Do you twitch at the Window waiting for the neighbours to go out too?

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
edited January 2014 in Amps
...so that you can wack your amp up??

I do... but why does the bloody phone always ring when I am getting down to working out my 'levels' and bestie-settings-sniffing-out?? Kills the mood... Then my other half walks in through the door and turns the amp down as she walks past  - moaning!!

Is like being 15 all over...
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• Yup.  Happens rarely.

The other day, I got the Bandit up to 1.5 on the drive channel.  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    57Deluxe said:

nope. I only have a neighbour on one side and the walls of my house are over 20" thick

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27931
    You're doing it wrong.

You're doing ... Watch for neighbours to go out, *then* turn amp up.

You should be doing ... Turn amp up and then watch neighbours go out.

You're welcome.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    Living in a flat sucks.

Our old place we were the top floor, corner apartment, and the guys below worked all day so every weekday I knew I was ok. Here, we're mid-block, surrounded on all but the window side and there's noisy kids above us. Can't complain about them because they're just being kids but can't turn up the amp either because that'd wake the feckers. BAH!!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DarrenDarren Frets: 169
    I have fantastic neighbours..The guy one side is huge 70's rock fan and the lady the other side is a huge 80's rock fan..I usually get asked to "turn it up" whenever i see them.. The PERFECT neighbours.. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Buy a detached house with plenty of rooms - sorted :)

• I'm quite lucky in that respect. My house is end-of-terrace, so only one immediate neighbour. He works as a waiter so is usually out when I'm in during the week. And at weekends he's pretty tolerant as long as I don't take the piss - I don't play loud for too long, but I can play louder than a lot of people can probably get away with. And the occupants of the prison are in no position to complain even if they did mind ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    I can play fairly loud at home, and my neighbour often disappears for weeks on end in his camper van too, so if that's not on the drive I can practice at stage volume.

The last time we recorded a loud rock band in my house though it turned out he was home, the camper was away for a service, oops!

He's cool though, and fairly deaf. :)
  • Deaf neighbours one side, musician the other side. All good!

The only annoying thing is the work phone ringing and spoiling my fun...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17872
    tFB Trader
    Semi detached with a deaf bloke in the house next to me. 

Rock out :D
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31918
    It seems we all have deaf neighbours, do you think it might be something we did?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562

Humm,..I have no such luck, if I played at "stage " volume" I'd probably annoy un attached neighbours never mind the attached one.

Mind you with the way our attached neighbour has been behaving lately, (banging and crashing about the house at all hours), they might get a blast of guitar practice just as they settle for the night.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    I thought our last detached house was OK for stage volume, but the sleepy village vibe meant most neighbours go to bed at 9pm, and the 1970s construction meant we had several serious complaints, even from the AC/DC fans our age 2 doors away. This was in my amp acquisition phase, when I took 10 months off work and played a lot most days

New house is 90 years old, and I fitted secondary glazing on top of the double glazing in my cave. Zero complaints, can't even hear it really outside. My ears hurt though. What was that? Sorry can you repeat that? Can you turn the TV up?
  • I lived in a detached house until recently. The only comments I got were that my music and guitar playing sounded "good". One bloke told me to turn it up to save him having to put on his own entertainment - despite me having told him that he only heard the take where I got it right once, and up to that point he was listening to the takes where I screwed it up.

I now live in a semi detached house, but the noise-making rooms are on the outside end, not the adjoining wall. I haven't put the stereo together yet and it will take a while to reassemble the recording equipment. However I am already on good terms with the neighbours - we drink together in the local. If I start disturbing them I'm sure they'll tell me ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited January 2014
    bertie said:
    57Deluxe said:

nope. I only have a neighbour on one side and the walls of my house are over 20" thick

So tis true you do live in a Castle @Bertie, show us your murder hole.

As far as noise and neighbours we have an agreement, they don't complain about my noise and I don't push burning newspaper with a dog turd in it through their letterbox.

Not really they are cool and we are the same with their racket.
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    My neighbour once suggested I buy some headphones, so I did..........and gave them to him!
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    Just one neighbour to worry about, they are a retired couple and I figure that as wife and I are both out the house for a good 12 hours during the week they have a very easy life, so half an hour in the evening wont hurt. They have never complained to be fair (actually once complimented my playing but his could have been a backhanded "we can hear you you know"!). But yes, when I see them go out at the weekend, happy days!

Thinking of moving later this year, a little further out of London for better value, I'm dreaming of that converted garage..........
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    edited January 2014
    Detatched house but the other day I leapt round in surprise when my wife kicked me, the whole family were standing there with their fingers in their ears saying they'd heard me as they'd driven up the road adjoining ours.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FezFez Frets: 540
    Regular band rehearsal lets me exercise my loud demon so I don't really need to turn the wick up at home and always stop at 9pm. Mind you I do allow the boys to annoy the wierdo Belgians on one side with Teh Brutalz occasionally.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    edited January 2014
    I was lucky up until 6mths ago as the old woman on the semi-detached side was profoundly deaf - she had both hearing aids turned up so much, they fed back - and I could turn up to a decent level, even hold house rehearsals using my son's Roland drum kit. However, new neighbours have moved in and they're fine, and we've shared our respective noises for the last few months as they were renovating the place, but now that's ended, a dead hush has descended on the street and I'll be relying more on rehearsal rooms.

Like @dindude, I yearn for a converted, soundproof garage. If we win the lottery, I'm converting ours!