and now Germany.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    @littlegreenman - here's the thing: I've spoken to many people who actually fought in WWII, and my wife's spoken to many many more (she's a carer), and what the fucking morons who post that shit all miss is that not a single person who fought in WWII is remotely proud of what was done to the Japanese. Not one of them would ever advocate that kind of "final solution", because it was no better than what they were fighting against in the first place.

The only people who would advocate for it? The twats who post it.

Makes my blood boil.

My step dad fought in Burma, he was the most gentle and kindest person you'd ever want to meet.  Likewise for the 132 soldiers he fought with and remained close friends until they died.

I can quote him. "It was a terrible thing to happen, but the two bombs dropped by the Americans saved an ongoing war raged by the most cruel and despicable people on the planet at that point in time, it needed to have happened"

That was all he and his friends said about the war, the only thing they said...apart from the nightmares I used to hear him have when I was 8 years old, and the tears I witnessed fall down his face. He never mentioned anything about fighting the Japanese again.

Conversely, my father who fought in the navy,  held no views either way. My uncles who fought towards the end of the war on mainland Europe remained nuanced over the bombing of Japan.

It appears many of those who fought the Japanese have opposing views to those in todays care homes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    @littlegreenman - here's the thing: I've spoken to many people who actually fought in WWII, and my wife's spoken to many many more (she's a carer), and what the fucking morons who post that shit all miss is that not a single person who fought in WWII is remotely proud of what was done to the Japanese. Not one of them would ever advocate that kind of "final solution", because it was no better than what they were fighting against in the first place.

The only people who would advocate for it? The twats who post it.

Makes my blood boil.

My step dad fought in Burma, he was the most gentle and kindest person you'd ever want to meet.  Likewise for the 132 soldiers he fought with and remained close friends until they died.

I can quote him. "It was a terrible thing to happen, but the two bombs dropped by the Americans saved an ongoing war raged by the most cruel and despicable people on the planet at that point in time, it needed to have happened"

That was all he and his friends said about the war, the only thing they said...apart from the nightmares I used to hear him have when I was 8 years old, and the tears I witnessed fall down his face. He never mentioned anything about fighting the Japanese again.

Conversely, my father who fought in the navy,  held no views either way. My uncles who fought towards the end of the war on mainland Europe remained nuanced over the bombing of Japan.

It appears many of those who fought the Japanese have opposing views to those in todays care homes.

I spoke to my grandad and his 133 friends and they all said that Hiroshima was dreadful and wicked.

Top trumps!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27895
    I can buy the argument that the bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki effectively stopped the war and potentially saved millions of lives. I realise it's farmer complex than that and I suspect it's probably not true, but I can at least appreciate it as an attempt at an argument. But it absolutely won't apply here. Even if you flatten Syria and Iraq you still have all the people already in the USA and Europe who identify with ISIS. That would only make them stronger. 

Frankly the thought that anyone might ever press the button on a nuclear attack ever again is horrifying.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6191