Anton Yelchin from Star Trek dead at 27

What's Hot
DanRDanR Frets: 1041
Crushed by his own car apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36572649

I really liked him in most of his films especially Odd Thomas.

Such a shame and sounds a pretty horrible way to go.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    Aye, genuinely upset by this one.

Too young, lots of promise and a genuinely likeable guy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 472
    That's no age to go at. He was a great talent as well, could have been brilliant. Such a shame.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited June 2016
    He seemed to come across quite a likeable lad and apparently played guitar aswell.

It really does seem to be quite a depressing year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13039
    Sad news. I really liked him as Chekov :(
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    :(

A tragic reminder that you should always leave a car in gear when parked, or in Park if it's an automatic. That way it can't roll away if the handbrake fails. It worries me how few people do that, or know why - but almost every single case where someone is killed like this, or a car rolls away with a child in it, or onto a busy road or something and there is a serious accident, wouldn't have happened if it was left in gear.

RIP

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23616
    Very sad news.  I'd taken against him a bit after seeing the ropey Fright Night remake and Odd Thomas, but Green Room was the best film I saw last year and he was very good indeed in it.  And of course it's terrible that anyone so young should lose their life in whatever circumstances.  RIP.
    ICBM;1117469" said:
    :(

A tragic reminder that you should always leave a car in gear when parked, or in Park if it's an automatic. That way it can't roll away if the handbrake fails. It worries me how few people do that, or know why - but almost every single case where someone is killed like this, or a car rolls away with a child in it, or onto a busy road or something and there is a serious accident, wouldn't have happened if it was left in gear.

RIP
    I have always been taught the opposite, and I only finally passed my test 4 years ago so I can remember most of what I was taught.

I was told to turn the wheel in towards the pavement if parked on a hill.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    RIP. I really liked him in Star Trek :(
    All practice and no theory
    edited June 2016
    WezV said:
    I have always been taught the opposite
    Why? I would like to know the logic behind that. My driving instructor drummed into me that the handbrake can't be relied on and you should always back it up.

If it's so someone doesn't try to start the car with it still in gear, that's bad logic too - because you should always check before you do.

WezV said:
    I was told to turn the wheel in towards the pavement if parked on a hill.
    That is a good idea. Not sure it would have helped here with it being on a drive though :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    :o

Re leaving a car in gear. I never do that, mostly because I'd forget to press the clutch in when starting the engine and if somebody is parked too close to me, I'd end up jerking forward and hitting the..

?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    I always turn the wheel toward the pavement when parked on a hill. 

Very surprising story - really awful :(
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    edited June 2016
    So he parked up, got out the car, walked behind it back to the house but it rolled back and then crushed him?

I always leave my car in the opposite gear to the way it would roll if the handbrake failed. So in reverse when facing down a hill, and in first when facing up. The first thing I do when getting in the car is press the clutch down, because when I first started driving I forgot to do so and then smashed in to the house when I turned the key.

I'll also start turning towards the pavement now as well.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    He was a great actor. I liked him in his more fluffy roles and films like Like Crazy showed he had chops. I'll be watching Green Room for sure.
    My V key is broken
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    This happened to Brian Harvey. Thankfully he's still with us though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Didn't Brian Harvey say it happened because he'd eaten too many jacket potatoes though?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM;1117539" said:
    WezV said:I have always been taught the opposite

Why? I would like to know the logic behind that. My driving instructor drummed into me that the handbrake can't be relied on and you should always back it up.

If it's so someone doesn't try to start the car with it still in gear, that's bad logic too - because you should always check before you do.

WezV said:I was told to turn the wheel in towards the pavement if parked on a hill.

That is a good idea. Not sure it would have helped here with it being on a drive though :(.

I dunno, and I am not saying you are wrong. Just that 3 different driving instructors over 10 years have all told me never to leave the car in gear when parked.

Just to clarify, I am not a terrible driver. I never learned when I was 17. Started at 21, but moved after a few months and didn't start again till I was 30. I did actually pass my test first time with only one minor :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    This makes me very sad. He, along with Karl Urban, was the best thing about the new Treks. Always seemed a really nice guy too. 

As for cars in gear, I literally can't leave my car in gear while parked.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Sad .. he was very good in the first Star Trek reboot film ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I've only seen him in Star Trek and he was good.

Terrible way to go too.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

WezV said:
    I dunno, and I am not saying you are wrong. Just that 3 different driving instructors over 10 years have all told me never to leave the car in gear when parked.
    Worrying to hear that, when it would have saved this poor chap's life.

As for cars in gear, I literally can't leave my car in gear while parked.
    Because it's an automatic? That's what 'Park' does - locks the gearbox.