New Top Gear- The Verdict

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12488
    Headphones;1090399" said:
    Who said it was a car show?

The old one wasn't; don't see why this should be.
    The old one at least made an attempt at reviewing cars at some point in the show, even if it was only Clarkson ragging the tyres off a supercar round a track. The new one was just a couple of people arsing about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1770
    In the previous topic I have said that it's just a TV show and I'll watch it just out of curiosity.
    Well... I did. Almost. I could not watch it for longer than 30mins and that is with very little attention given as I have guests with 3 children staying for few days.
    I was a tad surprised to see all the same furniture, same camera position, same formula ... but worse.
    It just looked like a poor copy of a mediocre show. Just not a great TV at all. Shame.
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 501
    I quite liked it. It doesn't have clarkson in it so that's a start.
    I never liked the rows of gurning sycophants in the studio but at least we won't have Jeremy sneering at them in future.
    What I'd really prefer is a proper car/ motorcycle show rather than the clownshoes, comedy roadshow of recent years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12039
    I've been getting my motoring fix on YouTube lately, notably on Motor Trend.

Top Gear format is okay, more jokey than serious, serves it's purpose but it is no longer the must see motoring show that it was.
  • Did anyone find it really hard to concentrate/take anything in when Evans was narrating his review? 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24624
    edited May 2016
    It was absolute shit from start to finish.

I'll discover this when I watch it on Iplayer later.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    It wasn't as terrible as I thought. The start was poor, and it genuinely seemed that CE was doing an actual Clarkson impression (albeit badly), but it improved after that. The Top Gun segment was as good a novelty car segment idea as Top Gear has had in a while, Matt Le Blanc's delivery was good and overall it was OK. 

But...

Chris Evans is the wrong choice. Might have been better to go with an unknown, to be honest, as maybe it is just that he has too much zany presenting baggage, but it just doesn't quite work.

Also, the UK vs US stuff was weak and overplayed, and the studio audience segments were poor (agree with the comment above about the audio).

It certainly isn't must see Sunday viewing any more, and I expect viewing figures will mirror that. I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC start talking to Clarkson et al in a few months time...
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I thought it was a bit TFI Sunday at first. Thing is, as well, for all their larking about both Clarkson and May were actual motoring journalists with years of experience reviewing cars. Evans is a petrolhead but it felt a bit Clarkson-lite.
    Use Your Brian
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3091
    Managed 10 minutes of the shite, never again.........the sunset with a glass o red was more interesting....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    i managed 25 minutes before jumping ship. i was actually looking forward to this and went in with a completely open mind.but...

eveans?- no, too shouty and trying waaay too hard. matt leblanc may as well have just been someone off the street, apart from a famous face i don`t think he added anything, but early days and all that. trying to keep too much of the old show "some say..." just didn`t seem right. the blackpool race segment was dull, it would have been amusing with the `old` crew. the top gun bit wasn`t engaging, got bored of that within a minute of it starting.

and finally, as well as the three presenters leaving they also took with them andy wilman. he was the bloke who effectively ran the show along with clarkson, designed most of the challenges and `races`. and it showed.

will watch again next week, but the first show was weak. 3 out of 10, must do better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Oh wow. The new improved tolerant and diverse Top Gear is a load of old wobbly shite is it? That's a shame!
  • jesonejesone Frets: 64
    Came over as awkward and contrived for the most part.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33906
    Le Blanc was pretty good.
    Evans... why was he shouting?
    Why was he talking like Clarkson?
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    octatonic said:

Because it's the same writers and producers
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33906
    wibble said:
    octatonic said:

Yes, but why didn't they realise that they HAD to break from tradition for it have any chance of working.

It was a bit like when your mate quotes lines from 'The Life of Brian'.
    Not funny and not remotely as good as Monty Python.
  • Evans was just being Evans

Not sure what you were expecting of him as that's his style, a shouty child like twat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12488
    The best comment I've seen on this shambles:

"It looked like a bunch of sixth formers doing a skit on Top Gear for the school show. "
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    wibble;1090606" said:
    With the exception of Andy Wilman.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Crap.  I agree LeBlanc could do the job well, but everything so contrived and pathetic re-hashes of old "new TG".

In the first 30 seconds with the glitzy introduction of Matt, and then the random "Here are some people I know from an Indian - it's me so you'll be interested" I think the tone was set.

Chris Harris appears to be relegated to the depths of the equivalent of "Big Brother's Little Brother" on BBC3 (not that anyone knows how to watch that channel anymore), presenting what must be described as DVD-Extras.  I wonder if they will let him drive a car some day.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4689
    It will be interesting to see what the interplay between Matt and Sabina will be like.