Keepers

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
edited October 2016 in Guitar
What guitars have you invested in you were totally satisfied with.. i.e. in that you still have them and have never regretted the cost and will probably always keep?

I've been through loads of guitars in my 57 years but my absolute keepers are:

1. Luther Dickinson ES-335, hung onto  for a year and then sold to me by @Majorscale  who was an absolute gent.. I will be buried with this.

2. Tokai LS-160 Love Rock that I purchased from Ishibashi a couple of years ago. Just a stunning instrument.

3. 1996 Orville Cherry ES-335 that I got off Ebay that I retrofitted with a modifield Bigsby B6 and Towner tension bar.

4. AVRI 52 Telecaster picked up from Music Village just before John De Costa sold the whole original company down the Swanny.

These are my 'Keepers' and will never leave my side.

What are your keepers?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16311
    edited August 2016

some nice gear there EQ....had the 335 but unfortunately did not have the arms for it...

I have the AVRI and very happy too ....it's my main home/practise guitar at the mo

then I have my 2014 LP Historic...plain top( bought it from that cat in Germany) ....I'm a les Paul guy through and through....

never owned a strat but hope tae rectify that soon...

tae be or not tae be
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    1 My Les Paul Classic-bought in 2004 and had Lollars put in it last year. Its my number 1. 
    2 Ric 360 this one is lovely and better than the 330 which might go, might not.
    3 Ovation Custom Balladeer-family heirloom, dont play it wont sell it. 
    4 NS NXT whats not to love about a double bass you can actually carry to a gig and hear it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 678
    No such thing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    Jackobean said:
    No such thing.
    Are you still young @Jackobean:)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My 2014 Gibson Trini Lopez that was bought as a combined present for my 40th. I could never move this on. 

My Gibson J45 that was bought around 11 years ago when I was splitting with the former Mrs Badlydrawnbanjo. This will never go. It's my f'ck you!

I've recently picked up an R6 Les Paul too which feels like it been with me forever. Can't see that going anywhere either. 

Im not a Gibson fan boy though! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited August 2016
    My D28 has been with me for well over 20 years, I've owned my '64 335 since 2003 and I'm pretty convinced I'll never part with my recently acquired 2006 CS Strat....
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    1. Fretboard Jazzmaster
    2. See 1.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited August 2016
    All my guitars could be subject to change.. I always thought my Pearl would be a keeper but over the years I've grown out of love with LPs, just too heavy and I'm tired of the lack of ergonomics/general comfort. My SG should really stay with me forever as my dad helped pay for it but again tastes change and if I need the money it's the only guitar I have thats worth a bit.

I'll probably never sell my acoustic though, an old Crafter. Nothing special but I rarely play acoustic and it does the job for when I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jackobean said:
    No such thing.
    Agreed ... I used to think there was, but I'm far to fickle :D
  • Everything I have right now is too good vs my laziness to sell 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Jackobean said:
    No such thing.
    I don't understand this sentiment. At some point surely everybody will come across a great guitar that is also very hard to replace. That is the definition of Keeper.
    It is also one of the only known cures for GAS.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1587
    edited August 2016
    I have been through so many guitars over my 25 years of playing, but these three will never be willingly sold. For different reasons they all instantly bonded with me:

1. Collings City Limits P90 Goldtop
    2. Fender CS "Wildwood 10" Sonic Blue 52 Telecaster
    3. PRS AL D

@equalsql, I'm so glad that you found your #1 in the LD335, a stunning guitar that one. There is one for sale in CCGX for over £3k. Oooops! ;-)
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 666
    70's USA koa B.C.Rich mockingbird shorthorn. Marmite for most, but its my No1 and will go to the grave with me, its just phenominal. 90's SG Custom '61 and my 40th Birthday present from my wife - LP Junior (which is an absolute beast) all the rest are great but no match for my trinity. 
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    1955 Les Paul Junior
    '61 Reissue ES335 
    2001 R8 (ex. Mick Ralphs)
    2001 J45

The rest always hang in the balance....
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Haven't found one yet.  But I'm enjoying the search!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Probably my Levinson, i had one in the early 2000's that i loved but i sold it (along with 5 other strats) to fund a couple of PRS CE's.
     As soon as dropped onto this one i knew it was the one for me, although a bit battered it just had a great feel. I've changed out the bridge saddles to graptecs, the bridge pickup is now a dimarzio tone zone s and the machine heads were binned off for locking klusons. The Levinson is now an absolute machine, rock solid tuning stability even under heavy trem abuse, sounds huge and has a really large selection of tones (the combination of HSS and VSC).

I did a little recording today using just the guitar direct into the amp and it sounded great and i had a mega fun time doing it.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1109
    My 335. My wife bought half of it for my 40th

I've played it on and off over the last 11 years but recently it's become myain guitar and it just seems to get better each time that I play it. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    My Suhr Modern 24. 
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 521
    edited August 2016
    89 SG Custom
     93 ( I think?) 40th anni LP 

Probably the two worst guitars I own. Still the two that go everywhere with me all over the world to every gig i've ever played since owning them which is around 15 years a piece roughly..
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    1. 76 Ovation Viper
    2. Gibson S-1
    Gordon Smith GS2 now fitted with Lollar P90s.