Moped/scooter

What's Hot

Comments

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4214
    There is no way in hell my Mrs would ever get on a bike, and the only time we get nowadays is weekends, so I am hardly gonna go off with the boys biking.
     I think an auto scooter seems best thing for me. Mrs has a small car, and I have my van which I prefer to drive.
    Will try and take a look soon. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • get an action cam and helmet mount when/if you get one, top fun and also can be useful if the worse happens..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    I am a big engine biker ,always have been but I think little nippy 125  automatic scooters are great -used one for a year to get around London in preference to the bike .........just easy and trouble free.........50cc is ok if you are an 8 stone kid but my 16 and a half stone heavy build overwhelms the lack of torque
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3327
    Dominic said:
    I am a big engine biker ,always have been but I think little nippy 125  automatic scooters are great -used one for a year to get around London in preference to the bike .........just easy and trouble free.........50cc is ok if you are an 8 stone kid but my 16 and a half stone heavy build overwhelms the lack of torque
    I agree lucky enough to own a Goldwing, 1198s Ducati and a 125cc Scooter - i enjoy each one as much and the scooter is awesome for whizzing around town and will do 60 on a dual.  Go scooter
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 619
    Don't get a 50cc. A 125 is a much better (and safer) bet. I used to be a CBT instructor and can heartily recommend the Honda CG125. Easy to ride and extremely reliable. Despite the abuse they got, they just kept going.
  • Dominic said:
    yeah many big bigger peeps will have an auto scooter in the shed for nipping about town, guy down the road from me never uses his 900cc in the winter always rev and go... 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Beexter said:
    Don't get a 50cc. A 125 is a much better (and safer) bet. I used to be a CBT instructor and can heartily recommend the Honda CG125. Easy to ride and extremely reliable. Despite the abuse they got, they just kept going.
    But the ohc engine was a lot nippier than that pushrod job. The CG was gutless.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    edited May 2018
    Trust me you DON'T want an automatic scooter. Or a moped. You want as near to a proper bike as you can get. If that means riding a speed restricted 125 until you've passed some kind of test then so be it, but get used to the controls of a proper bike while you're learning to ride, and then get a 'proper' bike even if it's a 250 (but by then you'll be wanting a 500 I promise you).
    Nothing wrong with auto scooters. I've had various Vespas over the years and they are fabulous. Got a Vespa Sei Giorni GTS 300 which does 85 and the handling, suspension, set-up are brilliant.

Image result for vespa sei giorni

Don't diss unless you've tried one?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Hattigol you jest, natch
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    exocet said:
    Many years ago I rode a 125cc scooter into London for my daily commute. I wouldn't want to mix it with busy traffic on anything smaller.
    I was thinking exactly the same. A good 125 would be just the job. Good security would be a must though. 
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited May 2018
    What you talking about, Willis? :) So long as the journey doesn't have stretches of dual carriageway or motorway, a moped would be OK in central London.

I spent years commuting into central London on an 800cc chopper and in the summer months, I'd drop off/pick up the wife too.

Over the years cars and vans got bigger, so the gaps got smaller.  There was also roadworks on Regent Street which widened the pavement and narrowed the road. The last four years of my central London commute were done on a de-restricted Piaggio Liberty 50 that could do 55mph. Although big bikes left me behind at the lights, I'd catch them up at the next lights and filter up to the front, through gaps they couldn't.

I work near Heathrow now, and have a pleasant commute on a Versys 650 through leafy Middlesex, where there's less traffic.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I have always had bigger bikes and was used to riding them in a particular way knowing I had plenty of power to get me out of potential trouble.

I jumped on my then wife's SR125 and was shocked at how I had to change my riding style to cope with the vast power reduction. I came home realising how vulnerable small bike riders are. I can't even comprehend how frightening it must be to ride a bicycle in a town/city!

Kudos to you guys!
  • Is there no cycle friendly route you could take? 
    I cycle a 20ish mile round trip each day no problem. Each 10mile journey takes about 45mins. 
    An electric bike would get you there with virtually no effort, even up steep hills.

Other than that I'd agree with everyone else- Scooters are great in town, but on Dual Carriageway I'm not sure if fancy it. 
    edited May 2018
    @Hattigol you jest, natch
    Nope. Save for snow and ice, I commute every day on my Vespa. Got a brand new PX 150 in my garage as well, which I'm keeping as a collectible.

I run a company that sells scooter helmets which should give you a clue that I'm not jesting...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4872
    <ship>

I work near Heathrow now, but the last four years of my central London commute were done on a de-restricted Piaggio Liberty 50 that could do 55mph. Although big bikes left me behind at the lights, I'd catch them up at the next lights and filter up to the front, through gaps they couldn't.
    <snip>
    55 MPH? That surprises me. Or did you mean kph? 

Auto scooters are great, though. No, they're not motorcycles but they're practical, cheap to run and often lots of fun.
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited May 2018
    It was 55mph, 90kph IIRC. Part of my journey was a 3 lane dual carriageway with a 40 limit, but the traffic flowed at 50.

Excuse me if you knew this already, "mopeds" are 50cc scooters, restricted to 30mph for the UK licence category AM.

One thing I did like about riding a moped was the leg shields kept showers off, so I'd go to places in jeans and trainers.  That took me a bit of time to get used to, having ridden for years in black leathers and boots.

Maybe not as safe if an accident would have happened, but it meant not having to walk around places for hours like RoboCop.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4872
    It was 55mph, 90kph IIRC. Part of my journey was a 3 lane dual carriageway with a 40 limit, but the traffic flowed at 50.

Excuse me if you knew this already, "mopeds" are 50cc scooters, restricted to 30mph for the UK licence category AM.

One thing I did like about riding a moped was the leg shields kept showers off, so I'd go to places in jeans and trainers.  That took me a bit of time to get used to, having ridden for years in black leathers and boots.

Maybe not as safe if an accident would have happened, but it meant not having to walk around places for hours like RoboCop.
    That's fast for a 50cc. I used to run a training school, so I do know the difference, but it's always worth reminding people... We used 50cc Peugeot Ludix scooters - they crashed well on the pad(!). I had two that were restricted (for 16 year olds) and two derestricted, but they'd only manage 45mph - hence my question. 

What a lot of 50cc riders don't realise is that moped entitlement (via your car licence) isn't valid if the "moped" has been derestricted - that makes it a scooter, and your licence and insurance may not be valid for the derestricted vehicle.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited May 2018
    in my day, us Dudes buzzed around up to 55mph on these beauties:

http://www.bikesrestored.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/yamahafs1e-1975-10.jpg

Other sad tossers had these:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

250cc is best................
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    57Deluxe said:
    in my day, us Dudes buzzed around up to 55mph on these beauties:

http://www.bikesrestored.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/yamahafs1e-1975-10.jpg

Other sad tossers had these:

FIZZIES! Great bikes.

Ludicrously, a bike would be exempt from the speed restrictions if they had pedals, I think? Bonkers but brilliant.

I had an RD50LC. No Fizzy but with a Micron exhaust, it was pretty decent...

Image result for yamaha rd50lc