Watch out - one day heatwave coming !

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Left work at 12:45, temp gauge in the car read 35 degrees, picked sprog up from Nursery, went home, fed and watered dog, changed sprogs clothes as she was minging from nursery, left house, took sprog to childminder whilst having to dodge Police roadblock due to an 'Incident', now back at work in a stuffy office with a shitty desk fan that does nothing but blow warm air in my face...

Lunch 'Breaks' eh?

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Sporky said:
    joneve said:
    I bloody love this weather. Trouble is my dog doesn't, she's not having a good time with it at all bless her. Doesn't help that our house is so well insulated, it's impossible to cool the fucking thing down!
    Sprocket has a new-found love of the paddling pool.

First she barked at it.

Then she fought it.

Then it won.
    Haha! yep, Poppy is the same. When she goes to the girl we use for day care once or twice a week she has a paddling pool and absolutely loves it. She's the only dog that doesn't nap during the day!
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    I dont like heat. I always hated anything over 25, but that was before a summer tour of Iraq. 52 in the shade, and having to work in full combats and body armour. I don't complain any more.
    @paulmapp8306 does / did the army provide you with anything in particular to ensure you don't expire in such temperatures? How do they keep everyone useful in that kind of heat?
    Ha - well, Air con in the accommodation and working blocks which kept the temps down to a barmy 40 ish while inside - thats when they didnt break (you need to push the heat out - but if the heat outside is already higher than the aircons heat it doesnt work very well).

Iced water, Iced water and more Iced water. Keeping "outside" work to a minimum (fine when in base - not so good when on patrol).  

Plenty of acclimatization (3-4 weeks in Saudi) before deploying.  It worked OK.  When coming home we had 4 days R&R/De acclimatization in Cyprus.  Temps were 35 or so, and we were wearing clothes on the beach and jumpers/sweatshirts int eh evenings at times as it felt decidedly chilly.  Needless to say the UK 15 deg (or so as it was when returning) felt positively baltic.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    just got back from a nice lil' pub in Sonning having a spot of lunch in the sunshine with a good mate [from Texas, over here on holiday with the family]…
    the car said it was 37.5C..
    toasty..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34024
    My idiot bulldog keeps trying to go outside in the heat, which will kill her on a day like this.
    I let her out for about a minute so I can work out if she needs a wee or not, which she doesn't.
    Then I try to hustle her back into the house and she tries to run away.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Emp_Fab said:
    speshul91 said:
    It's pissing me off, trying to keep a 150l fish tank as close to 25 degrees as I can. 
    Can't you sling some of those freezer blocks in ?  The ones you stick in your lunchbox ?

9can't find em so using 2l pop bottles
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    What I don't get is that it wasn't as hot as this in Greece last week when it was between 37 and 39C during the day and the sun definitely wasn't so burning and the nights weren't so sweaty even though never used the aircon and there wasn't a ceiling fan.  Probably haven't consumed enough beer I suppose, it's the only thing I can think of.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    Greek heat is less humid than British heat.  The country spends so much of the year being rained on that when the sun does come out, it's like putting a sponge in a microwave.  Greece also has less absorbent geology - lots of rocks and not a lot of topsoil.  British heat is shit compared to Greek heat.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28101
    Emp_Fab said:
    but on walkies I spray him regularly.
    Which is only fair, given that he sprays your towels.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29222
    Today seems a lot less grim than yesterday.

But I think our aircon may be past its best. Lots of wheezing noises, not much cold air.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    i hate hot weather
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I think I've gone beyond the pail of turning back and gone completely and utterly insane, apart from working all day Saturday and Sunday I've only managed about 3 or 4 hours work a day so far.  I'm usually fine in the heat, but I think the holiday did me in.

I'm walking around in a daze and I'm hopelessly addicted to the pub and the beer and my brain feels like it's been damaged since I did about 20 nitrous oxide balloons in Greece and put away some 20 pints and ten shots a day for 11 days straight with maybe only a salad fro late breakfast not to mention the overloading on my sexual and social neural networks. 

I still haven't snapped out of it and cannot concentrate nor eat properly for love nor money, the only thing I look forward to is walking the two miles to the pub again and drink as it's 31C in here and humid to fuck.

I seriously hope it's the heat and I've just gone a bit troppo and it isn't permanent brain damage as my brain is pretty much damaged enough, I think I might of had a mini stroke in Greece and fried my brain that morning I got in and my mind was flickering like a neon lamp for 5 hours.

The only rational solution I can think of is to drink even more beer.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I spent several hours today in a stairwell cleaning carpets... (not a euphemism)... I think I have melted and died