Honours list, what a joke

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
edited August 2016 in Off Topic
I hate all that honours bullshit. Gongs for your rich pals. Cameron is seriously taking the piss, he's nominated the wife's personal stylist FFS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/31/tory-mps-accuse-david-cameron-of-devaluing-the-system-by-awardin/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Does anyone take it seriously or respect these anymore? They should fuck off all the celebrities and sportsmen and women and make it about charity workers and people that have done good things for their community IMO. Celebrities and sports stars enjoy enough limelight without all this palaver, Keef got it spot on for me though and I lose some respect for certain people who accept them.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    It's about time all that meaningless honours malarkey got consigned to history where it belongs.
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    I work in centrall Govt, and deal with these nominations from time to time. The numbers of people declining these things is rising sharply year on year. Lists llike this don't help, plus the 'British Empire' part seems to put a few people off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    I hate all that honours bullshit. Gongs for your rich pals. Cameron is seriously taking the piss, he's nominated the wife's personal stylist FFS

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/31/tory-mps-accuse-david-cameron-of-devaluing-the-system-by-awardin/
    Cant believe that.
    honours for people who donate to campaigns?
    surely thats illegal.
    boils my piss what these people get away with.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11683
    'Twas ever thus, nothing new.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    Andy Burnham, the shadow home secretary, said that if the list was accepted it “will destroy any remaining shred of respect for the honours system”.

Maybe that's the point? The honours system is an anachronism, just like the monarchy itself. I'd like to think that Cameron's being satirical with this as a final "fuck you" to the whole thing. After seeing his final PMQ, that seems like a reasonable conclusion.

If that's the case, I'd like to buy the man a beer :D
    <space for hire>
     I'd like to think that Cameron's being satirical with this as a final "fuck you" to the whole thing. After seeing his final PMQ, that seems like a reasonable conclusion.

If that's the case, I'd like to buy the man a beer D

Why? I'd have more respect for him if he felt like that and tried to do something about it when he was in power, smells of cowardice to me, the man's a snake.

• scrumhalf said:
    'Twas ever thus, nothing new.
    True.

I had a look at some of the previous years honours lists, and there were some given that make this list seem mundane.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Andy Burnham, the shadow home secretary, said that if the list was accepted it “will destroy any remaining shred of respect for the honours system”.

Maybe that's the point? The honours system is an anachronism, just like the monarchy itself. I'd like to think that Cameron's being satirical with this as a final "fuck you" to the whole thing. After seeing his final PMQ, that seems like a reasonable conclusion.

It would have made a bigger "fuck you" statement if he'd made no nominations at all. Or put Jimmy Cranky up for a peerage. 
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 229
    Its been a dodgy system for years. I'm not sure why its such big news this time. Here is an article from the private eye listing some of the questionable people in the Queens Birthday honours back in June. At that time the media was more excited about the likes of Rod Stewart getting honoured.
    http://www.private-eye.co.uk/issue-1421/in-the-back
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    lloyd said:

Why? I'd have more respect for him if he felt like that and tried to do something about it when he was in power, smells of cowardice to me, the man's a snake.
    Why? Because I'm not predisposed to hate him.

Anyway, as I understand it, the PM can't do anything about it, because it's part and parcel of the whole monarchy deal. Aside from that, it may not even have occurred to him to do anything about it until he was leaving his job; let's face it, we've all considered leaving a shit in the fridge on our last day. This could've been the least-damaging thing he could've done ;)
    <space for hire>
  • If these people/lizards want to bestow these meaningless awards upon each other I'm OK with that, as long as they don't expect any more respect or deference from the likes of me.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    lloyd said:

Why? Because I'm not predisposed to hate him.

Anyway, as I understand it, the PM can't do anything about it, because it's part and parcel of the whole monarchy deal. Aside from that, it may not even have occurred to him to do anything about it until he was leaving his job; let's face it, we've all considered leaving a shit in the fridge on our last day. This could've been the least-damaging thing he could've done

Fair comment.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Reminds me of the Barron's that used to kill the revolting serf peasants for the King and were awarded a peership and masses of formerly common land as a result.  Not much difference in my opinion,  It's all sewn up.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11683
    Hve a look at the fuss caused by Harold Wilson's retirement honours list some forty years ago.

Plus ca change, plus la meme chose.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    Why do the people who think that the honours system is anachronistic and meaningless get so wound up by these announcements?

I think they are worthless. So whether they give them out like gold or like confetti, makes no difference.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6939

I'd be happy to buy the man a big punch in his greasy, parasitical face. Not because of the "honours list" but just because the man's a c**t. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30220
    They should give the Queen one. She has to hand them all out, it's about time the old dear got something back.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    The whole furore around this smacks of getting political retaliation in first. List hasn't been issued yet.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    I got to go to buck palace many years ago to see my old man receive the queen's medal for gallantry.
    It was quite funny to hear people hissing every time someone got nighted for their services to the inland revenue.
    Hopefully the audience will be even more vocal for Cameron's selection :)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"