and now Germany.

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10061
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36832909

"A hand-painted flag of so-called Islamic State has been found in the room of an Afghan refugee accused of carrying out an axe and knife attack on a southern German train, officials say."
    I'm often quite skeptical when claims like that are made to be honest, as it certainly suits the authorities to blame stuff in then rather than their failing to look after their people
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123
    edited July 2016
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36832909

"A hand-painted flag of so-called Islamic State has been found in the room of an Afghan refugee accused of carrying out an axe and knife attack on a southern German train, officials say."
    I'm often quite skeptical when claims like that are made to be honest, as it certainly suits the authorities to blame stuff in then rather than their failing to look after their people
    I know, literally false flag and that. 

I think my default assumption is that many refugees will be messed up with PTSD, and the amount of ISIS propaganda around could well serve as a catalyst. 

When Jo Cox was killed, I was surprised that details of  Nazi books he'd bought 20 years earlier were published within hours. 

We can probably never know how much news is fake, and watching House of cards hasn't made me any more trusting of government

Here's  the  Southern poverty Law centre's piece on Jo Cox's killer
    https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/06/21/thomas-mair-brexit-and-us-uk-neo-nazi-connection
    They seem to  be quite keen on listing known Nazis with Brexit, which is sort of obvious , even though half the population also want to leave the EU, of course the most xenophobic  will want to as well.

To be honest,  one of the risks I'd cite  with German and Swedish policy is that the long-distance single migrants from further away in Africa and Asia will have PTSD by the time they arrive (I'm much more in favour of lifting families straight from refugee camps), these singletons will have lost friends en route, and /or seen war and torture first hand.  For them to be all successfully transplanted without a family into a foreign culture seems optimistic. Having a hate-cult propaganda machine running all the time can't help at all

Anyway, question is - are mentally-ill people more dangerous when they are exposed to a  popular ideology endorsing violence?
    I am assuming yes

I'm guessing that much in the same way that we search out evidence to understand the world, people who are nuts look around for stuff that explains the world in a way  they can accept

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

From BBC News

"A hand-painted flag of so-called Islamic State has been found in the room of an Afghan refugee accused of carrying out an axe and knife attack on a southern German train, officials say. "

"The teenager, who had claimed asylum after travelling to Germany as an unaccompanied minor, had been living with a foster family after moving from a refugee centre in the town."

if true and correctly reported: I'd be interested in the families views on the wall hanging.

"He was later sent to a psychiatric hospital and authorities said they had found no links to Islamic extremism."

Now this may well be true, but Germany 'appears' to always dumb down any possible terror activity which I'm starting to question.  Perhaps I'm too cynical, but Germany's recent migration linked events have an air of - carried out by people who are either migrants, or look like terrorists, but in fact are really.....

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Do we think that terrorists would rather our reaction was:

a) Fear

b) Fury

c) Don't give a crap

I think it's probably a combination of a and b depending on the terrorist. People aren't killed for the sake of killing, it's to provoke a reaction. If other potential terrorists see how successful they are at getting a reaction they will be more tempted to have a go themselves. So why, as individuals, do we provide them with anything other than c?

Do your bit in the war against terrorism. Ignore them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I grew up in N.I. during the worst years of 'the troubles'. One thing that I learned was that you can never compromise your life for one second in the face of these bastards. They want you to be scared, they want you to be paranoid. Fuck them to hell, they're not worth shit. As Cabbage Cat says, ignore them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2016
    Error
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2515

@CabbageCat

d) Look after ourselves and give as good as we get

Don't you guys worry about me on my daily commute.

This is me preparing to board the S8 to work this morning:

http://thedockyards.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Vikings-Season-2-Floki-official-picture-vikings-tv-series-37651177-2655-3543-767x1024.jpg

*DLM resumes binge-watching Vikings*

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1105
    Kinda sums it up.....THE SNAKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhqneAhyJkI

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    3 people shot dead in Spalding, Lincs today. WTF? 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27165
    joneve said:
    Yup, my wife was not far from the sports centre where it happened. Bloke blew his own brains out all over her friends car.

Rumour is that it was a domestic.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    joneve said:
    Yup, my wife was not far from the sports centre where it happened. Bloke blew his own brains out all over her friends car.

Rumour is that it was a domestic.
    Fecking hell!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27895

Do we think that terrorists would rather our reaction was:

a) Fear

b) Fury

c) Don't give a crap

I think it's probably a combination of a and b depending on the terrorist. People aren't killed for the sake of killing, it's to provoke a reaction. If other potential terrorists see how successful they are at getting a reaction they will be more tempted to have a go themselves. So why, as individuals, do we provide them with anything other than c?

Massively this. The one thing every single article, thought piece, and sociological paper seems to agree on it these ejects want to incite a war between themselves (representing all of Islam in their eyes), and the rest of the world, which they view as the holiest thing that could happen as it's the beginning of the end times and the thing that leads to heaven on earth. Which is of course *extremely* unlikely to be the result.

But if everyone keeps getting more worried and Trump gets in then fuck only knows what might happen. It won't be pretty.  Never mind that not a single one of the recent batch of terrorists (except maybe today's crazy axe kid) has actually come from Syria & Iraq, so bombing them into oblivion won't make the slightest bit of difference beyond creating ANOTHER generation of extremely angry orphans who will grow up hating the west. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2923
    People at the most fucked up things on this planet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    blueskunk said:
    People at the most fucked up things on this planet. 
    Never a truer word.
    <space for hire>
  • Do we think that terrorists would rather our reaction was:

a) Fear

b) Fury

c) Don't give a crap

Massively this. The one thing every single article, thought piece, and sociological paper seems to agree on it these ejects want to incite a war between themselves (representing all of Islam in their eyes), and the rest of the world, which they view as the holiest thing that could happen as it's the beginning of the end times and the thing that leads to heaven on earth. Which is of course *extremely* unlikely to be the result.

But if everyone keeps getting more worried and Trump gets in then fuck only knows what might happen. It won't be pretty.  Never mind that not a single one of the recent batch of terrorists (except maybe today's crazy axe kid) has actually come from Syria & Iraq, so bombing them into oblivion won't make the slightest bit of difference beyond creating ANOTHER generation of extremely angry orphans who will grow up hating the west. 
    Saw this on an American friend's Facebook today. This is mindset of the dumb as fuck Trump voter!!!

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13700104_1221219304575582_2946023277878957318_n.jpg?oh=d55f41a5d75294784bfbb0b4bb304210&oe=57F02E8D

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    @littlegreenman - here's the thing: I've spoken to many people who actually fought in WWII, and my wife's spoken to many many more (she's a carer), and what the fucking morons who post that shit all miss is that not a single person who fought in WWII is remotely proud of what was done to the Japanese. Not one of them would ever advocate that kind of "final solution", because it was no better than what they were fighting against in the first place.

The only people who would advocate for it? The twats who post it.

Makes my blood boil.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    I'm not sure that's a real quote. Seems like another of the brand of ideology bullshit meme posts that do the rounds on FB
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not sure that's a real quote. Seems like another of the brand of ideology bullshit meme posts that do the rounds on FB
    That's kind of my point. Should've been a bit more direct :D
    <space for hire>
  • @littlegreenman - here's the thing: I've spoken to many people who actually fought in WWII, and my wife's spoken to many many more (she's a carer), and what the fucking morons who post that shit all miss is that not a single person who fought in WWII is remotely proud of what was done to the Japanese. Not one of them would ever advocate that kind of "final solution", because it was no better than what they were fighting against in the first place.

The only people who would advocate for it? The twats who post it.

Makes my blood boil.

I know, that's the point. There's a swathe of fuckwits who seem to think that there's a simple military solution to the problems in the ME and Daesh. That you actually can bomb an ideology.

Another FB associate posited the solution as "boots on the ground, and body bags, lots of them". I'm still waiting for a response to my question of exactly where the boots should be and who the body bags should be for.

I should really get around to culling my FB ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...

Another FB associate posited the solution as "boots on the ground, and body bags, lots of them". I'm still waiting for a response to my question of exactly where the boots should be and who the body bags should be for.
    Yep...and the people who post that sort of thing are generally also the people who believe that Iraq was a successful campaign. Sadly, there's not a lot to be done to persuade them otherwise.

In fact, in that respect they have an awful lot in common with the people they want to bomb.
    <space for hire>