Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Biggest "I should've bought that" regret?

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11512
    Martin HD28V in the shop that used to be near Liverpool St Station.  I went back to buy it a couple of weeks later but it had sold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rickenbacker 620/12 for $350, when on a business trip to the US in 1996. Played it for ages but decided I didn't need an electric 12. Realised my error, went back the next day and of course it was gone.

Vox AC30 for £150 in 1987-ish, when most folks were more interested in rack gear. I didn't buy it because it was "only" 30 watts and wouldn't be loud enough for me. *Facepalm*
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Ancho Poblano strat I fell in love with but the other "I wish" was a Suhr Select Tele I played 18 months ago - thought it had gone but then it showed up again and I got it a few months back :)
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7424
    I once saw an RG550 on ebay, lazer blue but someone had swapped the neck for one with jem pyramid inlays. It looked awesome. I think about that quite regularly even though it was about 11 years ago.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1396
    edited September 2016
    The MIM 72RI Tele deluxe that went for about £345 on eBay the other month.

The silverface Bandmaster Reverb that was located in Birmingham and sold for £250 like the week before I had the moneyballs to buy it.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited September 2016
    I don't think it is fair (on you) to regret a missed investment opportunity. You only know that in hindsight.

Missing a great guitar is another thing. If you think about all the guitars you have picked up (because they interest you) that have been just OK, nice but no more, they probably represent 99 out of 100 guitars. The one that makes you nervous (because your subconscious mind knows that this is not the right moment to buy and yet this is The One) is probably The One.

If you picked up 100 guitars over a period of time and didn't buy The One even though you knew it was The One, there was probably no point in pickup up the others. This explains why Bono has still not found what he is looking for.
    He played a great guitar in a shop and then drove home to log onto the Fretboard. He then posted: I just played a Fender Strat with an incredible neck. I can't stop thinking about it. Where can I find a guitar like that??

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    A '57 Junior from @woody_89, in a moment of weakness I let my pal snag it instead....what a fool.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Les Paul Recording - actually there were two - in Musical Exchanges in Brum in 1990ish - both were £200 and sat there for years it seemed. I thought the pickups looked moody so didn't bother :(

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73003
    Skipped said:
    I don't think it is fair (on you) to regret a missed investment opportunity. You only know that in hindsight.

Missing a great guitar is another thing. If you think about all the guitars you have picked up (because they interest you) that have been just OK, nice but no more, they probably represent 99 out of 100 guitars. The one that makes you nervous (because your subconscious mind knows that this is not the right moment to buy and yet this is The One) is probably The One.

If you picked up 100 guitars over a period of time and didn't buy The One even though you knew it was The One, there was probably no point in pickup up the others. This explains why Bono has still not found what he is looking for.
    He played a great guitar in a shop and then drove home to log onto the Fretboard. He then posted: I just played a Fender Strat with an incredible neck. I can't stop thinking about it. Where can I find a guitar like that??

That Les Paul Custom is like that. I could have bought it if I'd traded all my other guitars and a small amount of money - the seller was happy to do that, since he would have been able to sell them more easily - but I backed out because I thought I needed the "versatility" of my collection of different guitars.

I had been using the Les Paul for some recordings along with the others, and when I listen to them now I can't really tell what guitar I used on what… except for one, which is blindingly obvious. I still think about the stupidity of missing that opportunity.

It's nothing to do with the investment - but I couldn't afford to buy the same guitar now even if I did sell all my other guitars, it's gone up proportionately far more. The sad thing is that if I had bought it, I may still not own it now because we had to remortgage a few years ago to build an extension on the house, and I may well have sold it then… it would probably have covered the shortfall.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• A Fender Custom or Maverick (I can't remember which) that I happened across in Stix, Peterborough, 1991. It was £495 or so and I *really* wanted it. Unfortunately I'd just bought a couple of Rickenbackers and was totally skint. Of course, those things go for upwards of £3K these days. If you can find one.
     The other one was a Sonic Blue ibanez Strat copy, possibly a Roadstar or Blazer. It was in the music shop above HMV in Bedford for £125 and despite me not getting on with Strats, I loved that one. When I turned up with the money it had gone. I've not seen one since.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Local Cash Converters had a Taylor for £500 many years ago. I nipped home to check the model (no smart phones back then!), and saw it was worth about £1600. Shot back but it was gone.

Same shop had an N4 for silly money. Once again, I couldn't recall if that was the good one. The trip home confirmed that it was but I returned and it was sold.

I don't feel too bad though as they were probably both nicked!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6409
    PRS McCarty in pale teaburst circa 2005 for £900
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    I saw an N4 in a Cash converters a few years ago, about £120. Didnt know anything about it, again pre-smartphone. Was a proper one, but much arguing with ex-wife about it meant I didnt go back that day. Next day it was gone.
  • PlukkyPlukky Frets: 282
    CC#1 Les Paul - I dithered over the upcharge from R8 to R9 and then another upcharge to the CC and decided "to pick one up cheaper second hand in 6 months time".  So of course now they rarely come up for sale and then at a higher price than new...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16927

the one I always remember was an old Dean ML. I saw it in a cash converters about 1998.  It had a really lurid 3 colour sunburst (as in 3 totally clashing colours) and a scalloped maple fretboard. All looked to be done well and original, if in totally bad taste

Possibly the ugliest thing I have ever seen and I have been unable to accurately describe it to anyone since.  I wish I had bought it to prove it existed

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I nearly bought a nice little solid body Rickenbacker but the neck was too skinny. Of course, in those days I didn't realise you can get used to different sized necks if you take the trouble.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I regret drinking four nights a week. If I'd have just done two, I probably would have not had as many money troubles and maybe bought some more items than I did in my twenties.

But then you wouldn't be called @pintspiller , you big alcky.
     :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A spare ticket for the Knebworth Queen concert in 1986.

This moment is also my best famous last words......"That's okay, I'll see them next time round!"............DOH!!!!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6821
    I haven't particularly regretted not buying gear in the past but I sense a future regret if I don't buy @monoamine's junior.... which I can't.... :'(  
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Only one. Used, late 70's (I think) Ibanez Artist, in 1983. Still bugs me...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.