New Top Gear- The Verdict

What's Hot

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2957
    Just finished watching on catchup as i was watching the F1 yesterday.  thought it was ok.  Happy to stick with it,

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Most of last night's episode was great, apart from the celeb interview bit, that just went on for way too long.

i like the "a bit more like a car show" segments with the Audi and Focus films. 

The final feature around London got very dull very quickly. 
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1006
    Nah, most of that was naff car worship.  Dull as watching the clergy.

The last bit with Matt whizzing around london worked though, it was all about fun, just using a car.  That's where the gold is.

One last go next week, last chane.

Who watches TV for cars (plenty of show rooms)?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    dindude;1109152" said:
    It's much more a straightforward car programme (and I like cars), like fifth gear with a budget.
    That's a really good description of it - and perhaps the route they should pursue instead trying to inject humour/celebrity features, etc.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I didn't like Chris Harris much
    My V key is broken
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Has anyone noticed that ChrEvans is wearing the same outfit on every episode...?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403
    PC_Dave said:
    Has anyone noticed that ChrEvans is wearing the same outfit on every episode...?
    What's with those boots?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27749
    edited June 2016
    Just watching yesterday's. I wanted a Tesla before and I still want one. MLB still the best thing on the show, followed closely by Harris and Reid. The three of them could anchor it by themselves easily.  

Also the best Stig intro in years? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Ratings dropped again.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24685
    Saw the second half last night.  First time I've watched it.  It's not as polished as the old one yet, but there's definite potential.  It's only a few episodes in - give it a chance.  The original Top Gear was shite at the beginning.  What's with the sound though ??  Bloody awful.  It sounded like they were in a big hanger, which they are, but the previous incarnation got it mic'd and EQ'd well.  I kept thinking something had gone wrong with the mics.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Emp_Fab;1118791" said:
    What's with the sound though ??  Bloody awful.  It sounded like they were in a big hanger, which they are, but the previous incarnation got it mic'd and EQ'd well.  I kept thinking something had gone wrong with the mics.
    I noticed that too.

Clarkson Top Gear had very 'dry' sound - it seems like they leave the room mics on deliberately now to make it sound 'bigger'.

What ever the reason, it's less intelligible.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8145
    edited June 2016
    I though the last episode was terrible. The gushing Tesla review was my least favourite. They pointed out all the good stuff, but deliberately avoided talking about all the pollution that goes into making one of those stupidly expensive things.

The road trip was pointless, and the spoon botherer got on my nerves. Why do I bother watching the crap?

Oh, someone get Evans off the air please....!!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    richardhomer;1118878" said:
    [quote="Emp_Fab;1118791"]What's with the sound though ??  Bloody awful.  It sounded like they were in a big hanger, which they are, but the previous incarnation got it mic'd and EQ'd well.  I kept thinking something had gone wrong with the mics.
    I noticed that too.

Clarkson Top Gear had very 'dry' sound - it seems like they leave the room mics on deliberately now to make it sound 'bigger'.

What ever the reason, it's less intelligible.
    [/quote]

Maybe they have to in order to save the sound guys ears from Shouty Evans :))
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    I thought the Tesla review was godawful too.

Notice how at the end of the piece he went "I've been driving round New York all day, done a drag race, and I've still got 30 miles left..." And on the extra show they let it slip that they'd been dashing to find a supercharger point earlier in the day.

Almost as though they're trying to make up for the blatant lies a few seasons ago when they pretended a Tesla had died on the track  :(
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24685
    Ah yes, Top Gear...  the show that everyone turns to for serious reviews.  :O)
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27749
    I had no problem with the Tesla review. Sure, they were low on juice by the end of the day but what they did with it isn't outside the realms of what one can do.

Point is, the latest Teslas ARE viable cars for a good number of use cases, at least in North America where there are a large number of charging stations. 

And they did at least mention that it's only as green as the power station that charges it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Watched the last episode. When does Chris Harris appear? Or is it only online?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8145
    He's testing the Aston on the track. He does a fine job, he's the best thing about the current run of top gear. I also like LeBlanc, though he sucks in the studio, he's hilarious out of studio.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403
    So there we have it. The latest incarnation (geddit?) of the show. My take on it it is simple. Sack Evans. MLB grew into his role and I ended up liking his stylle and delivery and the newbies are good except Jordan..... He is lame but the other kiddies on the block are good. Schmidt is great..... Oh bugger, now we have Brexited, she will have to go home.....
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Or not, as MLB is American, which wasn't in the EU last time I checked. Worst case she has to fill a few forms in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom