• SporkySporky Frets: 30212
    FX_Munkee said:
    I really like donuts
    £170 would buy you lots of donuts.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Clarky said:
    know anyone that has a WWII pom pom gun?
    I know where there's an original WWII searchlight, and it wouldn't shock me if the owner had the rest of the kit as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Sporky said:
    lloyd said:
    @Sporky I think you've more faith in humans than me
    Quite possibly!

It also depends on what the drones have onboard; if they have cameras (surely they'd have to?) then anyone attacking or trying to steal one would be recorded. They could easily be bricked if stolen, making it fairly pointless to steal one, and they only need to fly 10m or so up to avoid being hit by thrown stones or bottles.

That leaves people roaming the streets with bows & arrows or guns...

Camera's are fairly easily nullified by wearing a hoodie and mask, i think in my misspent yoof I'd have had the Black Widow out-fairly good range, or just pulled the string they lowered the cargo with.....I think it's the stuff onboard that would be the target rather than the drones themselves. I'm, not saying 95% of drones are going to be pirated, i just think they would, in certain areas, be very much targeted. Most areas would be fine, drone flies in high, goes to the backyard, lowers it's cargo and flies off.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited July 2016
    Skynet.
    Nah, drones are more Blade Runner than Skynet, which is cool.

We'd need multiple AIs getting online combined with self driving cars, autonomous military hardware, walking robots and web-linked cameras everywhere is Skynet.  Errr, hang on. Hmmm. Oh dear...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    ICBM said:
    Clarky said:
    I know where there's an original WWII searchlight, and it wouldn't shock me if the owner had the rest of the kit as well…
    awesomely cool
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 88

Why go to all that effort when you can put out a landing mat to attract them?

"When it reaches the delivery address, it comes down vertically onto a special landing mat that the buyer will place on their property"

From

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36887325

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Clarky said:
    ICBM said:
    Clarky said:
    I know where there's an original WWII searchlight, and it wouldn't shock me if the owner had the rest of the kit as well…
    awesomely cool
    Actually… I was thinking… I bet some enterprising geek could use a searchlight reflector and a microwave transmitter to build a beam weapon capable of frying a drone's electronics in flight.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Clarky said:
    ICBM said:
    Clarky said:
    awesomely cool
    Actually… I was thinking… I bet some enterprising geek could use a searchlight reflector and a microwave transmitter to build a beam weapon capable of frying a drone's electronics in flight.
    interesting science, but still less fun than a SAM.. lol..
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    It'll only take a personal injury claim when one crashes due to being poorly maintained... ouch!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    It'll only take a personal injury claim when one crashes due to being poorly maintained... ouch!
    ....imagine the claim when a drone gets injested into an A380 engine on a westerly take off from Heathrow, forcing the plane to crash into Windsor castle....

Seriously, from an ATC perspective, drones are a pain in the arse.  Some fucknut was flying one around Lambourne recently, forcing aircraft holding for Heathrow, to take evasive action. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    I'm not sure that people trying to steal them would be the issue, especially if they make them next to useless to anyone but the original owner/user. After all, you could say the same about cars - look at them all parked on every street corner, can't believe people leave 20k worth of personal posession out like this. Of course, some get nicked, most don't. We do still live in a civilised society fortunately.

The bigger issue will be when one falls out the sky and kills someone, or likewise a package that it is carrying.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12663
    Imagine the ensuing hilarity when Parcel Farce get hold of these
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I talked this over with wife and she said that a drone flying over your garden is trespass
    she agreed that anti aircraft defences are a reasonable solution
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Sporky said:
    lloyd said:
    @Sporky I think you've more faith in humans than me
    Quite possibly!

It also depends on what the drones have onboard; if they have cameras (surely they'd have to?) then anyone attacking or trying to steal one would be recorded. They could easily be bricked if stolen, making it fairly pointless to steal one, and they only need to fly 10m or so up to avoid being hit by thrown stones or bottles.

That leaves people roaming the streets with bows & arrows or guns... ;)
    Black widow fitted with power bands will probably out a ball bearing through one at that range. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    edited July 2016
    So a kid knocks down a drone with a catapult or air rifle or brick or whatever. What happens then? Sirens as the police arrive in minutes? No. Kid walks away with drone or just bragging rights to his mates. Will the police turn up to investigate later? No. Ain't got enough coppers to investigate house and car break-ins so who cares about a drone?

Amazon can let Gibson guitars go walkies and never come back and all they do is not renew the delivery driver's contract.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I think a lot of people are missing the point that it's not the drone people will be targeting, it's the goods being delivered....Kids will shoot them down whether they have goods loaded or not though, i know I would have.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    Interesting times ahead. They also note Amazon have some form of patent on mobile 3D printing vehicles, so the drones are probably just a temporary phase...drones -> commercial 3D printing -> domestic 3D printing -> 3rd world war -> sticks and flint tools.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2526
    Imagine the ensuing hilarity when Parcel Farce get hold of these
      I can almost see the e-mail from Yodel now... Safely Delivered To: "on roof"
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Clarky said:
    I talked this over with wife and she said that a drone flying over your garden is trespass
    she agreed that anti aircraft defences are a reasonable solution
    Your wife sounds cool. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    What if you have a pool? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.