New Top Gear- The Verdict

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12488
    edited June 2016
    EricTheWeary;1093620" said:
    Philly_Q said:

boogieman said:

I've just read Danny Baker's autobio where he talks about becoming friends with Chris Evans and Paul Gascoigne. Gazza comes across as a genuinely nice bloke, hugely talented but confused by his fame and with a lot of deep seated confidence issues. Chris Evans just comes across as a loudmouth dick. Obviously nothing much has changed. (And just for balance, Danny Baker comes across as a pompous self absorbed wanker, although at least he's funny with it.)

I'm glad you included that last bit.  I listen to his show every Saturday morning and although he's clever and can be amusing, he is such a massive know-all.  Only interested in other people's comments or opinions when they agree with him.  When the guest is someone from the music business he's unbearable, he acts like he's the acknowledged world authority on everything they (and everyone else) have ever recorded.That period when Evans and Baker were hanging around with Gazza..... they were such tossers, so full of themselves, I absolutely hated them.Sorry, off topic.

I watched that thing Baker did on BBC4 about albums. No idea why he had guests, just talked over them and gave his own opinions. Obviously a clever, witty man but a major arsehole too. Meanwhile Evans' popularity on the radio is a mystery to me. Even MrsTheWeary has started listening to Absolute Radio in the car in the morning on the basis it is shit but not as shit as Evans. 
    I really try to like Danny Baker, but he's insufferable sometimes. His radio show on BBC Radio London was the highlight of the day most of the time, then he'd throw a luvvy wobbly and become a complete arse. He can be a very funny man, but then he's got this Jekyll and Hyde business going on where he can't decide if he's a salt of the earth Bermondsey geezer or an intellectual giant that barely suffers the plebs brushing shoulders with him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Am I right in thinking that the whole series has probably already been recorded? If so, there's no hope of them getting shot of the ginger mouth on a stick.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    Am I right in thinking that the whole series has probably already been recorded? If so, there's no hope of them getting shot of the ginger mouth on a stick.

I think all the film segments are already recorded, I don't know if the studio bits are shot so far in advance but they're certainly not live.

To some extent they're definitely stuck with what they've already done so if the bad reviews continue they'll have to put up with it.  Then again, they wouldn't want to be seen to drastically change things in a knee-jerk reaction to criticism, but they might make some subtle tweaks.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5317
    just went to show how good the previous trio were...
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1974
    edited June 2016
    Yep, the quality shines through...

• dindudedindude Frets: 8567
    They should have got Dan and Mick from That Pedal Show to present it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    dindude;1094060" said:
    They should have got Dan and Mick from That Pedal Show to present it.
    I'd have been up for Doug & Pat.

At least it wouldn't be 'shouty'.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    The Captain and Chappers would make a better job of it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5590
    PC_Dave said:
    I watched "Top Gear Extra Gear" (catchy name!) last night - so much better that the main feature. They should sack off CEVANS and Joey and just put Rory and Chris Harris in as the main presenters. They are able to read from a script without sounding special, they can actually drive, they are funny and they know about cars....

Perhaps that's the plan? Ease in the unknowns then feed them in to the primetime slot?
    mgaw said:
    oh no they wouldnt
    chillidoggy;1094068" said:
    Richard and Judy would make a better job of it....
  • chillidoggy;1094068" said:
    Punch and Judy would make a better job of it....
    FTFY

http://www.vam.ac.uk/__data/assets/image/0009/236745/2013GK6022_1000px.jpg
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    littlegreenman;1094134" said:
    richardhomer said:

chillidoggy;1094068" said:The Captain and Chappers would make a better job of it.

Punch and Judy would make a better job of it.
    Without the punch we wouldn't be in this mess....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2016
    octatonic said:
    I think the three of them work because they are presented as psychological types.

Harmond is the ego, Clarkson is the id, May is the superego.
    Clarkson does the same job in the trio that Cartman does in Southpark.
    I don't, for a second, think he is actually like that in real life.
    This is a very interesting point, I've never thought about it like this before but it does make sense.

And yes, I highly doubt Clarkson is like that in real life. His columns can have flashes of his onscreen persona too but generally they're pretty thoughtful and level-headed - not to mention exceptionally well-written. Regardless of what you think of him, he is inarguably a very clever man, and a brilliant writer.

In fact, I've actually read his stuff from quite a young age, having been a fan of his TV work for as long as I can remember, and while I don't always agree with him I do always admire his writing, and probably take influence from him subconsciously when I write myself. I think a lot of the happiness I find from writing and the joy I derive from the English language can be traced back to my enjoyment of his columns. Genuinely.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    impmann said:

Racism. Its not funny.
    Disagree.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    Drew_fx said:
    impmann said:

Racism. Its not funny.
    Disagree.
    What a lot of bollocks, you watch Top Gear because it is the exact opposite of what PC-BBC want to produce.  It is such an anti Sunday show that it makes you want to watch it because you are waiting for the moment when the wiper blades fall off the Seat and Clarkson comes up with some comment about the build quality in Spain, which is why its a Seat and not a VW.  

And to be clear, there is racism and then there is Racism.  One is meant in jest at stereo types and the other in hatred, yes both can be unkind if used at the wrong moment or taken out of context, but I hate to point out the fucking truth of it, human nature is to laugh at someone else's miss-fortune, just as we are laughing at Chris Evans attempt to present a car show.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I watched the repeat of the latest one last night. Evans wasn't as annoying as I thought he'd be, but without the humour of Clarkson, Hammond and May, I thought the new lineup/continued formula fell flat. I switched over after 15 minutes out of boredom.
  • Fully agree with those who said the future of top gear is in safe hands when the presenters of 'Extra Gear' get to step in... was a much better atmosphere! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    This evenings episode was brilliant, so there