First commercial drone delivery

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
    Sporky said:
    Chalky said:

Of course - especially as it only makes economic sense for the drones to carry low-weight high-value items.
    How so? Drones are cheaper to operate than trucks. This first delivery was of "Donuts, a cup of coffee, a chicken sandwich and some sweets".
    ...and a free drone.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    ICBM said:
    Drones are already easily powerful enough to lift a guitar or an amp.

… which has now evolved into this

The future looks good then ;)
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1244
    Taking down drones will become a sport, trust me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    I think this will take off.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    The issue with this is that as said above-people are going to steal them and/or take them out of the sky for shits and giggles. When I was a kid, there is zero chance that my summers would have involved anything but tracking these things down and pirating them with catapults and air guns. They'll end up only delivering to safe landing spots-which would mean the roofs of shops or delivery points like they have now. Can't see them delivering to large parts of cities at least-living in Salford there's fuck all chance I'd ever see my parcel.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Bellycaster said:

The future looks good then ;)
    Yes :).

This technology is at the "Blériot" stage now - the first recognisably modern and practical aircraft. The one in the first video is the "Wright Brothers" stage - a contraption which proves the theory, but not a practical aircraft.

I'm going to predict that the biggest problem in twenty to thirty years' time will be the sheer numbers of flying devices, from delivery drones up to "flying cars", becoming a major hazard to each other.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2526
    Sporky said:
    How? They lower the delivery from several metres up. And they have GPS; if they're intercepted it'll be known where it happened.
    In the same way that shoplifting works by not standing still in the aisle that you just trousered that frozen chicken? I'm pretty sure the shop are aware where the "incident" took place, but they're still none the wiser to the whereabouts of the chilled poultry.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Skynet.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30212
    FX_Munkee said:
    Sporky said:
    How? They lower the delivery from several metres up. And they have GPS; if they're intercepted it'll be known where it happened.
    In the same way that shoplifting works by not standing still in the aisle that you just trousered that frozen chicken? I'm pretty sure the shop are aware where the "incident" took place, but they're still none the wiser to the whereabouts of the chilled poultry.
    But the poultry doesn't constantly broadcast its position.

I'm not saying no-one will try to steal or destroy these, but I just don't think we're yet living in the sort of Mad Max dystopia where every drone delivery results in the destruction of said drone. Quite possibly there'll be no-drone areas but your average postie is probably carrying more valuable stuff every day, and they're not getting bumped off on that regular a basis.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Sporky said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Sporky said:
    But the poultry doesn't constantly broadcast its position.

I'm not saying no-one will try to steal or destroy these, but I just don't think we're yet living in the sort of Mad Max dystopia where every drone delivery results in the destruction of said drone. Quite possibly there'll be no-drone areas but your average postie is probably carrying more valuable stuff every day, and they're not getting bumped off on that regular a basis.
    maybe they'll fit the drones with chaff and flares
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    @Sporky I think you've more faith in humans than me, constantly broadcasting their position is meaningless unless there's a viable security team nearby. There's a huge difference between taking down a postie-who is capable of fighting back, identifying you in court, probably backed up by passers by etc and taking out a flying robot. I've worked as a postman in and around the roughest parts of Anfield, Liverpool and always felt fairly safe, even on Giro day, but there were always a few jokes flying about. Where I live now in Salford on the edge of a rough estate, and in the areas I delivered mail in Liverpool there is no chance I would have anything of any value flown in by drone-as a sender or sendee.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

lloyd said:
    @Sporky I think you've more faith in humans than me
    Quite possibly!

It also depends on what the drones have onboard; if they have cameras (surely they'd have to?) then anyone attacking or trying to steal one would be recorded. They could easily be bricked if stolen, making it fairly pointless to steal one, and they only need to fly 10m or so up to avoid being hit by thrown stones or bottles.

That leaves people roaming the streets with bows & arrows or guns... ;)
    would flying over someone's property at low altitude constitute trespass?
    I think they said that they plotted the route to avoid privacy concerns, so my guess is that means it doesn't fly over private property other than the delivery address.
    ah that's a shame…
    I was about to head off to an army surplus store to see if they had search lights and AA guns
    this could spawn a new hobby
    Maybe they'll have police drones with tazers on board. Or the delivery drones will have tear gas. We live in exciting times.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    haa… measures and counter measures…
    this could get fun..

know anyone that has a WWII pom pom gun?
    That seems like a lot of laws to break for some donuts.
    I really like donuts
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom