Wudtone black magic woman finish, any experience?

What's Hot

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    I don't know if they stock it at this branch yet, Saturday will be my first chance to get there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    There's a Morells' Sprayshop in High Wycombe - might give them a call tomorrow
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2385
    tFB Trader
    I'm assuming this is not the same product as it indicates it doesn't harden?
    http://www.fintrim.co.uk/products/morrells-flooring-easy-oil.html
    Yes that is the product, that is where I purchased my first tin from, but by the time they added the  postage and VAT onto it comes to about £26. Not sure why they say doesn't harden believe me it sets like concrete overnight, what they might mean is sets hard but won't crack on floorboards if there's any flexing in them.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

That would have been much easier to find without the "eze" spelling.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Sarge said:
    That would have been much easier to find without the "eze" spelling.
    You want the moon on a stick too ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aha! I'm not falling for that one again, couldn't lift the bloody thing last time!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11966
    tFB Trader
    The Morrells stock code is R049: Ezeoil, but you may find that Morrells are geared up towards trade sales rather than dealing with the public. 
    I have used it with good effect on necks so far though.

I had no luck with Fintrim as they were out of stock for a while with it but got lucky with the South London branch of Morrells.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Could you apply Eze oil over trio il and can you tint it?
    You would need to test on scrap.

My gut says no to going over tru-oil, and maybe to tinting it.

I suspect it will mix with a stain just fine, but you still need to find a way to apply it evenly if you are building up a coloured finish on top of an existing finish
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    I'm gonna order my crimson black stain today! Will one 250ml bottle be enough to finish one body or do I need to order more?
    That should be plenty
    edited June 2016
    Cool, ordered! Body is yet to arrive so hopefully things will start to arrive at a similar time so I can get staining and building :) I'll have a quick practice of the stain on my old strat body and under the pickguard of the new body before I go for the full on stain!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    TTBZ said:
    I'll have a quick practice of the stain on my old strat body and under the pickguard of the new body before I go for the full on stain!
    The under the pickguard approach is a good idea.  The problem with testing it on the old body is that they old body may still have remnants of a previous stain or finishing on it, which will affect how the Crimson stain takes.

I'm also waiting for my Crimson stain order to arrive, and I seem to have acquired a small tester/sample of EZE Oil.  If the stain arrives Fri/Sat, then I've got plenty of offcuts to try it out on.  I'll post pics of progress.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I used black magic woman on my jazzmaster. Sanded to 220 then heavy first cost, a few "dabbed on" coats and top coats and I have a solid black, very cool looking jazzmaster. I'll upload a photo in a few days.

Wudtone, you need to know what you're doing. I'm good at it now, but have had mixed results previously. It is easy, when you know how.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

The black and purple colour arrived from Crimson guitars today. As you can see from the photo there’s no doubt this will cover quickly and easily. The piece of ash had just one wipe over of each colour, I would have thought one more wipe over and it will be as black or purple as you could want it. I will add some more colour tomorrow and then put some Eze oil finish on it. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28425
    Mine arrived today too.

I've got black, washed denim, amber and (I think, but in all honesty I've forgotten and haven't opened the box) one of the reds.

It'll be the weekend before I get to try it out though.  Will post pics when done.

Those look good @GSPBasses
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I used wudtone dark tease on my vee build. Was looking for a faded dirty brown, like a Washburn N4, but ended up with a deep brown finish (looks like a French polished cabinet from your gran's house).

Need to strip it & start again with something else. 
    edited June 2016
    Very promising :) mine arrived today as well! Should get started on it on Wednesday hopefully! What do you recommend doing to the body before applying? I've read to just sand back with 240 grit and wipe down with a tack cloth? It's alder.
    tFB Trader
    My test piece of swamp ash was robbed down to 400 grit, if it was a production body I would have almost certainly rubbed it down to 1200. The colour and then the Eze oil will magnify any scratches in the wood, so it's best rubdown with the finest glass paper you have. I do use a tack cloth in between each coat of Eze oil.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers mate :) excited to get started on this!