Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone abandoned individual pedals and gone back to a multi-FX?

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• Trails only spill between patches if you switch one patch off before switching the next one on. Which, really, defeats the whole "less tapdancing" point.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    Stop badmouthing them! I'm hoping to sell one! 

;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Trails only spill between patches if you switch one patch off before switching the next one on. Which, really, defeats the whole "less tapdancing" point.
    I think it depends on what you want/expect from your delay pedal, if you are comparing against Timelines, Timefactors and DD-500 then yes it has a lot to be desired but it's half the price.
    But if you are stacking it against say a DD-20 or a DL-4 then it's a beast. 
    It has presets, midi switchable between them, tap tempo and a looper, the edit ability of the tone print section is pretty special too. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    I think it depends on what you want/expect from your delay pedal, if you are comparing against Timelines, Timefactors and DD-500 then yes it has a lot to be desired but it's half the price.
    But if you are stacking it against say a DD-20 or a DL-4 then it's a beast. 
    It has presets, midi switchable between them, tap tempo and a looper, the edit ability of the tone print section is pretty special too. 
    You can't even bypass it with MIDI, though, without losing one of your presets. Utter lunacy.

Also, and yes I realise this is the spillover issue again, but you can't have spillover if you're switching with MIDI. The simple solution would've been to allow the player to enable/disable presets with MIDI CCs, so you could disable one patch and then enable the next one quickly enough to give the impression of a patch switch while retaining trails.

The worst part? They've already got a full MIDI implementation in all of the Toneprint pedals (that's how the editor works - MIDI over USB, with all parameter changes by CC), but none of it's exposed on the MIDI ports. That's what I meant by "half-assed".

Admittedly, none of this makes any difference to somebody who's just using it as a straight-up pedal, but that's not me. Hence me being annoyed with it after I bought one ;)
    <space for hire>
  • Anyway, back on topic, I have a Vox Tonelab Le which I'm currently using as a midi trigger device, but if someone is interested in trying a cheap but solid and pretty decent sounding multi fx. PM me. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Those TC pedals are the most frustrating delay pedals everrrrrr!
    Why?
    Lack of spillover between patches
    Lack of global tap tempo
    A MIDI implementation that's not got enough functionality to even be described as "half-assed"
    Yep. This.

Also the Triple Delay...

"Let's make a delay that can run multiple engines at once... but lets not give the ability to keep them in sync 100% of the time because the tap switch doesn't work for any of the bypassed ones... let's justify this with nonsense argumentation about slapback echo... even though anyone buying this pedal doesn't care about that... because you don't need three delays for slapback echo..."

Still makes me proper rage.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I've never tried the X4, but the small Flashback also has the worst footswitch known to man, which makes precision timing of the looper function all but impossible… which is kind of a big problem for a looper - at least without almost stamping the switch through the pedal, which I would try to avoid since they're also notorious for breaking.

I have a loathing of metal click footwsitches anyway, but this one was particularly nasty. It's slightly annoying that quite a few modern multi-FX are now using metal switches - even if they're really only for show, and they're actually soft switches underneath.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein