Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Songs you "had" to play but hated

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9891
    I one sang and accompanied myself on piano at a wedding anniversary, they wanted the song they had as their first dance at their wedding.... Lionel Richie's Once, Twice, Three Timesssssss a Ladyyyy

My soul has never been recovered since
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 89
    Sex on Fire. But every time we played it, all the women got up & danced!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Pretty Vacant - really? Waste of plectrum wear - I'm not that angry!
  • voxmanjohnvoxmanjohn Frets: 75
    Sex on Fire and brown eyed girl... But again, the crowd seems to enjoy them
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3145
    What no mention of Mustang Sally? 
    My vote goes to American Pie though
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1686
    Teenage Kicks,  Celine Dion - Think Twice, Red Red Wine..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 587
    Grunfeld said:
    David Bowie:  Jean Genie  [the singer I've been working with for 7 years loves this pile of shit. It is in EVERY fucking set list. I have played this bastard over a thousand times and each time it's getting worse.  How can three minutes last so long?  I just hate the fucking thing now.  I never want to play it again but I can guarantee you I will have to play it 3 fucking times next weekend and the singer will love it and I'll just be thinking I want the Jean Genie to just die, once and for all.  Die you bastard die.
    I really hate that song. 

Had to wis that as I've had the same thing.  I like the song, although not one of his best, but I hated playing it with a passion.  Likewise for Rebel Rebel ... I just get BORED playing it but have to concentrate for when the only change comes in.

Biggest hate though was "Gimme Some Lovin'" ... man alive, I detest that song.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    What no mention of Mustang Sally? 

There is now ..... and I agree
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bobthemercifulbobthemerciful Frets: 5
    edited August 2016
    Whisky in the f##kin jar.... Struggle to stay awake. Mustang Sally too, my joy at our bass player not knowing it at the wedding we did
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6541
    edited August 2016
    I've had  to play some dreadful songs for first dances over the years, most recently I had to play the song I had at MY wedding....a drippy Shania Twain effort my now EX-wife chose....Good job I am not emotional about my first marriage, eh?
    Worst is probably a Dolly Parton song called, if memory serves, You And I , which had a line about painting a rainbow in the sky with love ... or something equally trite. Paul McCartney's This Never Happened Before comes close too.

I don't mind Mr Brightside or Sex On Fire or Brown Eyed Girl cos those are songs that go down well and I know that my job is to entertain others not myself....and Mustang Sally is a perfectly good song as long as you remember the Wilson Picket version, not the sanitised Commitments effort.
    I think the worst song I have had to sing since I took over vocal duties this year is I Gotta Feeling  by the Black Eyed Peas, for which I just couldn't summon up the conviction to 'sell' the song convincingly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Silver Machine when I was in my first band.
  • 500 miles and sweet child o'mine. I'm a singer who happens to play rhythm guitar too. Sweet child 'o mine I've just played to death and still do! People just can't get enough of it.
  • Had to do a Courteeners song this week with some of the worst lyrics ever put to music.

• I bet you look good on the dance floor by the Arctic Monkeys...... but I'm fairly sure we did a much better version! Gawd.

• Depping in a function band, Monster Mash - Dear God, why? In a rock band, Sweet Child o' Mine - can't stand G&R.
  • A dirty sea shanty that a previous vocalist wrote. It was shite
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16166
    Walkin' by myself ..Gary Moore ...................typical shitty blues boring shite
  • I get bored of almost any song I have to play endlessly - but of them all I have to go for Louie Louie. My god. so tedious - though it does seem to go down well!

It has a solo in it so I'd at least try and do that in a different style to make it interesting - I tried it as a blues, in a rage again the machine style, in an ambient style (that went down like a bag of sick! especially with the singer) in a noise style.......

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046

It has a solo in it so I'd at least try and do that in a different style to make it interesting

I can't remember what song it was but last night I found myself with the obligatory 8 bars to fill and it became one-note solo time.  Pretty good note to be fair.  But you know when you've played something too much that you can't be arsed to move your fingers.  May have added wah.  Or univibe.  Or looped it and went to have a pint.
    God I need new material.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    We've tried doing Louie Louie based on the Toots and the Maytalls version but not very successfully as we aren't clever enough with the vocals. I did play a more straightforward version in a previous band where we hummed the riff as the intro which was neat.

I get bored of almost any song I have to play endlessly - but of them all I have to go for Louie Louie. My god. so tedious - though it does seem to go down well!

It has a solo in it so I'd at least try and do that in a different style to make it interesting - I tried it as a blues, in a rage again the machine style, in an ambient style (that went down like a bag of sick! especially with the singer) in a noise style.......

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.