Leadsom to pull out of Tory leadership contest

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    edited July 2016
    I quess this makes transition into the job a lot easier.
    May can just shadow the PM until October and will be able to hit the ground running rather than learning on the job.
    October?  She starts on Wednesday evening!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-36570120
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    She slagged off Brown for being an unelected Prime Minister...

I bet she doesn't call an election.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    funny… the only Brexiter that stood by his guns was Gove..
    and he was unelectable.. especially after he demonstrated so publicly that he cannot be trusted..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73148

She can't - she would either have to call a vote of no confidence in her own government, or get a two-thirds majority for an early dissolution. I suspect she wouldn't even lose a vote of no confidence even if some Tories rebelled, since the other parties don't actually want an election now either and would probably abstain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ICBM said:

She can't - she would either have to call a vote of no confidence in her own government, or get a two-thirds majority for an early dissolution. I suspect she wouldn't even lose a vote of no confidence even if some Tories rebelled, since the other parties don't actually want an election now either and would probably abstain.
    A general election would probably be a waste of time as the Tories would most likely win at the moment anyway ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73148
    Chalky said:

A general election would probably be a waste of time as the Tories would most likely win at the moment anyway ;)
    Exactly why the other parties wouldn't want one. Labour is disintegrating and would be wiped out, the Lib Dems haven't recovered enough from the election, UKIP won't get anywhere unless the Tories say they aren't really leaving the EU, and the SNP can only realistically lose seats - to Ruth Davidson's Tories, which they don't want. The result would almost certainly be a much larger Tory majority.

So despite not actually having any confidence in the government, they would all be faced with the choice of voting that they did, or sitting on their hands...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493
    edited July 2016
    Say what you want about the Leave campaigners. They're all bloody brilliant at leaving.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Myranda said:
    My fear is that May has said things in the past that make her out to be an authoritarian nut job... 

anti-rights, anti-gay, pro-surveillance ... And on this leadership campaign anti-business 

I'm not sure she is going to be good for the country. 
    It was like the X-Factor to pick the Anti-Christ

Yeah, I read that Frankie Boyle column too. 
    Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    ICBM said:
    I suppose the important question is whether Cameron will stay in office until the conference or whether he just scuttles off now and leaves it all to May.
    I believe he'll stay on until May
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5040
    FX_Munkee said:
    Say what you want about the Leave campaigners. They're all bloody brilliant at leaving.
    Thinking much the same thing myself....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited July 2016
    Rocker said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Thinking much the same thing myself....
    Better than staying and losing. Then she would be a loser. Kinda like a Remainer...  :3
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Always a good idea to pull out early rather than make a mess in the worst place possible.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw