Euro 2016 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3845
    Our match tomorrow night against Iceland.

Sounds hilarious but I bet it's hard.

Winner against France who haven't impressed, bar Payet (COYI) of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    Rocker said:
    Both Ireland teams did the country proud. Pity about the snide comments by UnclePsychosis. Disappointed but proud of the lads on the pitch.
    Just fed up of the patronising guff that we should all be supporting Ireland because they're from close by and their fans like to sing a lot. No thanks, this neutral would rather be entertained by some decent football. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Reckon the Icelandic coach will have some ITV coverage as part of his pre-match team talk. The disrespect being shown to a team that's scored more goals than England in this tournament is getting a bit silly. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    I'm not sure if you watched the France -v- Ireland game UnclePsychosis, but there was lots of "decent football" played in that game. Some of the games were quite poor but not today's match.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    One can only imagine the pressure that England must be feeling before the Iceland game tomorrow evening. If England do get through as expected, the game -v- France could be interesting. Two teams good going forward but week in defense. Midfields are about equal. I think England will win that game but they have to overcome Iceland first.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1244
    edited June 2016
    Babones said:
    Was a foul, but Griezmann still dived like a girl. 
    Maybe he took lessons from Robbie Brady ;) 
    All footballers are girls/fairies.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    "Country X have done really well to get the knockout stage of a European Championship" & "Country Y have never got this far before".

Well, as twice as many countries this year have reached the knockout "stage" compared to previous tournaments, it's hardly the same achievement is it?
    What exactly do the officials on the endline close to the goals actually do?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Belgians looking ominously good from a Welsh perspective....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

Rocker said:
    What exactly do the officials on the endline close to the goals actually do?
    Look for infringements. Fouls, the ball crossing the line, etc etc. They're like extra linesmen. 

Moronic commentators think they don't do anything because they're not seen waving their flags about and making a fuss. They have a discreet communication method with the main referee so just because they don't appear to be doing anything doesn't mean they aren't. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Watching the end of the Belgium game. That third goal was Roy of the Rovers stuff.
    Germany's abilities came out earlier so we are starting to see the big boys put in proper performances.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    As a Welshman I don't think we need to worry about Belgium - they're a very erratic side and don't always turn up. Besides, we played them twice during qualification.

We've come this far so I see no need to start worrying about opponents now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    As a Welshman I don't think we need to worry about Belgium - they're a very erratic side and don't always turn up. Besides, we played them twice during qualification.

Agreed!

Although I wouldn't mind De Bruyne getting a little training niggle that would rule him out

Did you watch the game? I don't think we should fear anyone, but they've got some tasty players, I'd preferred to have Hungary next round put it that way. QFs is a great tournament for us and if we lose next week then so be it. I think having taken 4 points from them in qualification our players will draw from that, while the Belgians will very much be looking for revenge. 10 men behind the ball and counter through Ramsey and Bale again :)

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    lloyd;1127510" said:
    Nunogilberto said:

Did you watch the game? I don't think we should fear anyone, but they've got some tasty players, I'd preferred to have Hungary next round put it that way. QFs is a great tournament for us and if we lose next week then so be it. I think having taken 4 points from them in qualification our players will draw from that, while the Belgians will very much be looking for revenge. 10 men behind the ball and counter through Ramsey and Bale again :)
    Yes, I did see it - they were very effective but Hungary had their chances too. Belgium blow hot and cold all the time. Friday could (hopefully) be our day again...
    I think we'll defend better, and deeper than Hungary did and we have more quality in their team. If Hazard played like he did tonight, then we'll be in for some trouble, but we've contained him before. Another nail biter.

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    I'd mention Germany too as they played very well again. Quick, efficient, calmly executing their playbook. Slovakia wasn't that grey though, but neither was Hungary today (and Belgia - scoring 4 goals in the end, but looked very chaotic at times).
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    edited June 2016
    lloyd said:
    Rocker said:
    Poxy way to lose a match...

If he doesn't do it, Kanu scores though....Not the worst own goal.

If I'm the defender and I know Robson Kanu is behined me I'd take my chances on him missing it and leave it

Wales have a very good chance against Belgium, there is no way that they will give Hazard the amount of space that Hungary did. Defensively Wales are a better unit and I think if they can keep the Belgiums out for a long period of time and hit on the counter then they have a every chance. An early Belgium goal would be a problem.

This from an Englishman who lives in Wales and will face a large amount of abuse should Wales win and England go out. Good job we have the Rugby team

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Watching tonight's game in the Reyjavik fan-zone ..... Say a prayer for me ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Much talk about how if England lose tonight it will be their most humiliating defeat since the 1950s. I now sort of want them to lose as I'll be witnessing football history whereas muddling through a win will be another dull match!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.