How Do I Stop The Tip Of My Knob Falling Off When I Get Overexcited On Stage?

What's Hot
Top-hat-style selector switch tip on my Telecaster. Have replaced many times, am now having to order another one.

It just slots on...so it just as easily slots off again....

What is the best way to keep it in situ? Superglue?  Any other hints and tips? I am fed up of crawling round after a gig looking for my knob.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    duct tape. wrap it in duct tape. a whole roll of duct tape. a few times round the knob. then round the guitar body a bit. lattice it up the neck and back. knob won't fall off.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Rizla Packet.
    Small piece the same size as the blade on the switch selector.
    Held mine on for 2 years now, never moved.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    If you superglue your knob on, I'd worry it would be difficult to get it off if you want to remove the selector switch from the control plate.

Is it just that its a bit loose? Bit of tape round the blade to make the fit a bit tighter?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    edited April 2016
    I used blue tack to hold one on my strat. Just put a little bit on the end of the lever and pushed the tip on. I've been able to take it off anytime I've needed to and it sticks fine when it's put back on.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    A touch of blu tack inside the tip or on the switch

• Thanks @Alnico will try that.

Am at a slight disadvantage in that I don't smoke, nor do any of my band, but I guess the basic principle means any piece of cardboard the right size and shape will do. Thanks! :)

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    There's something about Rizla packet card that is spongy, kind of has an amount of springy to it when compressed which is what i always assumed was doing it for my switch tip.

I think Rizla's are about 50p for a small pack ?

Also they are great for setting up strat tremolos !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8087
    a pair of pliers - twist the blade of the switch slightly so that the knob is gripped a little tighter
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    New Guitar?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4731
    A bit of the plastic wrapping from a set of D'Addarios, jammed in and trimmed with a Stanley knife.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    I lost about three from my strat and then one just worked, just a better fit. Nail varnish? Seems to be the answer to a lot of these things, provides a light grip but shatters if needed and can be cleaned off easily. Clear is available if dribbles of fuchsia pink are a worry.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Hair spray on the blade first.
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1009
    From the thread title I was going to suggest some tighter fitting pants.... Nevermind.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • From the thread title I was going to suggest some tighter fitting pants.... Nevermind.
    You have not seen or heard of my ever-expanding waistline, then. Tighter fitting pants...impossible, these days!

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    I lost about three from my strat and then one just worked, just a better fit. Nail varnish? Seems to be the answer to a lot of these things, provides a light grip but shatters if needed and can be cleaned off easily. Clear is available if dribbles of fuchsia pink are a worry.
    have used that as well Eric and works as described - better option than a dab of super glue as the grip can be broken if required
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    Option 1:
    Thread lock:
    If you rough up the surface of the lever and inside of the hat before applying even better.

Option 2:
    Steel hat with a grub screw for locking down onto the lever (you could get one made for  £20 if there isn't one out there - my Trussart has one like this fitted as standard.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    There's blue-tac in mine.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8077
    Nail varnish is a good one. I've also put some copper shielding tape on a switch before.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    A wee bit of double sided tape over the flat of the end of the switch - that's the Blue Peter method and it works.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Paul_C said:
    a pair of pliers - twist the blade of the switch slightly so that the knob is gripped a little tighter
    Or notch the edges with a pair of wire cutters.

Or fold a small piece of tape over the top of it so it goes down both sides.

Or superglue.

All work, some are more effective and permanent than others...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein