Glastonbury - thoughts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495

Enjoyed PJ Harvey very much. How many middle aged blokes playing Jazzmasters through AC30s does she need?

Well if she's looking for another, I'm sure I could digup an AC30
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    thomasross20;1128054" said:
    Guys what was wrong with zz top?
    Where to start? They all looked tired and disinterested. Dusty has been suffering shoulder problems so can't play the bass for any length of time. They stuck him behind a keyboard playing sampled bass. His voice was never great but it's completely shot now.

Billy Gibbons was awful. His tone was weedy and his timing was way off.

Frank Beard looks half dead.

They did a really lousy cover of Foxy Lady.

They've been doing the same old stage schtick for years: Billy Gibbons asks for a cigar, Billy and Dusty do little coordinated moves etc etc. It was ok the first time, now it's just turned into a cheese fest.

I'm a fan btw, I've liked them since the 70s and I've got all their albums, but that was a piss poor effort. They really should call it a day with touring.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6271

New Order are a band I like a lot, they always sound great live UNTIL Bernard opens his out-of-tune gob and ruins it all. Stephen Morris looks like a special needs too. Sorry, how un PC of me..

Mate, BErnard is off key on record, never mind live, for me its just part of the overall sound. No, they aren't the same without HOoky, but they are good. Stephen Morris is a superb drummer, always has been, awesome. Him and his good lady (keyboards) crack me uip - like an old middle aged couple, but rocking.

I've seen Beck live, and he was very very good.

All in though, I didn't think the whole festival was that good.

Nothing as disappointing as The Who at the IOW though. They really should pack it in IMO.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    dogload said:
    Having said all that, I found the programme from Glastonbury 1986 the other day, and there weren't that many bands I was into on the bill and as far as I remember I had a great time... mind it was gloriously sunny!
    I was at that one! First time I saw Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians. I missed The Psychedelic Furs thanks to the "Peace Convoys" screwing up the traffic. Apart from RH the other highlight as far as I was concerned was The Housemartins on Sunday afternoon.I'd still take either of them over Adele or Coldplay.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • simonsimon Frets: 41
    edited June 2016
    Guys what was wrong with zz top?
    It felt like I was watching and listening to them in slow-motion to be honest. Really disappointing. Their lacklustre cover of Foxy Lady was a particular lowlight.

I'm off to play my copy of Tres Hombres at top volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6603
    Stephen Morris looks like a special needs too. Sorry, how un PC of me..

Adding that little disclaimer doesn't make the first sentence any better. Not cool.

True, comment retracted. Apologies to all. I shall try to rephrase it to capture what I really meant: His awkward manner is at odds with the precision of his drumming.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    LSD Soundsystem, superb. Glad they are back working together, very talented and make great music,.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Sorry to hear about ZZ Top!

Surprised Muse weren't great. 

I always thought Coldplay were dreadfully dull...

Surely the best festivals are the ROCK ones!?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Surprised Muse weren't great. 

But they were.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    I'm looking forward to seeing the LCD Soundsystem set, i thought Adele was very sweary, Coldplay and Sigur Ros looked pretty but the rest of what i saw (Foals, Explosions in the sky) was pretty tame by my festival standards (Reading 1991, 92 & 2012 and Glasto 2010)
  • was hoping Foy Vance would be on the full set section of iPlayer but unfortunately no, I would expect him to be superb though.. Elle King sounded pretty darn good.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Foy Vance? He'll be good!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    edited June 2016
    This is a rather delighful shot though

Luckily Glastonbury IS all about the experience and the music is a interesting aside .. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The flags are annoying, but they do make for some great photos (if you like concerts to resemble the gathering of a medieval army)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    DesVegas said:

Luckily Glastonbury IS all about the experience and the music is a interesting aside .. 
    wis'd.   There is a reason glasto tickets will sell out before the line-up is announced.

The years I went I actually chose to miss great bands because so much other fun stuff was happening
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Madness, yay! Did I mention Suggs had played with my band......ahem....

I didn't watch amy of it to he honest, I've got some stored up on iPlayer but. as others have said, the music is very much secondary to the Glasto experience. It's mainly about the hot cinnamon cider from what I can remember!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16397
    Tuscan777;1128473" said:
    Madness, yay! Did I mention Suggs had played with my band......ahem....

I didn't watch amy of it to he honest, I've got some stored up on iPlayer but. as others have said, the music is very much secondary to the Glasto experience. It's mainly about the hot cinnamon cider from what I can remember!
    Suggs played with your band? No, you never, ever mentioned that... :-B
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 472
    edited June 2016
    Got back to Kent at 4pm, having been sat in the car at half 6 in the morning and needing a tow out of the field we were in. The pictures didn't really do it justice - the mud was literally everywhere and claiming plenty of wellies.

Set-up of bands is still much quicker than at other festivals and the sound was mostly good this year. Mixing was usually good and only a few glitches with the equipment. This doesn't always come across in the TV recordings which is a shame, but I haven't watched any other sets yet so jury's out at this point.

Performance of the weekend (of the ones that I saw) was by far LCD Soundsystem. They absolutely smashed it with a brilliant set list and their sound was immense. An absolute treat to see them in such fine form. Sigur Ros were a close second; Jonsi's guitar playing and vocal performance was stunning to watch.

Gear wise, a lot of Jazzmasters and AC30s about. Special mention to Billy Gibbon's for using an SG with that weird tailpiece and the bassist for Sigur Ros using an e-bow on a bass, which was definitely a first for me.