Glastonbury - thoughts

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6271
Watched quite a bit of the whole thing via Iplayer.

Coldplay - how boring? Yes a polished performance, and yes talent to write songs that millions love, but fk me they are so bland. Chris Martin-  what's with all this bumming his piano seat he does? Quite off putting.

Adele - again, good set of pipes, but so boring.

Beck - yes.

PJ Harvey - mey shes's talented, but I do find the later stuff (whilst clever) not as good as here early and0m id point material. Thought the performance of To Bring You My Love was awesome.

New Order - brilliant, though Barney is getting a bit of a tubber.

ELO - just so very very good. Not just head and shoulders better than any other band that was on, but a good few bus lengths.

Flags - anyone with a flag at a festival needs a bit of a shoeing really. Obnoxious.

Lots of smaller interesting bands on too, Sea Bed, liked them. Must also catch up on Joh Grant's set, he usually puts a good show on. Talent,.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Muddy and wet.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Muse were the best of the Headliners (and I'm saying that as a non-Muse fan). 

Adele's set was good in that she seemed genuinely over the moon that she was there. 

Coldplay's set was OK (the effect with the wrist bands made for good TV), but ending with Michael Eavis doing My Way was terrible and completely pointless. 

I haven't caught any other bands yet as I spent most of the weekend driving. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I thought ELO were incredibly boring compared to Coldplay.

So in answer to your question, not very boring at all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    I was watching GNR in Detroit, much better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3387
    The worst year I can remember watching tbh. Even the artists I love, I lost interest in during their sets. ELO are one of them bands that just sounds like a CD playing. Totally Wonderful, but just too perfect. Coldplay were better than the radio1 thing a few weeks ago, but just totally bland people. ZZ top are way past it too.
  • I really enjoyed new order but its not the same without Hooky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16398
    I've only been once but had a lovely time. The headliners were shit then but you make your own agenda between the different stages. Yet to find much on iplayer I've particularly enjoyed (well, I like Madness but that's just them being Madness and no Savages as yet on there ) but I'm sure had I been there I would have had a gay old time.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6603
    edited June 2016
    I thought Beck was flipping rubbish, myself.

I don't own any of his stuff, but had heard he was one to watch. Very little personality coming over, the songs were too laid back and groove-orientated to hold the attention and he was outplayed and outsung by his band.

Coldplay... A band I have been very vocal in my critcism of, but let's be honest as a live festival act they must take some beating? The illuminated wristbands that were synchronised with the lighting are a stroke of genius (I know they have done them for a while at Coldplay gigs, just never seen it for myself before). Still find Chris Martin generally off-putting, though.
    And I would defy anyone I know to name any member of the band except for Martin without resorting to Google...(How can a bass player who has played so many massive shows still look like he is in a nervous teenage band at their first battle of the bands gig?!)

ZZ Top....crying shame but pretty bad.

New Order are a band I like a lot, they always sound great live UNTIL Bernard opens his out-of-tune gob and ruins it all. Stephen Morris looks like a special needs too. Sorry, how un PC of me..

Spotted a band on the red button I thought were pretty good, albeit not my kinda thing...Turned out to be the terribly-named Catfish and the Bottlemen.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    I'm just too set in my ways and old to enjoy what the young uns like. I quite enjoyed White Denim but even they weren't up to the usual. Pfft.

Hopefully they can entice some proper acts to be headliners soon. (I don't know who to suggest though). :( :(
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Nothing on tv that got me interested to be honest-will have a dig through the smaller acts and will hopefully find some good stuff.

Pretty uninspiring line up for me.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2226
    Haven't caught all of it but I liked
    Muse
    Adele
    Earth Wind And Fire

ZZ Top were very disappointing for me because I was a huge fan in their early days

Guitar man of the match was Serg Dimitrijevic of Earth Wind And Fire. I was blown away by his rhythm guitar playing.

It's not a competition.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    edited June 2016
    M83 - Ridiculously good
    LCD Soundsystem - A religious experience
    Foals - Pretty great
    Daughter - Great band, rubbish crowd
    Savages - Needed to be there to get the full power
    ZZ Top - Awful
    Wolf Alice - Needed a smaller stage
    Chvrches - Great as usual
    New Order - The best they've been in ages
    Stop crying, start buying
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13049
    Stephen Morris looks like a special needs too. Sorry, how un PC of me..

Adding that little disclaimer doesn't make the first sentence any better. Not cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7898
    Half Moon Run - very underrated, always excellent
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I've been trawling through some of it. I'm currently watching Mercury Rev, who are very underwhelming; very samey. Apart from the saw.

Daughter were very good
    Hinds were OK, but a bit on-dimensional... sort of thing I used to hear back in the 80's!
    PJ Harvey was good, I thought. Interesting band too.
    ZZ Top - well it's all been said. This year's Motorhead?
    St. Etienne - disappointing
    Mystery Jets were touted as 'Space Rock' on the iPlayer and sounded like another dance outfit with a guitar.
    Tame Impala weren't very good (I just don't like their present 'direction')
    The Phillip Glass thing conducted by Charles Hazelwood was very good
    What I saw of Protoje was very good indeed
    Unknown Mortal Orchestra weren't as good as I was hoping - but that's just me not liking the tunes

White Denim and Beck next I think. 

Having said all that, I found the programme from Glastonbury 1986 the other day, and there weren't that many bands I was into on the bill and as far as I remember I had a great time... mind it was gloriously sunny!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Guys what was wrong with zz top?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16398
    I've only seen one Protoje track on the TV. It was very good, IMHO, and had I been there the one act I'd have been down the front for. Great band; the recordings not that guitar driven so I wasn't sure what he would be like live.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2657
    edited June 2016
    Enjoyed PJ Harvey, Expolosions in The Sky and Sigur Ros very much, didn't see anyone else.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited June 2016
    Not a good year IMHO.
    Muse - soulless - great tunes and musicianship but could be machines.
    ELO - boring - never liked them back then either.
    Disappointed with the Philip Glass Heroes symphony and I say this as a Glass /Bowie/Hazlewood fan.

ZZ Top are sadly just too old - the other guy just played single finger bass on a keyboard.

Good :
    PJHarvey
    Earth Wind and Fire - cracking - seeing a big band having a great time and playing really well
    Christine and the Queens on the Beeb acoustic backstage - tres bonne..
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779

Enjoyed PJ Harvey very much. How many middle aged blokes playing Jazzmasters through AC30s does she need?

I must seek out Explosions In The Sky on iPlayer, I have a few of their early albums.