Leadsom to pull out of Tory leadership contest

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
I think this makes sense and respect to her for doing this. Not for making the remark about motherhood, but for realising the difficulty in dealing with the pressure of the backlash. As a PM, she would have to deal with far greater pressure.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34005
    Good.
    She'd have been a disaster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29209
    At least she'll still be able to put it on her CV.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    "Respect to her"

No. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    edited July 2016
    These Brexiters don't seem to have much of a backbone. Astonishing... Led millions up the garden path to vote leave and then what? What a fecking shambles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Tweet by David Schneider : These Leavers sure are great at leaving things
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73148
    I'm only surprised Gove hasn't cried foul at her pulling out now and not saying he should be put back in.

I suppose the important question is whether Cameron will stay in office until the conference or whether he just scuttles off now and leaves it all to May.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8503
    ICBM said:
    I suppose the important question is whether Cameron will stay in office until the conference or whether he just scuttles off now and leaves it all to May.
    isn't the Conference in October? ;))
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Won't she think of the children?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Won't she think of the children?
    I imagine it WAS because of her children, as in "Mother, you're so EMBARRASSING".

Good riddance to her anyway. She struck me as being completely thick. 

She'd have been a complete disaster as PM. My great fear now is that May will feel constrained to give the third rater Leadsom a Cabinet job...

...and while we're on third raters, I have a terrible feeling that, should May become PM, someone dreadful like Chris Grayling the job of Home Sec.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    My fear is that May has said things in the past that make her out to be an authoritarian nut job... 

anti-rights, anti-gay, pro-surveillance ... And on this leadership campaign anti-business 

I'm not sure she is going to be good for the country. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34005
    Myranda said:
    My fear is that May has said things in the past that make her out to be an authoritarian nut job... 

anti-rights, anti-gay, pro-surveillance ... And on this leadership campaign anti-business 

I think we abandoned the concept of 'good for the country' a few weeks ago.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Myranda said:

It was like the X-Factor to pick the Anti-Christ.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Myranda said:

It was like the X-Factor to pick the Anti-Christ.
    Well now she can slouchest t'ward Bethlehem to be born 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73148
    Myranda said:

That worries me too. I never thought I would hear myself saying that she is the best available candidate for PM… several years ago I laughed at the idea that she could be the next Tory leader. Not laughing now.

In my opinion she's significantly more right-wing and authoritarian than she's recently been trying to give the impression of.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    May day May day! :o
    Link to my trading feedback
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    Myranda said:

Its a sad state of affairs if, in this day, anyone can get away with being prejudiced on sexuality. Its bloody ridiculous, and thankfully this sort of bigotry is becoming less and less acceptable. I mean, just what has your sexuality got to do with anyone at all?
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22613
    edited July 2016
    I think this makes sense and respect to her for doing this. Not for making the remark about motherhood, but for realising the difficulty in dealing with the pressure of the backlash. As a PM, she would have to deal with far greater pressure.
    She had no choice. There would have been enough MPs prepared to lash back against her to threaten the Parliamentary majority. 

Sod Andrea Leadsom. Sod her for those pissweak comments about kids, the same sort of shit Niall Ferguson came out with against Keynes. Sod her for appealling to the brand of individual who wrotes on The Conservative Woman and who wishes that Phyllis Schlafly were British. 

Bah. 

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4712
    I quess this makes transition into the job a lot easier.
    May can just shadow the PM until October and will be able to hit the ground running rather than learning on the job.