Conference calls

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4696
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
How many of you use conference call facilities such as Webex/Skype, etc?

One pain the the butt for me as I'm always on the move is remembering the PIN number. So I click on the conference call number, then have to input the meeting ID (which I have forgotten). So it's then back to email/calendar, just a hassle.
Why can't modern phones just dial the number and append the Meeting Id to the end so you are straight into the call.
Would make meetings when driving much much safer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    edited June 2016
    Axe_meister;76866" said:

One pain the the butt for me as I'm always on the move is remembering the PIN number. So I click on the conference call number, then have to input the meeting ID (which I have forgotten). So it's then back to email/calendar, just a hassle.
    Why can't modern phones just dial the number and append the Meeting Id to the end so you are straight into the call.
    You know it's illegal to use your phone when driving, right?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4696
    Not illegal if you are hands free, hence single number dial requirement.
    Axe_meister;1095267" said:
    Not illegal if you are hands free, hence single number dial requirement.
    Still illegal - even if you're hands free you can get done for using your phone. Realistically you should only be using the hands free option to tell the person that you will pull over and take their call in a safe place.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I hate them with a passion.

According to gov.co.uk

Using hands-free devices when driving
    You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.
    Axe_meister;1095274" said:
    According to gov.co.uk

Using hands-free devices when driving
    You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.
    Yep, and you should be stopped. Anyone who is stupid enough to carry out a conference call while driving deserves to be stopped and penalised. In my humble opinion.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've been doing it for 20 years and you'll probably find 10s of thousand of people doing it very day.
    Most business is done that way these days.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385

There are apps for Android and Windows phones that pull meeting info from your calendar and let you join those conferences with a couple of clicks. 

On my work Windows phone I use InstantMeeting by Plantronics, works quite well
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited June 2016
    chillidoggy;1095272" said:
    I hate them with a passion.
    So do I - though preferable to meetings....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Axe_meister;1095283" said:
    I've been doing it for 20 years and you'll probably find 10s of thousand of people doing it very day.
    Well, I think it's utter bollocks. If you think you are in control of your car while you're on a conference call you're living in a dream world. You should have your license taken off you. I've seen the aftermath of road traffic collisions where a driver was on the phone, and let me tell you, no matter how much "business" was achieved on that call, it really is not worth it. Especially to the families of the people who die. Dark, maybe, but true.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    It is no different to talking to the wife/kids/mates in the same car. In fact my eyes stay on the road rather than turning to the person next to me far fewer distractions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    If you say so
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Webex yeah - also have to look at the calendar email for the number
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    I do agree that people attending conference calls in cars should be pulled over by police....unless they also know hos to use their mute button.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1004
    A regular part of business - but not usually mobile; the extra noise winds everyone up quickly and they get told to "go away".

Had a fun experience on a video conference recently.  Worked out that the resolution was so low that we couldn't see what was on the tables.  This led to a game of naughts & crosses with marker pens on A4 sheets.  The other end though we were being very dilligent with the note taking.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Yeah i seem to be spending more and more of my time in conference calls, although mostly from my desk. We use Microsoft Lync (now called Skype for Business) which integrates with Outlook (and Office 365) brilliantly - you just click on the link in outlook and it dials you straight into the call including things like screen sharing.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    I wouldn't use screen sharing whilst driving.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    PC_Dave;1095291" said:
    [quote="Axe_meister;1095283"]I've been doing it for 20 years and you'll probably find 10s of thousand of people doing it very day.
    Well, I think it's utter bollocks. If you think you are in control of your car while you're on a conference call you're living in a dream world. You should have your license taken off you. I've seen the aftermath of road traffic collisions where a driver was on the phone, and let me tell you, no matter how much "business" was achieved on that call, it really is not worth it. Especially to the families of the people who die. Dark, maybe, but true. [/quote]

How is using hands free to talk on the phone anymore distracting than talking to someone else in the car?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I see the rozzers on the blower all the time, whilst eating donuts and drinking coffee
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13036
    Adam_MD said:
    PC_Dave;1095291" said:
    [quote="Axe_meister;1095283"]I've been doing it for 20 years and you'll probably find 10s of thousand of people doing it very day.
    Well, I think it's utter bollocks. If you think you are in control of your car while you're on a conference call you're living in a dream world. You should have your license taken off you. I've seen the aftermath of road traffic collisions where a driver was on the phone, and let me tell you, no matter how much "business" was achieved on that call, it really is not worth it. Especially to the families of the people who die. Dark, maybe, but true. [/quote]

How is using hands free to talk on the phone anymore distracting than talking to someone else in the car?
    Speaking for myself---When I'm working, people regularly ask me questions that require serious thought. There's no way I could control a vehicle safely and "work" at the same time. Either the work would suffer or the driving would. Either way it makes the call pointless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom