anyone on a mac use an alternative to iTunes?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
iTunes is just the biggest crock of sh*te ever and I'm fed up with it. I wish to exterminate this turgid, ill-conceived, dysfunctional piece of crap from my computer and use something better. 

Anyone use anything different?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    iTunes is just somewhere that holds my music that I've ripped from CDs over the years and occasionally use if the album isn't on Spotify. But 99% of the time I use Spotify for everything these days.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Winamp is still around I think? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    axisus said:
    iTunes is just the biggest crock of sh*te ever and I'm fed up with it. 
    I got locked into it through my iPod (and now iPad) use.

I've tried various alternatives through the years.  I found one that was OK (red chair, or somesuch) but that defuncted a while back.

Most of the alternatives I found were very good at being not-iTunes, but not particularly good at being a viable replacement.

I use it as little as I possibly can - so just for backing up and syncing to i-devices, with the configuration very carefully set-up to minimise any damage that it can wreak elsewhere.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Agree, it's awful. I just tolerate it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    edited June 2016
    I've had a Mac for 4 years and after initial resistance I gave in and now very much like iTunes. I turn off all of the connect and other crap in settings and just have My Music and iTunes Store available. It's my repository with 3500 albums. I also have movies and TV series in there too, all organised and tagged with the covers, and I use Doug Scripts for editing track data etc. I much prefer browsing the covers in the albums view and playing from there. What is it that you don't like about it?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    I've used this on Linux for years:

Runs on OS X and Windows, too. It's simple, it's clean and it just does what it says on the tin.

Oh, and it doesn't muck around with your files either.
    <space for hire>
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    I too am stuck using iTunes on a Mac and dearly wish there was an alternative that would import al my playlists. I've never come across one though.

iTunes is a pain in the arse. It loses songs and albums, its search function is deeply unreliable and it's just cumbersome. If anyone knows of software that will replace it and import all my current playlists, I'd love to know about it too.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    What is it that you don't like about it?
    It's absolutely anti-intuitive (to me, at least) user interface
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    It s very restrictive on what formats it plays and one update overwrote all the library prefs and tried to move a 300gb library stored on another internal drive to the 256gb boot SSD, needless to say that that was interesting.
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    I use iTunes on a PC and it works well for me. The biggest pain was when i ticked the option to let iTunes manage my library, then had a similar issue to @sweepy

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Now, whenever iTunes updates I double check the prefs
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    iTunes works extremely well if you let it manage your library. The issues happens when people tick that box then assume they can override it themselves and then iTunes can't find the songs. It's the same with any cataloguing program - Lightroom is exactly the same. It can't know where you've moved something to if you don't tell it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6175
    edited June 2016
    I've had a Mac for 4 years and after initial resistance I gave in and now very much like iTunes. I turn off all of the connect and other crap in settings and just have My Music and iTunes Store available. It's my repository with 3500 albums. I also have movies and TV series in there too, all organised and tagged with the covers, and I use Doug Scripts for editing track data etc. I much prefer browsing the covers in the albums view and playing from there. What is it that you don't like about it?
    It loses and or deletes whole albums. I get on with it okay, use it for albums and videos. I don't use the store side of it. I think it's ended up as such a dogs dinner as Apple take advantage of the fact that it's one of the very few Mac applications that Windows users install and so they added functionality to it that it was never intended for.
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    So, for those of us that loathe it, is there an alternative that can preserve our current playlists?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Off the top of my head:

It can't always find info (which is on Gracenote)
    It doesn't group double CDs together as one album
    Some individual tracks it refuses to put with the album
    can't find cover art work a lot of the time
    keeps downloading apps to my limited space laptop
    won't always let me reorder tracks the way I want to
    has f******* annoying desire to control everything you do
    Incredibly annoying interfacing with ipod ipad etc
    Some albums if I remove them from iTunes it want's to delete them from my mac altogether
    no ability to organise albums in the way I want to
    Stole £11 from my account
    annoying handling of compilation albums

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Never lost or deleted an album for me in 4 years of use. I let iTunes manage the files and I take car of the tags etc. I drag an album of MP3 into the interface and it copies the files, I find the tracks format the tags etc and add artwork and delete the original files, it couldn't be simpler to use. You have to let go of the need to manage the files yourself which is counter intuitive to Windows users, as it was for me initially

axisus;1119822" said:
    RandallFlagg said:

Off the top of my head:

It can't always find info (which is on Gracenote)It doesn't group double CDs together as one albumSome individual tracks it refuses to put with the albumcan't find cover art work a lot of the timekeeps downloading apps to my limited space laptopwon't always let me reorder tracks the way I want tohas f******* annoying desire to control everything you doIncredibly annoying interfacing with ipod ipad etcSome albums if I remove them from iTunes it want's to delete them from my mac altogetherno ability to organise albums in the way I want toStole £11 from my accountannoying handling of compilation albums
    All of these issues are easily rectified by using the track info metadata tags, and yes if you delete an album from iTunes it will delete it from your machine, why would you want it any other way?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    RandallFlagg said: if you delete an album from iTunes it will delete it from your machine, why would you want it any other way?
    Seeing as you asked: At work I only listen to instrumental music. I wanted to clear everything else out of the interface, but I want to keep the stuff as I may require it at some point here.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    Never lost or deleted an album for me in 4 years of use. I let iTunes manage the files and I take car of the tags etc. I drag an album of MP3 into the interface and it copies the files, I find the tracks format the tags etc and add artwork and delete the original files, it couldn't be simpler to use. You have to let go of the need to manage the files yourself which is counter intuitive to Windows users, as it was for me initially
    Is it really beyond the scope of your imagining that people can have problems with it? Letting iTunes manage the files is exactly what causes a lot of the problems, if your setup is anything other than exactly as default (ie how the developers "test" it).
    <space for hire>
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6175
    axisus;1119822" said:
    RandallFlagg said:

Off the top of my head:

It can't always find info (which is on Gracenote)It doesn't group double CDs together as one albumSome individual tracks it refuses to put with the albumcan't find cover art work a lot of the timekeeps downloading apps to my limited space laptopwon't always let me reorder tracks the way I want tohas f******* annoying desire to control everything you doIncredibly annoying interfacing with ipod ipad etcSome albums if I remove them from iTunes it want's to delete them from my mac altogetherno ability to organise albums in the way I want toStole £11 from my accountannoying handling of compilation albums
    All of these issues are easily rectified by using the track info metadata tags, and yes if you delete an album from iTunes it will delete it from your machine, why would you want it any other way?
    Not entirely true. If you delete an album from iTunes library, it will ask you if you wish to move it to trash - you have the option of keeping the source files.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom