What was your first pedal, after doing your research, was the one you really wanted to buy?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Sassafras;1099845" said:
    You can research pedals till you're blue in the face but no amount of youtube demos and lists of transistors, capacitors and ICs will tell you how they'll sound in your hands and with your gear.When I started out a long time before the interweb the only way was try them out and that's still the most reliable indicator of whether they'll suit you or not.

Research is vastly overrated. You can waste so much time on it these days and still be none the wiser.

I miss the pre-internet days.
    I dunno.... I can pretty much judge through my laptop speakers if I'll like a pedal or not.

There's tonnes of bad demo spit there but if hear a bit of gear sound good even once in one demo then I know that it can do what I need it to. If that makes sense

Regards the OP, the first internet researched pedal I ever bought was the Keeley Mod Plus Tubescreamer.

My first pedal I ever bought was a Bespeco volume/wah from Tandy so I could play Voodoo Child
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    I don't really research pedals at all as I'm quite impulsive. I suppose I'm a sucker for trying out must haves and pedals that people post are awesome, more out of curiosity than anything. 

Come to the conclusion that unless you know the player and his rig, recommendations are more or less worthless. That said, there are a couple of people on here, who I now know have similar fx outlook to me, so I am always happy to have a dabble when they say something is awesome.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3117
    My first ever copy of Guitarist magazine (with a picture of Gary Moore on the front) had a glowing review for the Marshall Guv'nor. I REALLY wanted that. Finally bought it with some birthday money and I still have it on my board 26 years later. 

Good bit of early GAS that was.
  • Sassafras said:
    You can research pedals till you're blue in the face but no amount of youtube demos and lists of transistors, capacitors and ICs will tell you how they'll sound in your hands and with your gear.
    When I started out a long time before the interweb the only way was try them out and that's still the most reliable indicator of whether they'll suit you or not.

Research is vastly overrated. 
    You can waste so much time on it these days and still be none the wiser.
    I miss the pre-internet days.

This is have found, and to my (£) cost. I will never buy anything without trying it with my guitar and/or my model of amp, sometimes I'll take a pedalboard in. The internet lies to you sometimes.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Boss pn-2 because I wanted to be Jason Pierce of Spacemen 3 without the heroin habit.

a fine trem pedal but it wasn't a vox repeater :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2951
    edited June 2016
    Marshall Guvnor 2/plus. I pored over reviews etc for ages til I ended up buying it. And to be fair I was pretty satisfied, it was my main OD sound for a few years into my Fender HRDx. Then I got a keeley rat and found that did a more realistic feeling marshall tone.

I do kinda miss the "tone quest" I used to have with distortion pedals which kinda ended when I got my Laney amp. Though I may start up again since my Laney is a love hate relationship.