaced it with a 1x12 victory cab with creambacks (the white one) and has made a massive difference in tone! sounds much better

I would take on board the comments on the amp sounding dark as it is and it is the one thing I would change about the amp

It's interesting how we all have different tastes. I much preferred it through my Vintage 30 loaded 1x12 cab when I compared it with the recommended cab at Andertons.

But I've put a Vintage 30 in my HRD3, which some would regard as sacrilege. I know that Scott Henderson hates Vintage 30s, but I really like them.

It's not a competition.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Guys, this board seems to be working nicely with the v40. The Tumnus is particularly nice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    RandallFlagg;1039927" said:
    OK, I've had chance to open the V40 up a bit today and with fresh ears and a clear mind, set about reassessing. I've having a love it moment again!

It's clear that the master volume has to be opened up to really get the V40 singing. I set it up for a clean tone with the Les Paul and it sounds glorious. Here are my settings:

Annoying hell out of the kids, especially when I kick in the silver Archer but it does sound good, loud, clear articulate and none of that boomy low end that has bothered me and enough treble on tap.

I'm still looking for a higher gain pedal that the Archer, almost ready to buy a Thorpy Gunshot or perhaps a Plimsoul or may try the JHS Andy Timmons (although I found the Angry Charlie a bit too gainy when I tried it but that was with a PRS with hotter pickups.

I'm a lot happier now!

Almost the exact same settings I use. I would also add that bypassing the fx and reverb circuits seems to 'open up' the sound more as well
  • darrenpdarrenp Frets: 116
    edited April 2016
    @RandallFlagg

I've had my V40 and matching 2x12 for quite a while now and have gigged it numerous times. The settings you show are almost identical to how I run mine, except I've found I prefer to run it on full power as it seems to have more definition.

I use a Boss BD-2W for a crunchy sounding drive and a Lovepedal Kalamazoo for higher gain lead sounds, both if I get carried away!!

I'm now looking for a Wampler Sovereign to add to my board for those slightly heavier moments.

I had a V100 and a V30 before the V40 and couldn't really get on with either, but I'm now happier with my set up than I've been in nearly forty years of playing.
    edited April 2016
    Ł
    AndyJP said:
    Guys, this board seems to be working nicely with the v40. The Tumnus is particularly nice.

I am lead to believe that the Tumnus has a strong low end, do you find that this is too much with the V40 as it's got quite a bass heavy tone anyway?

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    This amp looks amazing
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I like how it's single channel and you rely on pedals for your sound.

But is an amp channel better than pedals for distortion?

I need to check the specs for this in more detail.
    I like how it's single channel and you rely on pedals for your sound.

But is an amp channel better than pedals for distortion?

I need to check the specs for this in more detail.
    I find the best distortion I get with the V40 is using there amps natural drive with pre-amp volume at around 7 and hitting the front with an overdrive pedal. A J Rockett Archer or a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 tips it over the edge nicely into a really nice fat distorted tone.

edited April 2016
    Does anyone happen to know which direction the internal toggle switch is set for EL34 valves. That's the one closest to the transformer. I couldn't find it in the manual and it's not labelled, unless I've missed it. I've emailed Victory on their website but I thought one of you guys could give me a quicker answer.

At last night's gig, a candle on a shelf above my amp dripped wax into it. I've spent the past hour scraping bits of wax away from inside the amp and the holes in the cover :(. I don't think I knocked the toggle switch, but I want to double check the setting.

I knew the one about no drinks above amps, I'll also watch out for candles in future :)

Apologies: strike the question. I've just noticed the toggle switch setting is labelled on the back cover.

But watch out for candles.

It's not a competition.