Flashed By A Speed Camrea Whilst Stationary

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1770

So to add to the current excitement in my life I was flashed by a speed camera last night whilst stationary.

I heard an ambulance behind me (going to at some rate blues and twos going) so pulled over at the nearest safest place, which just so happened to be at a speed camera on the markings after it.

Ambulance overtook on the other side of the road and I was stationary - however the speed camera flashed. I'm guessing as these things work on automatic numberplate recognition I'll get a letter through the post and will obviously fight it as the pictures will clearly show I'm stationary.

Has anyone had this before & did you get a letter through the post?

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Don't worry. As well as flashing it records the speed. Yours will be 0 and with an ambulance in shot it will be disregarded.
    If it somehow does come through to you, one simple appeal from you and a human being will realise and quosh it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    edited April 2016
    gubble said:

So to add to the current excitement in my life I was flashed by a speed camera last night whilst stationary.

I heard an ambulance behind me (going to at some rate blues and twos going) so pulled over at the nearest safest place, which just so happened to be at a speed camera on the markings after it.

Ambulance overtook on the other side of the road and I was stationary - however the speed camera flashed. I'm guessing as these things work on automatic numberplate recognition I'll get a letter through the post and will obviously fight it as the pictures will clearly show I'm stationary.

Has anyone had this before & did you get a letter through the post?

I doubt you will struggle to fight that one.

Edit: read your post properly - you'll be fine :)
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4389
    I think you'll get away with it.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• gubblegubble Frets: 1770

Oh I'll not be facing the reality of an SP30 for sure.

Part of me posting this is 'just in case' and I can show this thread to show I didn't think a story up last minute when the letter came through.

For the record A337 Highcliffe 19:10pm

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73095
    It will either come up as 0mph or 150mph depending on whether they think the one image means the car hasn't moved, or has moved out of shot.

I'm sure Top Gear tried to test it and found you needed to be going at least at that sort of speed to get away with it.

So if you weren't in a Ferrari/Porsche etc you'll be fine.

Probably.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Not a Diesel Ford Focus then
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    Doesn't a speed camera record two images a fraction of a second apart? If so then it will be clear that you hadn't moved between shots.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited April 2016

If there are line markers on the road, they check movement between the two pictures (two flash's). Its unusual (although not unheard of) to be done on a single flash. Single flash is usually a sign the camera is not in full operation due to cutbacks.

I've been overtaken on the A1 by a Police car on two occasions and the gatso has flashed twice, I never had a letter on either occasion.

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    gubble said:

I know that one well, mostly as my sister got caught by it twice in the same day.  Oops.

That's a good old fashioned Gatso, so no ANPR and there will be two photos taken, you'll be in the same place in both so nothing at all to worry about there.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    Fuzzdog said:
    gubble said:

I know that one well, mostly as my sister got caught by it twice in the same day.  Oops.

That's a good old fashioned Gatso, so no ANPR and there will be two photos taken, you'll be in the same place in both so nothing at all to worry about there.

My other half got caught by it a few years ago.

I'd literally just turned right out of the Lord Bute and onto the road when I heard the ambulance so pulled over in what you'll well know is the easiest and safest place.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7360
    There are many cases where pulling over for an emergency vehicle either into cross-hatch zone or Bus Lane has resulted in a ticket issued where the local authority will not waive it... So I Never pull over for an emergency vehicle!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    There are many cases where pulling over for an emergency vehicle either into cross-hatch zone or Bus Lane has resulted in a ticket issued where the local authority will not waive it... So I Never pull over for an emergency vehicle!
    Really?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    ICBM;1043200" said:
    It will either come up as 0mph or 150mph depending on whether they think the one image means the car hasn't moved, or has moved out of shot.

I'm sure Top Gear tried to test it and found you needed to be going at least at that sort of speed to get away with it.

So if you weren't in a Ferrari/Porsche etc you'll be fine.

Probably.

:)
    They used a TVR and it was tested at 174 before it doesn't go off at all.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    mike257 said:
    57Deluxe;1043481" said:
    Really?
    Yes.  There was an article in the Sunday Times about it a few months back.  Many people have been fined for bus lane encroachments whilst getting out of the way of emergency vehicles.  Appeals dismissed in most if not all cases.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    You shouldn't break the Highway Code for an emergency vehicle, not obliged to, just drive normally and pull over into a space or let it overtake you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Rule 219

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or traffic officer and incident support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10018
    edited April 2016
    The cameras go off around here at all kind of random moments, I've seen them go off on the other side of a dual carriageway with not a car in sight. Also gone off as I've crossed the road as a pedestrian again with no cars in sight so I shouldn't worry too much
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73095
    The cameras go off around here at all kind of random moments, I've seen them go off on the other side of a dual carriageway with not a car in sight. Also gone off as I've crossed the road as a pedestrian again with no cars in sight so I shouldn't worry too much
    The camera operator is just taking stealth shots of you. Don't worry about it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I got snapped whilst I was stationary. That's the last time I impersonate a sheet of A4 paper whilst driving. Apparently my guilt was written all over me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10018
    ICBM;1044034" said:
    thecolourbox said:

The camera operator is just taking stealth shots of you. Don't worry about it.
    I was flashing at the time. And not my headlights
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom