What are you paying for Sky TV

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I have a bit of a problem giving any of my money to any company associated with Rupert Murdoch... so I've never had Sky.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

I can't believe that people are willing to pay the annual Amazon Prime premium for one month of Sky. A colleague recently escaped from them and said that it was extremely liberating. It just dawned on him one day that he had been treating it like a utility bill for years - never really considering how unnecessary it was in this streaming era.

As a rich man's frivolity I'm happy for it to continue but people still have Sky when they are living hand-to-mouth or trying to save for a house deposit. I find it baffling.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492

I can't believe that people are willing to pay the annual Amazon Prime premium for one month of Sky. A colleague recently escaped from them and said that it was extremely liberating. It just dawned on him one day that he had been treating it like a utility bill for years - never really considering how unnecessary it was in this streaming era.

As a rich man's frivolity I'm happy for it to continue but people still have Sky when they are living hand-to-mouth or trying to save for a house deposit. I find it baffling.

Exactly. I'm not exactly a rich man - but I can still afford it, so I'll keep it until I can't - if we need to save money, this will be the first thing to go. I plan on building a Raspberry Pi in the coming months (for gaming) - so will look to add some sort of thing (Kodi) onto this if the internet can ever handle it. 

But the thing is - until my broadband is good enough to handle streaming - it's the only way to watch the TV that we want to watch. And I watch a lot of sport - and the wife even watches Netball now, so we certainly get our money's worth. 

We watch TV in the evenings to wind down after a busy day at work. Some people read, we watch TV. I enjoy TV. 

But, as you say, if I'm living hand-to-mouth, the first thing I'm getting rid of is the Sky TV. 
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    They just phoned me to ask why I left and to make a special offer to entice me to stay. I've already signed a contract with BT, as I said I would Monday. I asked the guy why they're prepared to actually make offers now but couldn't before I cancelled. He said I'd spoken to the wrong team. I replied it's not really up to me who their switchboard put me through to!

Useless.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    They just phoned me to ask why I left and to make a special offer to entice me to stay. I've already signed a contract with BT, as I said I would Monday. I asked the guy why they're prepared to actually make offers now but couldn't before I cancelled. He said I'd spoken to the wrong team. I replied it's not really up to me who their switchboard put me through to!

Useless.
    When people like that ring up and I know I won't be switching back I usually tell them, as sincerely as I can manage, that I have terminal cancer and will soon be dead.
    What is interesting is how they then handle the rest of the conversation.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jesus wept, HOW MUCH are you people paying to watch TV?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Useless.
    I can only wish you luck with BT. 

I called them yesterday to find out when my contract ended for my broadband, so I could move to Sky (to keep costs down, they can offer me a better price).

BT: "Today sir, good instincts!"
    Me: "Great - so I can place an order with sky today and no issues with paying fees for leaving my contract early"
    BT: "No, none at all"

there was some conversation about getting me to stay but they can't match the price and they still can't offer my Fibre in my area, so I'm not interested. I need the cheapest price possible as the broadband I get is 2mb, so I'm reluctant to pay anything!

Order placed with Sky yesterday, all was well. 

Anyway - I then get a text today; "Sorry to hear you're leaving. Just to let you know there will be a charge of £55 for leaving"

So I called them - turns out my contract doesn't end till the 19th of this month. Good work, fucking bellends. 

After a 30 minute phone call (fucksake!) and threatening legal action - they have taken the £55 charge off my account. 

I've been messed around for over a year by BT. Good riddance to them. 

On the flip side (I'll jinx it now) - I've never had a problem with Sky or their customer service...long may that continue. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    I thought NOW TV was the cheapest way to get sky normally?
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I cannot wait to ditch BT next March. 38mb/s guaranteed they said- not even close. I called to complain that we were rarely over 6mb/s and the lovely techie told me that if I plugged my laptop via an ethernet cable directly into the router and turned off the wifi to all other devices I would have 40mb/s. Not exactly what their adverts with the socially stunted student alluded to is it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    boogieman said:
    Jesus, and I thought £40 a month for Virgin was raping us. We get 50 meg fibre broadband, phone line with free evening & weekend calls and a basic tv package with TiVo box. 
    That's exactly the same we're paying with Virgin. 54Mbps I use KODI for films/sports.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Spoke to them today £85 best offer for phone line, Sky fibre broadband, Full HD TV movies and all sports family package kids tv etc.

Do I need to actually leave and be in my cancellation period before they actually make me a sensible offer like £70-75 
    capo4th said:
    Spoke to them today £85 best offer for phone line, Sky fibre broadband, Full HD TV movies and all sports family package kids tv etc.

Do I need to actually leave and be in my cancellation period before they actually make me a sensible offer like £70-75 
    I'd bite their hand off for £85 for the full package including broadband, personally! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom