The Disclose your Salary Thread

What's Hot
12345679»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24646
    Cabicular said:
    Do you mind me asking how old you are Emp?
    Old enough to be your pappy sonny.... and don't you forget it !

Oh, alright then, 52.  Mentally 12, Physically 204 so it all averages out.

Why do you ask ?  Are you doing one of them phishying things to slowly take my identity ?  Tell you what - you can have it for free...  The real me is in debt with a history of all sorts of shit you couldn't give away, let alone steal.  
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Emp_Fab said:
    Cabicular said:
    Do you mind me asking how old you are Emp?
    Old enough to be your pappy sonny.... and don't you forget it !

Oh, alright then, 52.  Mentally 12, Physically 204 so it all averages out.

Why do you ask ?  Are you doing one of them phishying things to slowly take my identity ?  Tell you what - you can have it for free...  The real me is in debt with a history of all sorts of shit you couldn't give away, let alone steal.  
    Lol no
    I was just curious. I'm not asking for your DOB :)
    I'm 45 (stone)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Emp_Fab said:
    OK, so everyone is now claiming they don't feel comfortable disclosing because of the identity theft argument ?
    Not everyone, no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Emp_Fab said:
    OK, so everyone is now claiming they don't feel comfortable disclosing because of the identity theft argument ?

No, as I've said before, it is part of my contract where I work to not disclose my salary. I enjoy my job so don't want to risk losing it.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7363
    Emp_Fab said:

Well not me, I was jsut pointing out that lots of people on here aren't as anonymous as you make out.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29130
    And I stand by my previous comment that a gentleman does not disclose his salary, his tailor, nor his sexual proclivities.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    what about his tailor's salary or sexual proclivities?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    Sporky said:
    And I stand by my previous comment that a gentleman does not disclose his salary, his tailor, nor his sexual proclivities.
    Except of course when that salary is required to be mentioned to obtain delivery of the sexual requirements so they can be proclivities.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

My proclivities do not lie in that direction.
    Sporky said:
    My proclivities do not lie in that direction.
    That counts as disclosure...and I thought you were a gentleman!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Denial is not disclosure.

As any fule kno'.
  • So what's the thoughts on banded pay? 

On the one hand, I like it. Everyone knows where everyone stands. I hate the idea of someone doing the same job as me less well being paid more because they happen to have better negotiating skills. 

On the other hand, I sort of resent that I am excellent at my job and definitely a cut above a lot of other staff in the same role but I cannot negotiate a higher salary. Although my current role is low level (although hard work - often involving performing tasks most people would run from with tears in their eyes) so I am definitely more feeling the banded pay is appropriate. 

Just for discussion sake. 
    edited July 2016
    I think banded pay probably works well where you have a significant number of people all in the same role; otherwise it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I don't really care what other people earn, whether they're doing the same job as me or not. I do see the argument that full disclosure is likely to prevent or at least decrease "abuse" by employers, but can/will they not just fall back on "it's equal pay for equal work; you're paid less because you're better-at-it/not-as-good-at-it, and thus your work is not equal"?
  • Sporky said:
    I think banded pay probably works well where you have a significant number of people all in the same role; otherwise it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I don't really care what other people earn, whether they're doing the same job as me or not. I do see the argument that full disclosure is likely to prevent or at least decrease "abuse" by employers, but can/will they not just fall back on "it's equal pay for equal work; you're paid less because you're better-at-it/not-as-good-at-it, and thus your work is not equal"?

You're probably right. I'm not sure where I stand, banded pay can only work if there are at least several people in very similar roles. 

My mind wanders to a documentary I saw a while back where people in a place of work all doing the same jobs disclosed salary anonymously and were amazed. The stats revealed women were paid equally, but had the lowest earner by far, and there were some astonishing outliers. It was interesting as some disclosed who they were and how they felt . 

At my last job there were five of us notionally doing the same thing (one was managing the rest of us too). I earned the most because I was the best at both doing the job and at negotiating for better pay. Which I am sure makes me sound like an arrogant arse (well, everything else I post certainly does) but I really was uncommonly good at my job.