Trip to Scotland?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16668
    Gassage said:
    If you really like European backpackers and Chinese tourists wandering around every where it's brilliant...  ;)
    Gassage said:
    Skye

My folks lived there for 12 years.

I never really saw either.
    I was there for three days and could hardly move for them. Amazingly busy,  people seemed to pop up out of nowhere. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    John_P said:
    Thanks chaps - a few places to add to the list to check out.   
    I'm tempted to drive around the very north.   
    And toying with a mix of camping and hotels depending on the weather.  
    The very north? Well on the eastern corner you've got the Stacks of Duncansby near John o' Groats, and near the west corner you should check out Smoo Cave.
    It's pretty sparse up there. Coming down the northwest coast there are some beautiful beaches. Check out Ullapool, Applecross, Plockton if you have time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    It's a *very* big drive right around the north. Beautiful, but if you're the driver you'll miss a lot of it.

You'll also be lucky to average much over 40mph once you get north of Inverness, even on the main roads other than going straight up to Wick/Thurso - and even that can be difficult if you get behind something slower. Plus what Eric said about fuel.

I'm not saying don't do it, but don't try to do it in a couple of days either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited July 2016
    ensure your passport is up to date cos would be a shame to get all the way up there and turned away at the border crossing...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    We're two days into a short break at Dunoon and we're leaving early. Partly because the girlfriend is ill but also because there's not much to do here, it's like a post-apocalyptic world.
    And yeah, even though I've lived in and around Edinburgh since birth, I still think it's one of the best cities in the world.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    We're two days into a short break at Dunoon and we're leaving early. Partly because the girlfriend is ill but also because there's not much to do here, it's like a post-apocalyptic world.
    It's because of all the radiation from the old US base.

Count your fingers when you get back...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

:) it's the first time we've left early on holiday - I found it a bit depressing!
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    Arisaig... stunningly beautiful and not that far. And the sea is warm enough for swimming thanks to the Gulf Stream (or what's left of it). Skye is amazing too. And Edinburgh... and Perthshire. ;)
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    :) it's the first time we've left early on holiday - I found it a bit depressing!

http://www.visitcowal.co.uk/dunoon.html

tae be or not tae be