Another relationship issue

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
How do you deal with a situation with friend you've known a long time, but gradually feel you can no longer relate to because of their actions and attitude, but you still care about them.

And the situation is made more complex because your life partner doesn't get on with them - and you can totally understand why. Although they are always polite and friendly to them (although sometimes the body language does not tally).

And then they make hurtful digs at your partner in a way that they know is going to hurt them because the partner lacks self-confidence in certain areas and that friend knows this.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29331
    Ditch 'em. Your partner is more important, and the "friend" sounds mean.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    "With friends like that, who needs enemies"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I wouldn't describe the person as mean, but insensitive, arrogant, comes across as sneery about people who don't share their worldview. Expects a lot from people but to be fair, can go the extra mile for people too. It's complicated.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Your friend sounds like a dick... Have you had the "dude, don't be a dick" talk? If not then do. 

If you have had the talk, tell them to go away... Far away... Where they can die in a bin. On fire. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18039
    tFB Trader
    Get rid. 

People grow apart and your partner is infinitely more important.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    If you can tolerate it and your partner can tolerate it then just tolerate it. If not then get the friend to stop. If you can't then ditch the friend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Ditch the friend.

I had a similar situation with a friend I've known since we were about 5. It got to the point where his attitude, the need to slap me on the, shoulder, arm or leg, every thirty seconds ( I HATE being touched and get freaked out if people invade my personal space), his constant demands that I focus all my attention on him, and repeating everything as nauseum got to be too much. I tried avoiding him but that just wound him up, so I ditched him

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• slackerslacker Frets: 2290
    I posted elsewhere about managing people. In your situation if the friend was offensive I'd do a fade I think it's called. Decrease contact. If not I'd see them on their own, meet at a pub or Costa, go to a football match, whatever. 

I haven't raised the issue because the friend has been going through some difficult issues (although they don't help themselves). I've chosen to be a bit distant, take some space.
    mellowsun said:
    I haven't raised the issue because the friend has been going through some difficult issues (although they don't help themselves). I've chosen to be a bit distant, take some space.
    Hard times are no reason to be a dick. Have the don't be a dick talk sooner rather than later. 
    Appreciate all the suggestions so far. Much love to everyone here :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34056
    edited July 2016
    I ditch them if I think the situation cannot be resolved.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73402
    mellowsun said:
    How do you deal with a situation with friend you've known a long time, but gradually feel you can no longer relate to because of their actions and attitude, but you still care about them.

And the situation is made more complex because your life partner doesn't get on with them - and you can totally understand why. Although they are always polite and friendly to them (although sometimes the body language does not tally).

And then they make hurtful digs at your partner in a way that they know is going to hurt them because the partner lacks self-confidence in certain areas and that friend knows this.
    Get rid of the friend.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Brexit issues?  I've a few friends like that :-)

Lifes too short , your partner is the most import at thing as above.  You can stay in touch via social media or the odd meet but no point stressing your main relationship. 

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7967
    Space and time. If they're a proper friend after they've sorted whatever they're going through then you can re-connect later. Don't burn bridges yourself, the 'fade' reduced contact thing is the way to go I think
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    edited July 2016
    Look mate I said I'm sorry I'm not buying your H9 now.....
    jeeeze. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27239
    mellowsun said:
    Treat it like you would if a child was the offending party - when they act like a dick, call them on it and don't let it go until they either climb down or go away. Unless there are direct consequences to acting like that, people will generally continue (especially if they're having a hard time, because they can justify it to themselves with "woe is me" - I've done that myself on more than one occasion in the past).
    <space for hire>
    Brexit issues?  I've a few friends like that :-)

Nothing to do with Brexit, fortunately!
    mellowsun said:
    Treat it like you would if a child was the offending party - when they act like a dick, call them on it and don't let it go until they either climb down or go away. Unless there are direct consequences to acting like that, people will generally continue (especially if they're having a hard time, because they can justify it to themselves with "woe is me" - I've done that myself on more than one occasion in the past).
    Well done one being one of the only people saying something needs to be said before skipping talking and going straight to never see them again. 

Time will only help if they know they are upsetting people. Say something. 
    edited July 2016
    Treat it like you would if a child was the offending party - when they act like a dick, call them on it 
    I did call them on it at the time, and have done so in the past. They kind of apologised, but it feels like the damage has been done. Partner doesn't really want to see them, but won't stop me seeing them. I'm just not sure I want to. But I feel like I'm being mean.

On the other hand, people can be manipulative to make you feel that way. They have been a good friend in the past, but now I'm being made to feel guilty for staying away.

The person has made life choices that I don't agree with, but I have never criticized them for it. But this person is critical of others' choices. tbh I'm not the first person that has fallen out with them in similar circumstances.