Anton Yelchin from Star Trek dead at 27

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    ICBM;1118109" said:
    WezV said:I dunno, and I am not saying you are wrong. Just that 3 different driving instructors over 10 years have all told me never to leave the car in gear when parked.

Worrying to hear that, when it would have saved this poor chap's life.

stickyfiddle said:As for cars in gear, I literally can't leave my car in gear while parked.

Because it's an automatic? That's what 'Park' does - locks the gearbox.
    It's a VW DSG. It's called P on the lever but not sure if that actually locks it or not
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    It's a VW DSG. It's called P on the lever but not sure if that actually locks it or not
    You can easily find out. Stop on a slope, put it in P and take the handbrake off.

I'd be surprised if it didn't, but who knows - you can't engage the handbrake on my Renault when the car is moving, and I always thought the handbrake had to be capable of acting as an emergency brake if the main ones fail.

It sounds like this kind of always-have-a-backup thinking is becoming a thing of the past now though. It's tragic that someone has died because of it, but he isn't the first and won't be the last. :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    stickyfiddle;1118114" said:
    [quote="ICBM;1118109"]WezV said:I dunno, and I am not saying you are wrong. Just that 3 different driving instructors over 10 years have all told me never to leave the car in gear when parked.

Worrying to hear that, when it would have saved this poor chap's life.

stickyfiddle said:As for cars in gear, I literally can't leave my car in gear while parked.

Because it's an automatic? That's what 'Park' does - locks the gearbox.
    It's a VW DSG. It's called P on the lever but not sure if that actually locks it or not[/quote]

It does - I've got the same :)

I rarely use the handbrake on the flat, just leave it in P.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    I also have auto handbrake... You can definitely switch that off, but it works brilliantly, so I never do.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23616
    Wow, who'd have thought an RIP thread would turn into a debate about handbrakes and gearboxes?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Philly_Q said:
    Wow, who'd have thought an RIP thread would turn into a debate about handbrakes and gearboxes?
    Sorry. I felt I had to mention it since it's very likely it has an important bearing on why he died. If it makes anyone else think about it, that would be worth it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2016
    This is not nice news. Apparently his specific model of Jeep has already had a recall for rollaway problems due to lack of clarity when the car was in P or N. :(

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23616
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Sorry. I felt I had to mention it since it's very likely it has an important bearing on why he died. If it makes anyone else think about it, that would be worth it.

I'm only (gently) taking the piss.

Some friends of mine have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I was in it yesterday as a matter of fact.  I wonder if they're aware of what the Daily Mail is unhysterically calling the "dangerous design flaw" which makes it "easy to forget" if the car's in neutral or park....