Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Massive Les Paul Confusion - Definitive guide anywhere?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    ESBlonde said:
    Play a whole lot of examples and pass up no opportunity to try a guitar. Remember that one of the USA/world autorities on original bursts owns and plays a 57 goldtop because it plays and sound the best! Don't be swayed by colour or smell, just play it and you'll know when it's right.
    Somebody told me that Jesus will return but I had no idea that Duane was back too.  =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Picture the scene:-

You’re on stage with your band. You’re the headline act and the joint is ROCKIN’!  The condensation is running down the walls and the atmosphere is electric. The audience is pogo-ing and dancing like the floor is on fire.  Moist knickers are raining down on you from the yearning admirers from all angles.

The soundcheck was fast and the P.A. crystal clear. The sound engineers are polite and in no way condescending. The bassist turned up on time.  The drummer hasn’t missed a beat all day. The singer has been pitch perfect and charismatic all evening. Your pedals are set up to perfection and the wall of vintage amps are roaring like a pride of lions.

You’re in the ZONE, the band is tight. It feels like your blood has been replaced with a cocktail of endorphins, adrenalin and rocket fuel. The climax of the set is upon you, the pyrotechnics explode, the laser show dazzles, the spotlights bare down as you place your foot on the monitor and hit a perfect three tone bend into your EPIC EARTH SHATTERING ORGASMIC  SOLO!

Planets align, angels sing and the ancient Gods weep at your magnificent awesomeness. The gates of utopia open before you and…

and…

and…

…then you suddenly remember that the beautiful re-issue Les Paul you’re playing doesn’t have a long tenon or hide glue and you wake up crying, having soiled your TGP branded pyjamas.

Please, for the sake of the children, choose wisely and don’t let this happen to you. :'(

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited September 2016
    The long tenon has never concerned me that much. Many of the later 'Bursts (made in 1960) did not have a full length tenon and no one has ever complained.
    The Glue....not sure.
    Truss rod sheath? (not having one). Now that interests me. That might be a good reason to want a Les Paul Historic made in the last 3 years. There must be some reason why a lot of old (original) Les Pauls transmit a lot of vibration felt through the neck and having a naked truss rod is as good a reason as any.

• might have been a bit bored this afternoon...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11966
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Voxman said:
    I have permission from Mrs Voxman to treat myself to a quality guitar up to £5k, and I'm leaning heavily to another Les Paul as my 1990 LP Custom is very lonely!   

[edit]

In short....HEEEEELP!  
    If you're only "leaning heavily" and not absolutely set on it being a bigG, a trip to Croydon to see Mr Feline might serve you well, it being not exactly far from you.

You could spec *exactly* what you want in terms of timbers, hardware, finish, neck profile, weight (etc, etc, etc) and get a sizeable chunk of change from your budget - certainly enough to buy Mrs Voxman a very large bunch of flowers for being so understanding.  And probably a new amp for yourself too.

If I was spending £5k, I'd want to check one or two other options.

Sorry, now I'm "that guy" too.
    Why not put yourself down for on of our 25th anniversary Lions.
    They are going to be very very limited and in time will become very appreciated
    They will come with a special limited edition ThropyFX Peacekeeper too.
    We go for the best of everything without trying to adhere to what was done in the past.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Does it come in solid colours?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4957
    edited September 2016
    Hi TTony-There's a lot of Feline guitars that l do like the look of...but I have to be honest and say that 25th Anniversary (whilst I am sure is outstandingly spectacular) just isn't my cup of tea...sorry 'bout that - what can I say, I'm a very boring, traditional guy I'm afraid.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Why not put yourself down for on of our 25th anniversary Lions.
    We go for the best of everything without trying to adhere to what was done in the past.

Are you going to do any without the Emperor's New Clothes pickups? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    I have permission from Mrs Voxman to treat myself to a quality guitar up to £5k, and I'm leaning heavily to another Les Paul as my 1990 LP Custom is very lonely!   

Now, I'm sure this has come up loads before - but like many others I am utterly confused and bewildered by the LP variations e.g. 58R, 59R, R0, R7, R8, R9, (and then the specs change every year!) Heritage, Historic, True Historic, Traditional, Custom Shop, which are weight relieved and which aren't, pro's/cons of different woods, different electronics (50's wiring? bumble caps? like I know what that means etc), different neck thickness's, shapes, different tenon/heel joints, etc etc.  I've tried reading up on all this but am just getting more confused.  

So, I'm trying to figure out the hierarchy order of cost/quality, and whether a LP costing £4-5k really is worth the money.  I'm going to try out as many as I can before buying, and will likely buy 'pre-owned', and I'd prefer one with slight ageing rather than a gloss one, but I really want to better understand exactly what I'm buying, what sellers to trust (I know there are imitations around), and what's the best version(s) to look for from the perspective of build, tone, quality of woods/electronics, authenticity/differences with e.g. a real '58, '59, and which is the best from a wanted/respected/re-sale/investment perspective.  

I suppose I'd like a LP that's as near to an original 59 or 58 as I can get.  

So, is there some guide somewhere that covers all this?  And what years were the best to look out for?  

In short....HEEEEELP!  

Well you must try a Tom Anderson Bulldog.The ultimate Les Paul Type without all the faults of a Gibson Les Paul.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11966
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    nickb_boy said:
    Why not put yourself down for on of our 25th anniversary Lions.

Are you going to do any without the Emperor's New Clothes pickups?
    I don't understand ...can't you see them.........Ash said that only the truly enlightened can see or hear them

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Lodious said:

So as others have said, def. try before you buy. I'd be far happier getting a good one new at 5K than a s/h dog at 2.2k.

If you are buying online etc, once doing all the obligatory checks etc, how do you know if you’re buying a “s/h dog” ? Is there any way of knowing before you spend at least a couple of grand ? 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8476
    Is the LP Traditional comparable to an R8 or R9 in neck profile?

What if you want a fat neck P90 LP with Bigsby? Is that an R7? 
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1362
    TheMarlin said:
    Is the LP Traditional comparable to an R8 or R9 in neck profile?

What if you want a fat neck P90 LP with Bigsby? Is that an R7? 
    IMO Gibson USA's 50's necks aren't anywhere near as fat as Gibson Custom Shop's historic reissue 50's necks.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    You have my sympathy. Asking about Gibson here is a minefield.