Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Noob Strap Lock Question.

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8102
    ICBM said:
    TimmyO said:
    The only guarantees when asking about straplocks are that you will get folk saying that only <their brand> works properly and that <the others> are inherrently flawed. If the conversation goes on long enough this will happen for every permutation of make and model ;-) 
    And the interesting thing about that is that they're *all* right :) - about the inherent flaws anyway.

Yep I've used a couple and always had some sort of problem (Schallers that basically unscrew themselves over time, Dunlop clip flying off, one of those plastic Dunlop ones fell apart in my hand) but tbh I'll take any of them over a normal strap on a normal strap button (I have yet to put anything on my Tele build and it fell off the strap just yesterday as I played at home - luckily somehow I sensed and caught it) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited December 2013

I use Schaller on 3 guitars, the Charvel came with it's own, and the Ibanez has a DiMarzio lock strap on it.

Thanks to Chris for reminding me of that.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• There are two systems I swear by: The Dimarzio Clip lock strap system, and the less intrusive Planet Waves Locking straps. 
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    edited December 2013
    The only problem I've ever had with Schallers (fitted to al my guitars) is the nut that holds the strap bit together working loose....almost dropped a very expensive guitar at a gig when that happened.....since then they've all been threadlocked, no problems 
  • as soon as you remove the original screw in my experience you're asking for trouble. they never go back in as tight and it you add anything between the button and guitar you reduce the length of screw and therefore it's usefulness. Grolsch rubber thingies all the way.

• Grolsch thingies it is by the looks of it. That reminds me it's Beer O'clock ;-)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    ICBM said:
    The best method is a decent standard strap button, well-fixed to the body with a good-sized screw, and either a Grolsch washer or the plastic Dunlop locks ThePrettyDamned mentioned. They're not just cheaper than metal straplocks, they're far better and have none of those problems.
    That's awesome :)) I have schallers on my legra but never got round to fitting any to any of my other guitars. I got dunlops with my new charvel but couldn't get the darn things on :)) I have the plastic dunlop ones you mentioned on my edwards LP and they seem fine (and very handy to fit, even i can manage it :)) ). Just need to find someone who sells them in bulk. Or take up drinking, I suppose.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099

I am dreading having to modify something. Would you suggest a short piece of cable tie or matchstick popped in the hole to give the new screw's thread something to bite into?
    It's strange how experiences differ. 

I've got Schaller fitted to all of my guitars, they get gigged every week, never had a problem with them and think they're great, cos I use a wireless, run around a lot, and generally dick about with the guitar, and don't want my guitar falling off the strap.

As for changing the screw -- it's not a "mod" -- it literally is just a screw.... screws out... screws in.  I've only had to use the matchstick thing with a couple of guitars and that was years down the line, not as a result of changing the screw.  But even that matchstick thing is ridiculously simple.

With the Schallers it's just "click" and the strap's on and it ain't going anywhere. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi @Grunfeld

I know it's not really a big job, but I've seen demo vids where the guys have used the shorter screw that comes with the strap locks to replace the original screw. It makes me wonder why the screws are not just all standard threads and lengths for this particular purpose.

Surely it would make sense to use the longer screw (the one that is roughly the same length as the original), but this guy used the shorter one and knew he was right. I know it's not rocket science, but when it's your own gear and it's something I've never tampered with before, it kind of makes me nervous.

If the screw is in solid then yes, it's fine to just check the nut is tight etc.

I work with metal and when you put a thread into a metal hole, it is there for good, with wood, the screws self tap themselves and that can maybe be a bit more messy when replacing a screw, I don't know, I don't work with wood.

I'm rambling now, lol. Head is all over the place. I guess it serves me right for asking.

:)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099

I'm rambling now, lol. Head is all over the place. I guess it serves me right for asking.

:)
    Decent question given the vid.  I've never seen the vid.  But you're right, use the same length or the longer one -- or at least that's what I've always done.  Used these things for decades; they're solid.
  • @Grunfeld

I'm glad you can see the sense in it too(why has the font just changed?).

I'll give the grolsch washers a try as I'm not gigging yet. I got the Schalllers with the VSOP as part of the build so it ain't cost me owt.

Cheers :-)

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I use the Schallers, but that's just my choice, I'm not saying they're better than any others. Whatever stops your guitar falling, really.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I use Schallers simply because they came fitted on a few guitars and I'm used to them.  They can be tricky on thick straps and the buttons will eventually come loose.  At least the screws are so long that you get a bit of warning to deal with it. Like the idea of the Grolsch seals, are they more of a faff to get on and off than a regular mechanical strap lock?
  • Richardj;113282" said:
    I use Schallers simply because they came fitted on a few guitars and I'm used to them.  They can be tricky on thick straps and the buttons will eventually come loose.  At least the screws are so long that you get a bit of warning to deal with it. Like the idea of the Grolsch seals, are they more of a faff to get on and off than a regular mechanical strap lock?
    Not really. But these are easier really, and they work brilliantly well with no drawbacks and they don't break ever.

http://www.guitarbitz.com/gift-ideas-c73/jim-dunlop-lok-straps-p708?utm_source=google&amp;utm_medium=cpc&amp;utm_term=jim-dunlop-lok-straps-7036&amp;utm_campaign=product+listing+ads?utm_source=google&amp;utm_medium=cpc&amp;utm_term=jim-dunlop-lok-straps-7036&amp;utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&amp;gclid=CPXChOm9yLsCFQsCwwodi28Aig#708

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    I've had the Dunlop plastic locks fall off a guitar mid gig.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    I use dunlop strap locks on the valuables, and a dunlop plastic thing on the Koo-Stick. The Lite Ashe tele has a huge button as standard and I've not gigged it heavily so no need to change yet.

I managed for many years without locks but nearly dropped my Aria whilst slightly 'relaxed' at my 40th birthday gig many years ago. Suddenly saw sense and they all got them soon after.

• Anyone know where you can get the Grolsch style washers in black?! :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Schaller copies, 10 for £12 on Amazon (as in fulfilled by Amazon)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AG8Y354/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used them for yonks and they're just as good as the Schallers. Five guitars for £12 ------- Madam you must !

• @ThePrettyDamned

Do the Dunlop plastic locks remove and replace easily for taking the strap on and off etc?