anyone on a mac use an alternative to iTunes?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Main problems I had with iTunes was:

Letting iTunes manage my collection <- big mistake
    "Losing" artwork on CD's, though to be fair I had, at that time, let iTunes find the artwork, maybe CD is delisted? Anyway, I now scan in the artwork for each CD i rip (using EAC).
    Yes, odd song doesn't show as part of album, haven't resolved this one fully yet. Usually because of a space at the end of the album title.

Apart from those I'm OK with iTunes and I want to preserve the playcount. Now if their was a way to get the info from iTunes into discog...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    sweepy said:
    Now, whenever iTunes updates I double check the prefs
    From bitter experience I back everything up before letting iTunes do an update - the biggest annoyance by far is moving tracks into the cloud without asking. (apart from the unreliability of course).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    Never lost or deleted an album for me in 4 years of use.
    Don't worry - it will !

Back everything up regularly
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    edited June 2016
    Jalapeno said:
    Never lost or deleted an album for me in 4 years of use.
    Don't worry - it will !

Back everything up regularly

I do back up, 2 copies one in the house one held out of house. 3500 albums, no issues for me but I do use it as a 100% repository, I can see how some users may have trouble if you only want some of your music library in iTunes, it is designed to be all or nothing. I chose to change the way I store and listen to music to fit with iTunes rather than try and make iTunes fit a different way of doing things.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    I've been using iTunes for 12 years. The only library related problems I've ever had resulted from a crashing computer corrupting the file, which wasn't itunes' fault. I have no idea what you lot are doing but I imagine Mr Jobs would say you're using wrong!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    I have no idea what you lot are doing but I imagine Mr Jobs would say you're using wrong!
    Having been called in on many occasions to fix stuff that iTunes had badly broken, I've concluded one thing: this is true. At least...it is in the sense that I've only ever seen problems where iTunes (or the machine, whether Mac or PC) is set up in such a manner that it deviates from the defaults in any small way whatsoever.

If you just accept the default setup, it's pretty likely that you won't see problems. If you don't, then...problems.

Which, if you think about it, is a hallmark of Really Shitty Software.
    <space for hire>
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4880
    Back to the OP question.

Me. I play my music files on the Mac with Vox. It plays FLAC and 24bit WAV files as well as everything else. 

I still have iTunes installed, because I've not found any other way of moving music to my iPad and iPhone. My iTunes library sits on a WD Cloud NAS. Vox can read the iTunes library and play music files stored there.