Brexit Voters who Shouldn't Have

What's Hot
exocetexocet Frets: 1985
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
This is not meant as a thread to through insults at people who honestly believe that they voted for the right reasons.
This is to capture examples of where people made a mistake (misunderstood something) or were blatantly malicious.

I was discussing the current state of affairs today with someone in our office. He's new, in his early 50s and I've never spoken to him before.

He admitted to "breaking friendship" with 2 neighbours who voted out. He's known them for many years, they are Australian or at least have the right to live in both UK and Australia.

They basically stated that they thought it would be interesting to see what happened by voting out and that they were planning to go back to Australia to live in 2 years anyway....
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    edited June 2016
    I'm the opposite. I voted remain (after a couple of months of see-sawing) but should have voted leave really. Not that it makes any difference, seeing as how they won. I think it presents a world of opportunity. I'm really optimistic.
    Use Your Brian
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    edited June 2016
    YouGov poll shows 91% of Leave voters oppose a second referendum, 6% favour a second referendum and 3% don't know.

On that basis Leave would still win even if every self-defined Bregretter changed their mind. I'm not including the people on Facebook who claim to be regretful Leavers even though they actually voted Remain. Because they're devious, butt-hurt lying bastards, obviously

Anyway, the French and the EC will never let us have another referendum (they want us gone, tout suite) so The Regretful Ones will just have to live with the consequences till the end of their days. Which is only fair, really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29171
    edited June 2016

YouGov poll shows 91% of Leave voters oppose a second referendum, 6% favour a second referendum and 3% don't know.
    Does it say how they'd vote if there was a second referendum? That's a different question after all. Not all remain voters favour a second go, after all.

Though if the remainers stayed remainers and 6% of the leavers changed it would indeed change the result.
    17,410,742 would become 16,366,097 to leave. 16,141,241 to remain would become 17,185,886. I am not suggesting this would necessarily happen, but the margin was slim.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    What would be more useful is to find out how many of the 28% who didn't vote would vote, and which way.

I suspect a lot of people couldn't be bothered because they assumed Remain would win, despite the opinion polls in the week before indicating that was by no means a foregone conclusion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2016
    Leave - it's the right decision. Remainers have to wake up to the fact that we're not full members anyway - we don't have the Euro so we're not involved in any of the big economic decisions made by the Euro zone members. Our PM (Tory or Labour) has to go and negotiate opt outs from this and that - how long will the EU put up with that? It's embarrassing - either you sign up as a full member, dump the pound for the Euro, and join Junker's Mad Hatter's tea party, or you quietly leave. And the Catholic Europe hates the Anglo Saxon capitalists.

And I laugh when I here those from the Remain camp say "the EU's not perfect (then leave) but we can reform it". There's more chance of us convincing the US to ban guns.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    Sporky said:

Does it say how they'd vote if there was a second referendum? That's a different question after all. Not all remain voters favour a second go, after all.
    As it happens, it doesn't (results here). But there's tons of other useful info. 

I shall have a dig around and pull out anything interesting or inconvenient such as: 

* A majority of LibDem voters oppose a second referendum by 52:41 - bad news for wee Timmy Farron who's been swanning around saying a second ref will be LibDem policy. Watch him back-pedal that one at conference.

* A mere 49% of 15-24's reckon there should be another referendum (presumably with the proviso that they won't turn out to vote)

* A majority of those over 25 are against a second ref. And it's not just the crumblies - only 1/3 of 25-49 year-olds support a return to the polling booths

* The prospect of Scotland leaving is seen as marginally less of a reason to have a second referendum than the Brexit result itself. 

* And what of the Scots themselves? Surely they must be gagging for Ref2? Oops! - only 28% of Scots want a second bite at the cherry

* In none of the regions is there any real appetite to go back to the booths - except one. Step forward London where it's a split 45:45

No politician in their right mind is going to support a second referendum with figures like that. Bad luck, Jeremy Hunt - there go your leadership prospects.

Guess us Remainers are just going to have to suck it up and abide by the will of the people. :-)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I haven't discussed my vote with anyone, either on Facebook or in life. Some people just get too het up. I have two friend who incessantly moan about the exit on Facebook and it is really getting on my tits. Think I'm gonna block all their posts for a few weeks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    I have a mate who voted leave (he told me over a beer) but posted the opposite on FB. The planet is probably 1 degree warmer due to the hot air, venom and server overload as people vent on FB.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29171
    As it happens, it doesn't (results here). But there's tons of other useful info. 
    Most interesting, thank you for the link.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    I don't think we should have a second referendum either.

In my opinion Parliament should simply overrule this one, for several reasons, and if they're not prepared to do that then we just have to make the best we can of the consequences.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3452
    skankdelvar;1131927" said:
    Sporky said:

* A majority of LibDem voters oppose a second referendum by 52:41
    That's probably actual numbers, not percentages, too :)
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

I shall have a dig around and pull out anything interesting or inconvenient such as: 

* A majority of LibDem voters oppose a second referendum by 52:41 - bad news for wee Timmy Farron who's been swanning around saying a second ref will be LibDem policy. Watch him back-pedal that one at conference.
    Any idea how the survey was done? I don't have a lot of faith in polls at the moment.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I can't see myself ever falling out with a leave voter f he voted that way because he genuinely believed it was in the countries best interests.. that's totally cool by me

however, if I found myself in the company of a leave voter that did so just to protest,
    I can see myself punching him in the face a few times
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    I would quite happily sever all ties with a friend who was a leave voter.
    Fortunately I don't have any friends.......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

Does it say how they'd vote if there was a second referendum? 
    No it doesn't. But the figures above (and in the report) give one a pretty good sense that Remain will blink first when it comes to  a second referendum, precisely because no one except the Twittersphere can be arsed to go through that hell again.
    Fretwired said:
    Any idea how the survey was done? I don't have a lot of faith in polls at the moment.

Dunno. It was YouGov and they're crowing elsewhere about their online sampling being more accurate. So I suppose it was online. Sample of 1750 so normal sort of size. 

Thing that gives it veracity is the profound polarisation of views (91%!) and the huge disparities for and against. None of that 'mimsying around in the middle, 52:48' shit.

We're talking 60's, 70's 80's. Them's figures leave no room for doubt. Ref2 is dead  before it even gets started.

And so - to an extent - are Ms Sturgeon's hopes when we look at the dreary Scots figures and then think about her reception in Brussels today. Poor cow had no sooner landed than she had the door slammed in her face by anyone that matters. 

OK, Fatty Schultz met with her but he's clearly a slaphead perv who fancies his chances.
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    The people who want a second referendum want to do so on the terms that this one didn't get 60% of the vote right? Even if all the leavers who wanted a second referendum voted leave and all the remain-ers stayed, they would be well off of the 60% mark.

So it would be inconclusive, vastly multiply the uncertainty in the UK, and as everyone has been saying uncertainty is the reason banks, stocks, and currency is all over the place.

So we would go through even more of this economic crap short term, potentially hurting our medium term economy, just to please some voters who were on the wrong side of democracy.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Nobody should have voted
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24695
    Anyway, the French and the EC will never let us have another referendum (they want us gone, tout suite) so The Regretful Ones will just have to live with the consequences till the end of their days. Which is only fair, really.
    The only people who have any say in whether we have another referendum are the British people and the British Govt !  The French nor the EU have any say whatsoever !  They may bleat and complain, but tough shit.

I think a second referendum is fine.  I would welcome it.  Many people have admitted to voting leave as a protest vote but didn't really want to leave.  If another referendum is conducted, that reflects the updated view of the people.  What's wrong with that ?  (Except this time change the bloody rules so no side can win with a tiny majority).

Having another referendum is no different to asking someone 'are you sure ?' when they refuse a slice of cake.  What we have now are a lot of people who said no, but really wanted some cake.  Insisting they can't have any cake now is just mean.

The only problem - and it's a big bastard - is how to justify a second referendum without it appearing to run roughshod over democratic principles.  The fact that it would actually be more democratic if we had a proper majority one way or the other won't be enough to avoid serious criticism.  However - when the stakes are this high, maybe the Govt ought to step in and say "Nope.... we're not doing it - it's obviously against the best interests of the country - vote us out if you don't like the job we're doing - that's democracy".

You can't run a bloody country by asking the people what to do !  That's what we employ the Govt to do !
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."