Ghostbusters remake?

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    It's not really so much the fact that it's women it's that if you have a team which thinks such a ham fisted play kn positive discrimination is actually a good idea has probably not got the attention to detail and artistic vision to produce anything other than a complete turd. The fact the gender reversal theme applies not just to the heroes but also to the secretary is a great example of lazy thinking.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    I think film remakes are a really shite idea. Its such a crap thing to do. What's the point? Yes, I know its all about money, but a film is such a standalone work of art/piece of work, that I think its creatively very poor to reboot.

You don't see an author rewrite someone else's novel (well not routine), or someone rerecord someone else's entire album.

IMO remaking a film is piss poor plaigiaristic money making.

And they are generally total crap and not a patch on the original, which makes it even more shoddy a practise.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I was on a betting site the other day and I saw they do movie bets. "Will this movie be below 6 score on IMBD a few months after release"

What I'm saying is, take that fucking bet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    It's a good bet. 

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7887
    I think the concept is fun and less lame than using male actors in a reboot, execution is another thing though, looks a bit unfunny ATM
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Nikko said:
    lloyd said:
    Nolan Batman is one of the few that justified the reboot. Outside of that, I'm struggling. 

On the subject of shit films, I watched Jupiter Ascending this morning. Outstandingly shit but possessing a campy fun that means it's hard to really dislike. 
    Yeah the Bale Batmans are good, the only superhero film that I actually like too, although I'm probably the only person on the planet that didn't like Heath Ledger in it.
    Really? Wow, I though he was great!
    Everyone does, he gets rave reviews, I just found it all a bit over done (which is perhaps the point) and cartoony (again perhaps that was the point).

The over blowing of his performance and calls for an oscar because of his tragic death probably makes it worse too as I'm a miserable twat. 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

I think the concept is fun and less lame than using male actors in a reboot, execution is another thing though, looks a bit unfunny ATM
    See I'm with you on this-if they'd wanted an all woman line up just to contrast the original and made a trailer that looked funny, I'd be all for it.

This just looks unfunny, and while I'm here prejudging a film I haven't seen on the back of a 3 minute trailer, you just know that it's one of them trailers that they've filled up with all the "funny" bits.

This is going to appeal to a few 14 year olds with a shit sense of humour.

• I'll give it a chance to see if it's any good. But my silly issue isn't that they made all the Busters women, it's that they made the receptionist a man, thus highlighting that they deliberately made them all women to highlight some kind of role reversal going on!

But I'll give it a chance when it's on a VOD service and I can pay my £3.50 for the pleasure.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    I'll give it a chance when they pay me to watch it. Summer movie time, you too can enjoy an overblown alien invasion flick that nobody needed, a rehashed 90's comedy that nobody needed, or a pointless reboot. 

Woooo. I'm off to rub some pears with sandpaper for entertainment instead. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    lloyd said:
    Nikko said:
    lloyd said:
    Nolan Batman is one of the few that justified the reboot. Outside of that, I'm struggling. 

On the subject of shit films, I watched Jupiter Ascending this morning. Outstandingly shit but possessing a campy fun that means it's hard to really dislike. 
    Yeah the Bale Batmans are good, the only superhero film that I actually like too, although I'm probably the only person on the planet that didn't like Heath Ledger in it.
    Everyone does, he gets rave reviews, I just found it all a bit over done (which is perhaps the point) and cartoony (again perhaps that was the point).

The over blowing of his performance and calls for an oscar because of his tragic death probably makes it worse too as I'm a miserable twat. 
    There weren't just calls for an Oscar - they gave him one for it. 

It's a brilliant performance by any measure, but I think that does down the rest of the cast. Aaron Eckhart was fantastic too. 

I suspect you just don't like comic book movies!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5128
    Remakes are a tricky one.
    I find it highly amusing that people were up in arms recently about the possibility of a Scarface remake.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1530
    Snap said:
    I think film remakes are a really shite idea. Its such a crap thing to do. What's the point? Yes, I know its all about money, but a film is such a standalone work of art/piece of work, that I think its creatively very poor to reboot.

You don't see an author rewrite someone else's novel (well not routine), or someone rerecord someone else's entire album.

And they are generally total crap and not a patch on the original, which makes it even more shoddy a practise.
    There is no reason why a film cant be re-made and done well. But it would have to have all the right people involved and great ideas and artistic vision for it. The "planets would have to align" as they say. However this new ghostbusters film is way off the mark.

As I said in the other thread its a bit like announcing the film 'spy' as a genuine bond film. If you've seen it you will know what I mean. This is why everyone hates it already.

If they had called it something else like "scary ghost film" as a parody of ghostbusters then I think people would have been OK with it. That would have left the door open for someone more creative to come along and do a proper job of reviving ghostbusters.

Its interesting to see in all their promotional interviews on TV they are emphasising the "everyone hates it because its women instead of men". Its not about that at all, it just looks crap. Scooby doo style effects, bad jokes, poor cast etc

Yet strangely I still want to watch it.
    lloyd said:
    Nikko said:
    lloyd said:

There weren't just calls for an Oscar - they gave him one for it. 

It's a brilliant performance by any measure, but I think that does down the rest of the cast. Aaron Eckhart was fantastic too. 

I suspect you just don't like comic book movies!
    Haha, no I don't so perhaps that's the thing.

I like SIn City and this set of Batmans, thats is.

I just didn't find him believable as a baddy-like who would respect/work for/be in a gang with him kind of thing, again that's probably a comic book thing on my part.

I would say that his performance is good, it's perhaps the lines/role that I didn't like?

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Snap;1141753" said:

Are you in an originals or covers band?:) Suppose it's the same thing, your making something your own,
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I'm not really into documentaries, but it does look terrible.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    Critics are mixed. Some appear, frankly, fawning, while others say it's just bad. EXACTLY as expected.  

Sadly, it sounds like it's *just* good enough that the fans will remain convinced people are slagging it "because misogyny" rather than "because shitty movie".
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29130
    Snap said:

Max Richter's "The Four Seasons Recomposed" is excellent stufff, actually. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27081
    I think the idea that making this a mostly female cast as feminist is twaddle really. I'm sure it's far more about bums on seats - Ghostbusters formula + Bridesmaids formula= money. I struggle to believe anyone is using this as a political platform ( and if they are why is it apparently - if you watch the trailers - racist?).
    The problem is that when the trailer came out and was almost universally panned, everybody who was critical of it was accused of being sexist. I find that rather odd...as though it's more believable that 90% of the population are sexist than Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones making a shit film.

Seriously, when has anything those four have ever been in been good?
    <space for hire>
    edited July 2016
    I think the idea that making this a mostly female cast as feminist is twaddle really. I'm sure it's far more about bums on seats - Ghostbusters formula + Bridesmaids formula= money. I struggle to believe anyone is using this as a political platform ( and if they are why is it apparently - if you watch the trailers - racist?).
    The problem is that when the trailer came out and was almost universally panned, everybody who was critical of it was accused of being sexist. I find that rather odd...as though it's more believable that 90% of the population are sexist than Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones making a shit film.

Seriously, when has anything those four have ever been in been good?
    Dont forget that funny bit where Melissa McCarthy falls over and it's funny because she fell over....  s
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Unsurprisingly the guardian is positive.

I like bridesmaids a lot, I'd have given this a chance if they didn't push the sexism thing.
    My V key is broken