Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Noob Strap Lock Question.

What's Hot
Will any decent Strap Locks do for just about any Guitar? I am getting some for my Peavey Wolfgang. I got some Schaller ones with my VSOP last year. I still ain't put em on yet, but am gonna do both guitars over Xmas. 

I'm gonna get a nice DSL Strap for each guitar too.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I don't think there is a lot of difference in how well they function - just preferences in the looks and way they operate.

I have schaller ones on all my guitars as they seem to do the job nicely. You just need to watch the screws - either use the ones from the guitar if they fit the new button or check the schaller screws are a good secure fit on the guitar (I've had to fill the hole on a couple of guitars)
  • John_P said:
    I don't think there is a lot of difference in how well they function - just preferences in the looks and way they operate.

I have schaller ones on all my guitars as they seem to do the job nicely. You just need to watch the screws - either use the ones from the guitar if they fit the new button or check the schaller screws are a good secure fit on the guitar (I've had to fill the hole on a couple of guitars)
    Thanks @John_P

I am dreading having to modify something. Would you suggest a short piece of cable tie or matchstick popped in the hole to give the new screw's thread something to bite into?
  • Schaller are poorly designed in my opinion.
    I recommend Dunlop.
    Better in every respect.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34010
    Seriously, get a couple of Grolsch bottles and rip the washers off and use those.
    They are a much better solution and require no modifications to the instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7784
    The only guarantees when asking about straplocks are that you will get folk saying that only <their brand> works properly and that <the others> are inherrently flawed. If the conversation goes on long enough this will happen for every permutation of make and model ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I use cheapies. Dunlop plastic ones that fit on any strap button. They work brilliantly well and, despite being plastic, are beyond strong enough for the heaviest bass guitar.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    The Schaller ones squeak and wear badly where the 'pin' goes into the hole (wears oval) as the buttons are made out of case-hardened cheese. Otherwise, they work fine.

I use Dunlops these days, having replaced all the Schaller ones about five years ago.

If you play a Gibbo - you *need* some form of strap lock. Grolsch bottle washers do work well, to be fair.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73165
    TimmyO said:
    The only guarantees when asking about straplocks are that you will get folk saying that only <their brand> works properly and that <the others> are inherrently flawed. If the conversation goes on long enough this will happen for every permutation of make and model ;-) 
    And the interesting thing about that is that they're *all* right :) - about the inherent flaws anyway.

All metal straplocks are a waste of time in my opinion. They give you a false sense of security because they can still fail, not least because the screw can still come out of the wood or even break. Most have a serious design flaw which makes this more likely - because they lift the suspension point too far from the guitar body and so greatly increase the pull on the screw, compared to with the strap being flush against the body. They can also bend the button over sideways and damage the finish under the edge of it. Not only that, the locking mechanism itself can fail (Dunlop) or even the casting itself break (Schaller), both in my experience. I've seen all the other faults in the course of repair work too - sometimes with disastrous (headstock breaking) consequences or other serious damage.

The best method is a decent standard strap button, well-fixed to the body with a good-sized screw, and either a Grolsch washer or the plastic Dunlop locks ThePrettyDamned mentioned. They're not just cheaper than metal straplocks, they're far better and have none of those problems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with @ICBM (seriously, that should be my signature..) I don't like the locking mechanism of Dunlops, Schallers are ok but they have far too many things that need to be tight for them to work all the time. I went over to Grolsch o-rings a couple of years ago and they really are great. The only trouble I have with them is they're a bit of a pain to take off with sweaty fingers at midnight after a gig, which means my Gibson 336 still has Schallers because I can't fit it in its case with chunky leather strap attached. All my other guitars get stored with straps attached in cases so it's no problem.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    If you're teetotal, you can buy packs of Grolsch washers on ebay  ;)
  • Thanks everyone. It is a "Can of Worms" subject I know, but I didn't realise they were so prone to faults and failure.

Glad you jogged my memory with the Grolsch Washers. The only question I have with that is, are they conducive to constant removal of the strap? Are they a bugger to get off once they are on?

I always keep my Guitars in their case when they not in my hands, it's my golden rule of gear care, so I would be needing to remove and replace the strap each time I play etc.

Thanks for the tip on the Dunlops, I'll check those out too.

:)
  • drwiddly said:
    If you're teetotal, you can buy packs of Grolsch washers on ebay  ;)
    I'm definitely not teetotal, Drwiddly ;-)
    I don't find them difficult to get iff but TBH I mostly use soft cases unless flying so I don't need to regularly.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562

As a home player who doesn't sling a guitar about much I had given a little thought to fitting strap locks of one sort or another and I've never got past the; "do I have to take the old strap button off first?" stage.

I'm pleased to hear that improved security can be gained by using 'Grolsch washers' so no modifications required, that's great.  

Can't imagine where I'm going to find some of those at this time of the year!

Who ever said it, have a wisdom.

edited December 2013
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    edited December 2013

/\ Amazing!

And there was me thinking I'd have to nick em off beer bottles!

edited December 2013
    I got 200 or so from a home-brew shop for under £5.
    I give them to my guitar repair clients as a sweetener.
    I actually fit them on if they don't use a strap lock.
  • I think I might go this route, saves a lot of faffing about.

Thanks Lads.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7927
    I've got two basses and an acoustic fitted with Schaller strap locks and gigged them all regularly for years with no problems whatsoever (and I've just had a quick look to check them for wear and can't see anything of concern), but I recognise that I might be the exception rather than the rule.

:)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ROOG;112945" said:
    /\ Amazing!And there was me thinking I'd have to nick em off beer bottles!
    It tastes miles better when you nick em.

Especially if you want a dozen, your mates want a dozen, and you want a few spare, just in case.