The key to ambient guitar

What's Hot
BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
Is stacking delay and not reverb.

This is something I've just discovered when fiddling with my new Zoom MS-70CDR. I've tried stacking both and the delays just sound much better. Stacked reverbs just mush everything up.

I know there are a few on here that dabble with some ambient noises. Any opinions? @Bidley @Not_the_DJ

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    edited December 2013
    Absolutely! Spot on there. Have a wisdom.

My pedalboard is in two parts - a 'pre-amp board' with compression, boost, overdrives, etc and a 'delay board' with 4 delays (Arion SAD-1, Boss DD-3, TC Electronic Flashback and Line 6 DL4). As you might deduce, I do a fair bit of ambient 'Frippery' with the DL4 as a looper.

I tend to put a bit of reverb on the desk (I record direct) but it's never excessive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2013
    I've not actually tried stacking reverbs, but I'd imagine it could get messy.

Delay wise I do use a Carbon Copy and my TC Alter Ego together. A nice warm analogue short delay into the pristine 2290 setting on the TC.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I have for several years used an analogue delay (it used to be a SAD-1, now a Mooer Anaecho) and a digital (usually an Arion DDS 1, nut more recently a Nux Timecore).
    These days I run a Boss LS2 and have a blend of looped flanger/ anaecho/ trem and vibe with straight through signal into the digital delay and then a reverb pedal (Boss FRV). Spacey!
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I was wondering, do u guys use the delays in an effect loop or through the front? It's seems like such a hassle to run 4CM.

I get all my drive from pedals anyway and run the amp clean. I reckon that there shouldn't be a need to run an effects loop because of this.
  • I don't actually agree regarding reverb.  Stacking delays is an easier task because you are getting them to play in gaps rather than co-exist in wash.  Stacking reverb is a subtler skill.  I try to avoid the full on clichéd sound of the Boss RV-5, but there is no doubting it has/adds something which I do like sometimes.  At the other end of the scale there are the likes of EBS Dynaverb which is a great 'real' sounding reverb.  The subtle mixing of two types of reverb can really create some cool textures with plenty of punch and definition providing you are always keeping your ears focus on the main sound not the effect..

For me, reverb is exactly like gain where it take an intuitive approach to discover the tipping point where edge becomes mush.  It's easy to say I want a metal sound so crank the gain to this max and you get some warbly, wooly tone, lacking any definition or edge.  For me reverb works the same.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not that well-versed in ambient noises! @Drew_fx is a good one to ask when he comes back.

I use my verbs and delays in my fx loop, it sounds too mushy otherwise. Drew will tell you he prefers most things in front. The best way is to try it yourself. You're right though, if you only run your amp clean you'll have less use for an fx loop.

With stacking reverbs, the only way I can get this to work is if you eq the reverbs very very differently, so they don't take up teh same frequency range, and even then it's a stretch. I had my best results with a normal spring/plate eq'd for low-end and a shimmer eq'd for high end. I wouldn't use it very often though.
  • I run my amp clean and all my pedals up front. To much messing around with cables otherwise.
  • My delays sit in the fx loop most of the time but I'll go into the front of a clean amp if that's all that's available. That's one of the advantages of having two separate boards instead of one big one.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7505
    edited December 2013
    I hate delay pre gain if things are going distorted...

Wanna know ambience heaven? I was messing around in a store with an ehx memory boy deluxe. I put a Pog and reverb in the loop, and BOOM. Sounded unbelievably pretty.

Very easy to dial in, too. Bit noisy, but that's bbd delays...
  • I love reverb with my delays for certain things, especially making big soundscapes with the guitar. The El Capistan has a reverb built in because it is so complimentary.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    IMHO stereo is crucial. I have a stereo Wet EQ'd for highish-frequencies and a TC HoF set on the "Church of Andy" toneprint but EQ'd quite dark. The combination is fantastic. I also have two delays set up on the Line 6 M9: the tried and trusted auto-swell and the modulated digital delay which works beautifully after it. Also a TC SCF chorus set almost inaudibly low. 

It is pant-wettingly brilliant.

@johnperry if you have a stereo rig running with effects loops, I hate to imagine the number of cables you have to bring to a gig.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    Are you crazy? I would never attempt to take all this crap out in public. I would be a laughing stock

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Everything into a clean amp and then more reverb on the amp!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2950
    edited December 2013

This offers some interesting ideas.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I do a fair bit of ambient guitar noodling .. you might want to view this video ..

Andy Othling's an ambient guitar guru .. register for his new site .. http://reverbnerds.com/ .. lots of tips, gear demos etc.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That sounds great @Fretwired

There was me thinking I was almost done with gear….
    I apologise for sowing the seeds of gas. Thanks for the othling vid, I've seen most of them. He's great!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    That sounds great @Fretwired

There was me thinking I was almost done with gear….
    @thisisguitar once you've hung out with Andy online you'll want more pedals .. I've just invested in a couple of Strymon pedals which I'm loving. Check out Andy's guide to getting an ambient sound on a budget ... http://reverbnerds.com/budget-buyers-guide/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • No worries @Branshen it doesn't take much! 

@Fretwired I've got major pedal lust at the best of times. Got an El Capistan a little while back, lush pedal… got a Mobius last week too. My board is getting ridiculous. Pedaltrain Pro with little space left, and in my head I've filled the rest already :-)

What Strymon's did you get?