Brexit Voters who Shouldn't Have

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29171

Getting annoyed by people keep saying I'm a monster for voting leave because the stock market dropped a bit the following day. Perhaps I voted based on what I think will be best long-term, not based on my short-term finances.

I love the irony of lefties attacking leavers who chose their long-term beliefs over short-term finances... (Like this one going round Facebook http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-peter-hargreaves-lansdown-leave-eu-referendum-share-price-a7108871.html)
    It's getting tiring having some leavers paint all remainers as anti-democratic, intolerant snobs. "Lefties" indeed. Does that mean that all leavers are right-wing, or is it just a neat way to demonise remainers?

Let's not forget that it's the leavers who are trying to subvert the UK's political process by insisting that a minority of registered voters "winning" an advisory referendum means that Parliament has to bow to them. >:D<
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Fretwired said:

Let's remain calm and see what happens next. I can see referendum fever sweeping Europe which may get real reform ... I'm willing to bet Junker's on borrowed time.

The Eastern 'Visegrad' group of Hungary, Poland, Czechs and Slovaks are after his head. The Spanish are desperate to avoid losing Catalonia so Juncker entertaining Ms Sturgeon today will have pissed them off. The Germans already have their doubts. Italy thinks he's a bit of a nob ('Un gran nobbo' - Mario Lanza).

The Pope definitely has it in for the pixilated Luxemburger. His Holiness has put his hardest cardinals on the job and offered a $250,000 bounty

About Juncker's only friends are the perfidious French. Unfortunately for him, the poisonous little skunk is about to run straight into Marine Le Pen and her thigh-booted cohorts. 

Pouf! Juncker est fini!

Another one here who thinks Juncker's position is untenable. He failed miserably to gauge the strength of feeling in the UK, with his total (some might say Germanic) intransigent stance. Or maybe he simply stuck his head in the sand and hoped it would go away. As it was, while his head was buried, he got kicked up the arse.

He should resign.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    edited June 2016
    ICBM said:
    What would be more useful is to find out how many of the 28% who didn't vote would vote, and which way.

I suspect a lot of people couldn't be bothered because they assumed Remain would win, despite the opinion polls in the week before indicating that was by no means a foregone conclusion.
    Sorry but this missing voter argument is irrelevant. Every person who is entitled to vote has a choice. Vote, or don't. If you don't vote then you are basically saying I don't care what the outcome is. these people were given the chance to have a say and chose not to take it.

51.8% of people who could be arsed to vote chose to leave.

If nothing else, I hope this poll, shows that if you care about the outcome, always fucking vote!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Best thread on this yet
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Sorry but this missing voter argument is irrelevant. Every person who is entitled to vote has a choice. Vote, or don't. If you don't vote then you are basically saying I don't care what the outcome is. these people were given the chance to have a say and chose not to take it.

51.8% of people who could be arsed to vote chose to leave.
    It's only irrelevant if you think that a minority should dictate to the majority.

At what point would you draw the line? Suppose it wasn't such an apparently contentious question and less than 50% of the electorate had bothered to vote, with a similarly narrow result - meaning that the result was supported by only a quarter of the electorate - would you still consider that a mandate for change?

Whether that's the rules of the referendum or not is a different question, and that's where the real failure lies. The government could very easily have insisted on a true majority of the electorate, or some other figure - exactly as in the first Scottish Devolution referendum in 1979, which required 40% of the electorate voting Yes to pass, and hence was defeated even though a small majority of the votes cast were Yes.

If nothing else, I hope this poll, shows that if you care about the outcome, always fucking vote!
    Absolutely agreed!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4771
    TheMarlin;1132358" said:
    I'm sick to death of these Whitney Brexit threads.
    Wrong thread! Whitney did a 'Whexit' 2012, this is Brexit 2016 ;)
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    edited June 2016
    Sporky said:
    It's getting tiring having some leavers paint all remainers as anti-democratic, intolerant snobs. "Lefties" indeed. Does that mean that all leavers are right-wing, or is it just a neat way to demonise remainers?

Quite so. In an attempt to bring us all together I have adapted a song by Mr Noel Coward:

Don't let's be beastly to Remainers
    now victory is ultimately won,
    It was just those city bankers who persuaded them to fight
    And their Birkenstocks and Bach are really far worse than their bite
    Let's be meek to them-
    And turn the other cheek to them
    And try to relieve their bitter pain.
    Let's give them social parity-
    And treat them all with charity,
    But don't let's be beastly to Remain.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    So, when the public overwhelmingly decides to name a ship "Boaty McBoatface" they are roundly ignored. But when they decide by a tiny majority to leave the European Union, that's all right then?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    FX_Munkee said:
    So, when the public overwhelmingly decides to name a ship "Boaty McBoatface" they are roundly ignored. But when they decide by a tiny majority to leave the European Union, that's all right then?
    So it seems and so it shall be. Public opinion is a fickle thing, though. 

For years now, millions of very angry people overwhelmingly wanted to punish city bankers. Now that the 'detested parasites' may lose their jobs those angry millions have abruptly changed their opinion of the banking sector and the importance of its contribution to the UK economy. 'How will we manage without the banks?' they bleat.

Tant pis d'abord.
    Quite so. In an attempt to bring us all together I have adapted a song by Mr Noel Coward:

Don't let's be beastly to Remainers
    now victory is ultimately won,
    It was just those city bankers who persuaded them to fight
    And their Birkenstocks and Bach are really far worse than their bite
    Let's be meek to them-
    And turn the other cheek to them
    And try to relieve their bitter pain.
    Let's give them social parity-
    And treat them all with charity,
    But don't let's be beastly to Remain.
    Hmm. I like Bach but not Birkenstocks (no objection to other people wearing them).

I'll give it 8/10.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    edited June 2016
    The sense of entitlement on display from the hard-line Remainers is as ugly as Farage's triumphant speech in the European Parliament.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    ICBM;1131942" said:
    I don't think we should have a second referendum either.

In my opinion Parliament should simply overrule this one, for several reasons, and if they're not prepared to do that then we just have to make the best we can of the consequences.
    Just to clarify, what are your reasons?
    Use Your Brian
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Brize;1133274" said:
    The sense of entitlement on display from the hard-line Remainers is as ugly as Farage's triumphant speech in the European Parliament.
    I find it hard to disagree with this, and I voted remain.
    Use Your Brian
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    ICBM said:
    I don't think we should have a second referendum either.

In my opinion Parliament should simply overrule this one, for several reasons, and if they're not prepared to do that then we just have to make the best we can of the consequences.
    Just to clarify, what are your reasons?
    The referendum was specified as non-binding.

Parliament is supreme under our (unwritten) constitution, not the government.

MPs are elected to best serve the interests of their constituents according to their conscience, not to represent their views.

And in any case only a minority of the electorate supported leaving the EU, so they would not be bound to reflect that anyway.

So an MP acting according to what they believe to be in the best interests of their constituents has every right, even a duty, to vote against carrying out the result of the referendum - since the vast majority of expert professional opinion they could ask for advice would say that it is.

If you don't like that, you have the right to vote out your MP at the next election.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    Sporky said:
    Hmm. I like Bach but not Birkenstocks (no objection to other people wearing them).

I'll give it 8/10.

:-) An 80:20 majority! That's way more than I could I have hoped for. (Clears throat):

'I'd like to thank Mr Sporkster and the many other campaign workers for their hard work and unwavering commitment, etc. (cont. p94)'
    Even I'd have to support that.

If it wasn't me that came up with it.
    edited June 2016
    Sporky said: Even I'd have to support that.

Perfect amity prevails. With this in mind I announce my candidacy for the office of leader of
    both our great national political parties simultaneously. 

Tory or Labour - Vote for Me! There shall be no peasant in my realm so poor that he will not have a chicken in his pot every Sunday.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    edited June 2016
    Sporky said:
    Even I'd have to support that.

Perfect amity prevails. With this in mind I announce my candidacy for the office of leader of both our great national political parties simultaneously. 

Tory or Labour - Vote for Me! There shall be no peasant in my realm so poor that he will not have a chicken in his pot every Sunday.

And jam?  Will there be jam tomorrow?
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1340
    I want jam.