Forces of Nature with Brian Cox

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    It was Jonny Ball when I was a kid, and a really old guy an another science show (I remember his face but nothing else)
    I recall having a crush on his daughter 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Myranda said:
    It was Jonny Ball when I was a kid, and a really old guy an another science show (I remember his face but nothing else)
    Didn't we all dearie ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

I can understand that the land might be subject to the gravitational pull of the moon, thus warping it to make tides and whatnot, but how come the sea isn't?

Maybe the movement of the sea alone is too minor a change (it keeps sloshing about) so it's the land that makes it noticeable... 

That's a guess BTW 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493

I can understand that the land might be subject to the gravitational pull of the moon, thus warping it to make tides and whatnot, but how come the sea isn't?

The sea is pulled by the moons gravity and the tides are the effect of the earth rotating under the bulges created in the water.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Myranda said:
    is her name Tennis?
    play every note as if it were your first
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8503
    FX_Munkee said:
    The sea is pulled by the moons gravity and the tides are the effect of the earth rotating under the bulges created in the water.
    The sun's gravity, too!

And it's the earth's rotation pulling the bulges away from being directly under the moon that makes the moon get further away over time and the earth's rotation slow down - borrowing the rotational energy of the earth and turning it into potential energy in the moon. Pretty awesome, that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    The sun's gravity, too!

And it's the earth's rotation pulling the bulges away from being directly under the moon that makes the moon get further away over time and the earth's rotation slow down - borrowing the rotational energy of the earth and turning it into potential energy in the moon. Pretty awesome, that.
    Yes, but I'm not sure if you've helped or hindered @CabbageCat on his quest for knowledge ;)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee said:
    Cirrus said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    The sun's gravity, too!

Yes, but I'm not sure if you've helped or hindered @CabbageCat on his quest for knowledge ;)
    Maybe it's complicated... Or maybe it could be better explained. If I ever get an Internet back I'll have a look at the program
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11449
    Possibly James Burke, but more likely to be Dr Magnus Pyke.

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/burke1.jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64746000/jpg/_64746080_pyke.jpg

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    scrumhalf said:
    Possibly James Burke, but more likely to be Dr Magnus Pyke.

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/burke1.jpg

James Burke invented the Science all-expenses mini-break ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    He also got me (as a small child) quite interested in science and engineering.
    Was it "James Burke's Connections"?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    It was Jimmy Saville that got me into Biology. Those one on one lessons really helped when I was a kid
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4712
    That was him Dr Magnus Pyke
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11449
    The Burke Special was required watching when I was at primary school, and was one of three things we'd talk about in the playground the following morning. (The other two were football and Scooby Doo. We were an eclectic bunch.)

He was able to talk about science and technical things without either drowning you in jargon or talking down to you, it was a case of "this is fantastic stuff and when I've finished you'll have an idea of why I think that".

Along with Johnny Ball he did a huge amount to make science popular.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4777
    TheMarlin said:
    I can't stand the man.  He'll spout any old crap, regardless of whether it's supported by scientific fact or not. 
    Most Professors in the field do that, just make shit up. Everybody knows all the true knowledge is acquired by browsing Google and watching youtube videos.  I don't know why the Royal Society or PPARC don't just kick him out, my guess is they like watching him make a dick of himself.  It's as if he's not even discovered the collective evolution website!  
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    You'll never please everyone, and anyone delivering scientific documentaries will forever be judged alongside Dave atts, which is not a fight anyone wins unless your name is Dave Attenborough.

his delivery can be a bit simpering and has far too many teeth but there's not many out there that are qualified to do what he does-legitimate scientist and have more personality than a wet sponge.....I like the woman dr of bones, the Scottish fucker that needs a hair cut off coast, the long nailed banjo plucker off time team and the lanky twat off the sky at night.

the rest? Not so much.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I loved Wonders Of The Solar System, genuine must see for me as I'm quite interested in space. I think it was the Universe one which seemed a bit "meh" and can't remember watching much else with him or on the BBC that that grabbed my attention again or felt like I must watch it. Watched a bit of this one and it's OK while not really setting my world of fire but I'd rather the BBC sent him on a trip round the world than churn even more of the other shite it makes nowadays.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Has he said "billions" yet?  With that really plosive "b"?
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Alice Roberts is my favourite professor...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom