How can I produce a CAD drawing for a scratchplate?

What's Hot
I've got an accurate pdf file, but apparently I need something different to work with the CAD software. Does anyone have any experience of doing something similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    What's the CAD software? Most decent CAD clients can import PDF, then it's just a case of checking the scaling.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1089
    That's what I thought, but I asked Guitarbuild about it and they keep knocking me back saying it won't be accurate. It's standard Jazzmaster size, so I assumed that they could just make a simple comparison.
    edited July 2016
    There's nothing inherently inaccurate about PDF. What format do they want?

Also - light the lamp, not the rat and all that - why not buy a premade?
    Because I want a Jazzmaster plate with Jaguar pickup holes, and they aren't available off the shelf. I want the control knobs shifted slightly too, so it'll have to be custom made. I just can't believe it should be so difficult if I have an accurate template, even if it's in pdf form.
    Gotcha.

It shouldn't be difficult. Certainly there are PDFs with incorrect scaling, but it's very simple to check. If you know what format they want I may be able to do the conversion for you and check the sizes.
    That's a great offer, thanks :-) I've asked them about the file format, but I'm expecting to get a negative reply. They keep asking me to put the dimensions on there, but aside from the pickup slots and the diameters of the holes, I can't see what sizings they are after to be honest in view of the abstract shape of a scratchplate.
    They may be after a few general dimensions so that they can check scaling integrity. As long as there are at least two non-parallel dimensions it's usually possible to verify that the image hasn't been sheered or stretched out of shape.

I do understand their concern; if they make it to your drawing and it doesn't fit, who's going to pay for it? There's always going to be an awkward conversation there.
    I can understand, but I find it a bit strange that they can't just cut and paste things across as it's a standard Jazzmaster plate with standard jaguar pickups. Oh well, never mind ;-)
    If they do those two as standards then they ought indeed to be able to transfer bits between them. You could always ask them for their drawings to work from, though I don't rate your chances of success.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432

You don't say where you got the accurate pdf file from but the drawing was quite likely prepared in a cad application before being converted to pdf so are you able to get that same drawing saved in a different format? Hopefully it's not hand drawn.

With cad software all dimensions can be shown automatically and Guitarbuild are probably looking for positions and sizes for the pickup and control routings, and possibly the angle of the controls. They shouldn't need dimensions for the outline of the plate if it is standard shape.

As @Sporky says, most decent cad applications can import a pdf file and convert it to a usable format including any scale adjustments. That's a great offer from @Sporky to do that for you but, as he says, you need to know from Guitarbuild exactly what file format they need.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31262

Try and download a trial copy of Autodesk 2013. You can create .dxf and .dwg files, which then can be directly used in any CAD machine.

The PDF is not a good idea. They're very random and you need precision.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    PDFs can be postscript or bitmap. Postscript is resolution free so excellent quality, bitmap can be poor, and at best won't be as good. Do you know which yours is? Maybe the problem is that it is btitmap?
    I'm not sure enough of this file, so I think I'll need to go in search of a dwg file for both a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar plate. I would have thought this would be very easy for a maker to do, but seemingly not. I've been told by two UK makers that I have to mock up my own file. I'll try and track one them down on here, but if not I imagine that the Offset forum will have something.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31262

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    I had a look at that earlier, but it seems mainly to be 3-d models of stuff. I couldn't find a Jazzmaster or Jag plate on there, but maybe I'm being thick.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7141
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    You can download Sketch Up for free. That should import PDF and export DXF.

I've just used Adobe illustrator for exactly the same job. Phil at guitarbuild emailed back an image with the dimensions on for me to check fidelity.

If you'd like to email me the PDF then I'll send you back the converted file?
    edited July 2016
    There are some very kind offers coming through here and i appreciate them all a lot :-) I'm a bit worried about this pdf that i have as I printed one off, and the pickup slots don't seem to be the correct size to me, so I'm presuming something has been lost in the conversion somewhere. I got them from here:

https://decoboom.com/pages/pickguard-shapes-templates

I'm going to do a little more digging for a true dwg/dxf file as I'm sure they're out there somewhere...

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7141
    tFB Trader
    When you print the PDF make sure you are printing actual size and not "fit to page"
    When you print the PDF make sure you are printing actual size and not "fit to page"
    That is a very good point sir!
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 763
    You have some very generous offers of help here, but looking at the problem from a different perspective you could try a different approach - get a blank Jazzmaster pickguard and drill and rout the appropriate holes yourself!

I have bought a few pickguards from a trader on eBay called 'earlpilanz' and they have been very good - I see he offers two different Jazzmaster pickguards to fit either Japanese or US/Mexican models, and they are available in a range of materials.

Alternatively there is 'Jacks Instrument Services' here in Manchester (Google for his website). I haven't used his services, but do know he makes bespoke pickguards.