Celebs bleating about Farage & Bozzer quitting...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• the_pman28the_pman28 Frets: 72
    I don't disagree that this Tory government was fool-hardy to put the issue to a referendum. It was a cheap tactic to secure the election that they thought at the time would never end the way it has. Honestly, I don't think they considered leave a possibility until it was too late. It backfired and it comes as no surprise that the type of people who gamble with such high stakes to further their own political careers don't hang around to see things through when they don't get the results they want. But then I neither voted for the Tory's nor voted to leave. 

I just question the expectation that we'd have a stable political environment post-Brexit. The fact is that nobody knew the ramifications of Brexit (still don't) which IMO makes it a completely reckless vote because there was no plan for the immediate aftermath.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    ICBM said:
    I blame Cameron. Entirely and totally, 
    Absolutely spot on. Cameron did not have to call a referendum he only did so to counter the UKIP immigration campaign so he had a better chance of gaining an extra term in office. I am not sure that he even thought of the consequences. This was extremely short-term and selfish behaviour.

Even when he'd called the referendum, it was ill-thought through and full of holes and risk. I am not surprised that we are in such a state of limbo with nobody seemingly able or willing to grasp the situation and push things onto whatever the next step is.

If few people had confidence in politics before, I would imaging there are even less now.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    Wasn't the election pledge to call a referendum during this government term? No specific date was set during the election campaign, so why rush it in 2016?

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    Wolfetone said:
    ICBM said:
    I blame Cameron. Entirely and totally, 
    Absolutely spot on. Cameron did not have to call a referendum he only did so to counter the UKIP immigration campaign so he had a better chance of gaining an extra term in office. I am not sure that he even thought of the consequences. This was extremely short-term and selfish behaviour.

Even when he'd called the referendum, it was ill-thought through and full of holes and risk. I am not surprised that we are in such a state of limbo with nobody seemingly able or willing to grasp the situation and push things onto whatever the next step is.

If few people had confidence in politics before, I would imaging there are even less now.

Agreed