New Top Gear- The Verdict

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    impmann said:
    And it was nice not to experience TG without mention of "the war", how bad other countries are, other xenophobic comments, no mentions of 'lady gardens', 'gentlemans vegetables' or similar childish bullshit, talk of teeth whitening or how stupid the other presenters are.

I agree with that bit, absolutely.  Good riddance.

But let's hope they don't replace it with too much of the UK vs USA stuff, accompanied by endless examples of Matt being wilfully ignorant of British geography, customs, food etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3401
    What makes me giggle about all of this is all the people complaining about Clarkson et all and their childish, unfunny blah blah blah, yet they clearly still watched it.....

Lol, wut?!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12704
    edited May 2016
    PC_Dave said:
    What makes me giggle about all of this is all the people complaining about Clarkson et all and their childish, unfunny blah blah blah, yet they clearly still watched it.....

Lol, wut?!
    Yes, I occasionally watched it - but gave up on watching 'religiously' about four seasons ago (I lose track)... TBH, there isn't much on telly at that time on a Sunday thats good - after all, they wouldn't schedule anything to compete with it!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    me too, i stopped watching it around 4/5 years ago.

it had become a parody of itself, James May is very watchable but the other two were so predictable and lame that it was just embarrasing. And as stated earlier i'd rather watch almost anyone that Richard Hammond, what a little c*nt.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31094
    I miss Chris Goffey.

His son was Supergrass's drummer.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27648
    I'm watching now and enjoying it. The chemistry isn't quite there like it was, but that'll probably get better as they tweak the format and settle into it. 

It's absolutely not as good as the best of Old Top Gear, but at least as good as the worst of it, and frankly any New Top Gear is better than no Top Gear at all. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24624
    I never watched the new one, and rarely managed to tolerate the old one.  How can anyone be entertained by the SAME TIRED JOKES being wheeled out week after week after week after....  Oh, the three bumbling idiots try to do something, calamity ensues, fake disaster occurs, faux bullying etc etc..  fucking YAWNNNNNNNN.

I have to wonder whether part of the old presenters' popularity was because it helped closet racists feel validated.  I saw some comment (I think it was from the DM) that referred to Clarkson's 'deliciously non-PC'' style (or words to that effect).  If it's not politically correct, it's fucking racist or sexist !

I like Chris Evans in small doses and Matt is fine.  I'm sure that it will all settle down eventually and people will get bored of slagging it off, or even talking about it, and those that like it will watch it, and those that don't, won't.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited May 2016
    When Clarkson donked the producer for the want of a decent meal, the BBC should simply have let it die. Instead of which, they've revived the corpse in the vain hope that petrolheads like me will watch it, and they'll make some dosh. Can't blame for them for the latter, but Top Gear WAS Clarkson, May and Hammond.

I'm sure Evans is a nice guy in real life. Actually, no. I'm sure he's a complete tool.

They should shove the Top Gear barge into the Thames with a small hole in the bottom, thus ensuring it sinks somewhere off Canvey Island.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    I like TGI Top Gear, then again I do not give a flying about cars.

If we can get the Captain and Chappers on there this thread will go nuclear.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    I'm not a twitteree but god he comes across as an arrogant prick here!

FACT.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    sinbaadi;1092586" said:
    I'm not a twitteree but god he comes across as an arrogant prick here!

https://twitter.com/achrisevans

FACT.
    The actions of a man who probably feels under a lot of pressure - and can probably be forgiven - given that he obviously doesn't take criticism well.

Other than TFI and 'Don't Forget Your Toothbrush' - Evans hasn't really had a TV career. Fronting the BBC's most watched 'factual programme' is bound to appeal to his ego.

Accepting success and failure with good grace is probably the sign of a person who has reached maturity.

CE probably has some way to go with that....
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4739

I thought it was okay. My lad thought it was very good, he laughed quite a bit and bounced around happily on the sofa. Unfortunately he learned a new word which if repeated in his mums prescence may mean the series is cut short. All he learned from the Clarkson era was 'Gentleman's Sausage', which is not too bad, considering.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12488
    richardhomer;1092617" said:
    [quote="sinbaadi;1092586"]I'm not a twitteree but god he comes across as an arrogant prick here!

https://twitter.com/achrisevans

FACT.
    The actions of a man who probably feels under a lot of pressure - and can probably be forgiven - given that he obviously doesn't take criticism well.

Other than TFI and 'Don't Forget Your Toothbrush' - Evans hasn't really had a TV career. Fronting the BBC's most watched 'factual programme' is bound to appeal to his ego.

Accepting success and failure with good grace is probably the sign of a person who has reached maturity.

CE probably has some way to go with that....
    [/quote]

I've just read Danny Baker's autobio where he talks about becoming friends with Chris Evans and Paul Gascoigne. Gazza comes across as a genuinely nice bloke, hugely talented but confused by his fame and with a lot of deep seated confidence issues. Chris Evans just comes across as a loudmouth dick. Obviously nothing much has changed. (And just for balance, Danny Baker comes across as a pompous self absorbed wanker, although at least he's funny with it.)

It's all very well Evans quoting viewing figures for the first episode. They won't be maintained; a lot of those first time viewers, including me, tuned in to see how the new lineup was going to work. Chilli has it right, the Beeb should have let the format die when Clarkson was sacked. Part of me wonders if this was a deliberate ploy by Clarkson & co tbh, the last series was very stale and laboured.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2381
    I thought it was no more annoying than the last few series of Top Gear, if Chris can stop shouting and the BBC can sort out the sound, I think it'll be an improvement on what the show had become.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3401
    I watched "Top Gear Extra Gear" (catchy name!) last night - so much better that the main feature. They should sack off CEVANS and Joey and just put Rory and Chris Harris in as the main presenters. They are able to read from a script without sounding special, they can actually drive, they are funny and they know about cars....

This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I'm not interested in cars (well, other than old minis and old English sports cars), but I did catch the old TG on and off as I liked the banter between the three presenters. For me there is no reason at all to bother with this new incarnation.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    PVO_Dave said:
     if Chris can stop shouting and the BBC can sort out the sound, I think it'll be an improvement on what the show had become.
    He can't though can he, and therein lies the problem.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    boogieman said:

I've just read Danny Baker's autobio where he talks about becoming friends with Chris Evans and Paul Gascoigne. Gazza comes across as a genuinely nice bloke, hugely talented but confused by his fame and with a lot of deep seated confidence issues. Chris Evans just comes across as a loudmouth dick. Obviously nothing much has changed. (And just for balance, Danny Baker comes across as a pompous self absorbed wanker, although at least he's funny with it.)

I'm glad you included that last bit.  I listen to his show every Saturday morning and although he's clever and can be amusing, he is such a massive know-all.  Only interested in other people's comments or opinions when they agree with him.  When the guest is someone from the music business he's unbearable, he acts like he's the acknowledged world authority on everything they (and everyone else) have ever recorded.

That period when Evans and Baker were hanging around with Gazza..... they were such tossers, so full of themselves, I absolutely hated them.

Sorry, off topic.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:

I'm glad you included that last bit.  I listen to his show every Saturday morning and although he's clever and can be amusing, he is such a massive know-all.  Only interested in other people's comments or opinions when they agree with him.  When the guest is someone from the music business he's unbearable, he acts like he's the acknowledged world authority on everything they (and everyone else) have ever recorded.

That period when Evans and Baker were hanging around with Gazza..... they were such tossers, so full of themselves, I absolutely hated them.

Sorry, off topic.

I watched that thing Baker did on BBC4 about albums. No idea why he had guests, just talked over them and gave his own opinions. Obviously a clever, witty man but a major arsehole too. Meanwhile Evans' popularity on the radio is a mystery to me. Even MrsTheWeary has started listening to Absolute Radio in the car in the morning on the basis it is shit but not as shit as Evans. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I still haven't watched it and I don't really want to. I fucking hate Chris Evans.

I'm waiting for The Grand Tour.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom