Celebs bleating about Farage & Bozzer quitting...

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
Ewan McGregor, Lily Allen, Charlotte Church, Tarzan Heseltine, all bleating about Farage & Bozzer stepping down and not leading the charge to exit UK from EU and blaming them for the mess.

Jog on...

I voted on what I felt was right in the long run, not what the Leave campaign leaders were chanting. Neither Farage or Johnson were in a position of power to lead the exit from EU and I never expected them to do so, only Cameron was. I guess some people may have voted because of what the leave campaign leaders were spouting, but I was not one. I quite like Bozzer but don't care 2 hoots that he is not running for PM.

So, please don't treat me like some dumb sheep that voted because they said so, I have my own opinion, integrity and voice.

If you want to bleat your sour grapes, consider aiming some at Osborne and Cameron for their negative preacher rhetoric, which may have turned many voters against remain.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12119
    celebs should be more careful with their political outbursts, they rarely do it well, most look dumb
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    How dare folks comment on politics especially if they are "famous"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73149
    I blame Cameron. Entirely and totally, since although others contributed none of it would have mattered if it hadn't been for his utter incompetence.

Actually I don't think Heseltine was complaining about Boris not leading, I think he was calling him contemptible for helping orchestrate the whole mess and then walking away… not quite the same.

The others I don't care about. They have a right to express their opinion, but why does it matter? I like Ewan McGregor as an actor, not a politician.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited July 2016
    Bozzer didn't step down through his own choice. He was shafted - he couldn't get enough support to realistically carry on. And what I love about these celebs is the week before they were bleating about how awful Bozzer would have been as PM and how the country would be led by Farage and his 'Nazi' party. You have thought they'd be pleased they've stepped down.

And Hestletine has a nerve. He should be pointing the finger at Cameron for calling the referendum in the first place and for running the worst, most negative campaign in history. He dragged defeat from the jaws of victory - I always said he was a poor PM.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You'd have thought at least someone in the leave campaign would have, you know, perhaps drafted a brainstorm of ideas as to how we would actually go about doing it though, right?

Maybe that's why people are a bit miffed.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Gove .... his wife ... Rupert Murdoch ..... nothing 'effin changes, when will that dangerous, interfering old tosser pop his clogs and make the world a better place ...
    edited July 2016
    You'd have thought at least someone in the leave campaign would have, you know, perhaps drafted a brainstorm of ideas as to how we would actually go about doing it though, right?

I don't think that's entirely fair. I think you'll find Call Me Dave said he'd stay on and then bailed out. Creating a plan will require access to the machinery of government (Dave had it through much of the campaign - Boris and co didn't) and putting a team together that represents both sides in the argument. I don't think the public would have put up with just the Boris, Michael and Nigel show. It's an easy accusation to throw around, but doesn't hold much water. Boris and co would need to talk to the Bank of England, the Treasury, the EU etc .... the process will potentially take years. Better to start on the right foot than a get a Shoot from the hip productions number ..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired;1138779" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

You'd have thought at least someone in the leave campaign would have, you know, perhaps drafted a brainstorm of ideas as to how we would actually go about doing it though, right?

I don't think that's entirely fair. I think you'll find Call Me Dave said he'd stay on and then bailed out. Creating a plan will require access to the machinery of government (Dave had it through much of the campaign - Boris and co didn't) and putting a team together that represents both sides in the argument. I don't think the public would have put up with just the Boris, Michael and Nigel show. It's an easy accusation to throw around, but doesn't hold much water. Boris and co would need to talk to the Bank of England, the Treasury, the EU etc .... the process will potentially take years. Better to start on the right foot than a get a Shoot from the hip productions number ..
    Yes, that's probably all true, but at least some ideas would have been good right? Or perhaps keeping their jobs to help follow the process through?

Also, whether fair or not, I feel that people are questioning the motives. I mean, they got what they wanted - then quit? Regardless of the complications and complexities involved and whether we understand it fully or not, it looks like a really shitty move.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • the_pman28the_pman28 Frets: 72
    Ewan McGregor, Lily Allen, Charlotte Church, Tarzan Heseltine, all bleating about Farage & Bozzer stepping down and not leading the charge to exit UK from EU and blaming them for the mess.

Jog on...

I voted on what I felt was right in the long run, not what the Leave campaign leaders were chanting. Neither Farage or Johnson were in a position of power to lead the exit from EU and I never expected them to do so, only Cameron was. I guess some people may have voted because of what the leave campaign leaders were spouting, but I was not one. I quite like Bozzer but don't care 2 hoots that he is not running for PM.

So, please don't treat me like some dumb sheep that voted because they said so, I have my own opinion, integrity and voice.

If you want to bleat your sour grapes, consider aiming some at Osborne and Cameron for their negative preacher rhetoric, which may have turned many voters against remain.

Out of interest...when you voted to leave, who did you have in mind to lead us out of this mess?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    Oh good - a Brexit thread!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, that's probably all true, but at least some ideas would have been good right? Or perhaps keeping their jobs to help follow the process through?

Also, whether fair or not, I feel that people are questioning the motives. I mean, they got what they wanted - then quit? Regardless of the complications and complexities involved and whether we understand it fully or not, it looks like a really shitty move.
    Dave the Remainer quit and plunged us into a Tory leadership contest. Farage isn't in Parliament - he's an MEP. It would be unlikely that any Tory-led negotiating team would want a Kipper on board. If fact resigning from UKIP may allow Farage to have a role in the negotiations, although I doubt it as he's spent years winding up Junker and co. He's viewed as toxic in the EU.

Boris is still an MP which is what he was throughout the campaign. He got shafted by Gove and co and couldn't realistically stand for leader of the Tory party and PM. Personally I think he'd be a disaster. It's not up to him whether he's involved in any negotiations.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    We don't need a Brexit voter to run the country. On the contrary, I'd prefer a non-brexit person. The deed is done and now we should get back to having the best equipped politician from the incumbent party taking the nation forward. This will probably not be a back-stabbing power grabbing bastard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I would not call Heseltine a Celeb.

Surely this is about accountabilty? I heard 2 UKIP MEPs on LBC yesterday trying to explain who is accountable when a promised land of milk and honey turns out to be something different.

On the basis of their astonishing, spluttering non answers, it seems that UKIP are unable to answer this question.

What are Boris and Farage accountable for?
    What is Accountability?

I reckon:
    Sticking around: pretty much essential
    Running Away: Not advisable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Has Bono kicked off yet?

I'm confused. Boris hasn't quit anything. He started out as an MP and he still is an MP. People have said Boris jumped into the Remain camp as he wanted to be PM - that might be true but everyone expected Remain to win, even him so on paper it was an odd strategy. Farage actually said when the polls closed that he thought Remain would win and had to hastily backtrack. Winning probably shocked them both.

Most Tory MPs don't want Boris as leader - he was stabbed in the back by Gove and Cameron who set up an 'anyone but Boris' campaign. And I don't think Boris or Farage would add much to any negotiations with the EU. In fairness to May she has at least negotiated with Brussels in the past. It's about having the best people - Boris lacks experience and judgement.

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Has Bono kicked off yet?
    Not yet, he's still standing on the edge.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Er, it was a referendum on whether to leave the EU. It was not a leadership ballot.

The Tories don't want Boris as leader. So what has he done wrong?
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Bloke next door, woman over the road, barmaid from local, pensioner in the bungalow, all bleating about Farage & Bozzer stepping down and not leading the charge to exit UK from EU and blaming them for the mess.

Just as irrelevant.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 593

Slight aside but a comment that did raise a smile:

"So Farage has stepped down as leader of UKIP but is staying as an MEP, so he's left Leave to remain in the EU"

Slightly facetious I know, but made me chuckle. That's also the last Brexit comment I'm making ... cos it makes me angry and I'd rather be being creative ...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Even you, @RandallFlagg