Trip to Scotland?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
Free from work and no gigs next so I thought I might take advantage and drive up north for a break.   
I can't trek up hills but a day or two in a city and some time in the country mixed with a bit of history would be cool.  
Anyone have suggestions on places/events/accommodation that I should check out? 

(Edit should have said I can't trek up hills til my knee is fixed)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    Edinburgh is one of the best cities in the world, never mind Scotland. August is a great time to visit, assuming you can find accomodation. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Just drive around off the map and don't get beaten up.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3308
    Aviemore has cool scenery.
  • Obvious suggestion but Rannoch Moor ,  Glencoe and the drive down Glen Etive nearby, are hard to beat for scenery and walking. 

Isles of Glencoe hotel has some wonderful rooms with views. 

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    If the weather's nice, drive from Fort William to Mallaig and have a day at Morar Sands. Perfect beaches with crytal clear (but freezing) waters.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Sambostar said:
    Just drive around off the map and don't get beaten up.
    Just occasionally, you make a lot of sense :).

It's hard to recommend just one or two bits of Scotland really - it's all good, apart from some areas of the big cities. Like anywhere really…

The only thing I would say is to remember that the distances get big, fast once you get north of Perth, and it can become tedious driving if you try to go too far without working out how much time you need to allow for it.

Don't overlook the south - both the Borders and the Dumfries & Galloway areas have a lot to recommend them and are much closer to England (but except for that ;) ).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16668
    I've had a few holidays touring around Scotland and as said above some of the roads can be slow ( although the odd one East to West are pretty much dead straight and fast).  Remembering to fill the car with fuel is often a good idea, we've arrived at places running on vapours. Given the time of year some places will be busy - someone mentioned Aviemore which has lots to do but is very busy in peak season. 
    Going up and down Loch Ness was as interesting as anything, the visitor centre is a bit naff but quite interesting ( they make a suprising amount of effort to debunk their own myth). A lot of the small towns are nice. Eating out can be quite limited and expensive - small towns where the restaurants are aiming at American golfers so lots of over priced steaks. But fill up on macaroni pies and scotch pies and, well anything made into a pie. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 774
    Pitlochry, Dunkeld, Ullapool or The Black Isle.
    If you want urban than +1 for Edinburgh.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    I'd add that the south west / Solway Coast is also very nice. Kipford, Rockcliffe etc.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    Loch Ness, stay at Drumawhotsit.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    Thanks chaps - a few places to add to the list to check out.   
    I'm tempted to drive around the very north.   
    And toying with a mix of camping and hotels depending on the weather.  
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1209
    The distillery tour at Glenturret (a Famous Grouse owned distillery) is fascinating. It's in Crieff which is well located for a trip across to Loch Lomond too.
  • Edinburgh is great if you want historic tourist stuff or the festival. Accommodation will be an issue though. 
    East Lothian is nice & scenic: beaches, countryside etc. 
    Pitlochry is lovely, a nice mix of hills etc & distilleries. I recommend the Edradour one- smallest commercial distillers in Scotland. The free tour cost us £80. You've been warned. 
    I also love the islands- Mull & Iona in particular are beautiful. 

You really can't go wrong... Till you cross the border heading south! ;)

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315

Dunoon is a lovely starting place/point to tour the

Scottish countryside....and plenty of trips available on the Worlds last ocean going paddle steamer, the Waverly

if you do go tae Dunoon check out the Blairmore gardens if only tae see the giant Californian redwood trees...if you tip the guide a wink he'll show you Emma Thompson's house nestling in the hills....  

tae be or not tae be
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Get ye to Glasgee young man...

One of the great British cities. 

I love the transport museum there. Buses, police cars, Edie McCreedie's bus... great stuff. 

The museum and art gallery too...what a place. 

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If you want decent weather go to Highland Perthshire. The scenery is amazing (google the Queen's view) and a lot of it is in microclimates so less rain and misery. If your lucky with weather, go to the west coast. When it´s nice their it is the most scenic part of the country. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Skye

/thread

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16668
    If you really like European backpackers and Chinese tourists wandering around every where it's brilliant...  ;)
    Gassage said:
    Skye

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    If you really like European backpackers and Chinese tourists wandering around every where it's brilliant...  ;)
    Gassage said:
    Skye

My folks lived there for 12 years.

I never really saw either.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    If you like whisky then try Islay, they have some truly amazing distilleries there. The ferry goes from Kennacraig on the west coast.