Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Biggest "I should've bought that" regret?

What's Hot

Comments

• Should've bought a Jazz bass 10 years ago. Got one now though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    Loads of stuff! I'm a nightmare for 'I'll have a little think' and missing something.
    One that springs to mind was a Olympic White Custom Shop Strat with tortishell guard, rosewood board on here in Classifieds which went for about £1200. It was on for ages as well 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2632
    edited September 2016
    Couple of years ago guy on Ebay was selling a Tom Anderson Short Strat with jumbo frets.  Perfect specs for me.  It was brand new to all intents and purposes:  it had been ordered direct from the US and for some reason he had decided to sell it before it even arrived.  He lived about a hundred miles or so from me and I asked if I could come and see it.  He said no, that didn't suit him, just bid if I fancied the guitar.

I just ended up being too suspicious.  Why was he selling a guitar he'd ordered specially at a big loss before he even got it?  Why didn't he want me to see it when another bidder might push up the price he got for it?

So I didn't bid, and it went for iirc around £1,200.

Now maybe - just maybe - I dodged a bullet.  But part of my thinking was, another one will come along - and it never has.  And buyers are pretty well protected with Ebay and Paypal.  So I could almost certainly have got something close to my dream guitar at a great price.  And I'm still looking for something similar 2 or 3 years later.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7699
    Easy : Clearance deal on a returned (as new) Gibson CS-336 in figured Cherry - Aire Guitars (remember them?) wanted £600.
    I dithered for 24h and it was gone. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Oh, and the almost-mint CE-2 which was in the Huntingdon Crack Converters for twenty quid.
     "But I already have a chorus."
     Twat!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Q of Nepalese from my old hippy mate :(
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 619
    edited September 2016
    My biggest regret.. Around 2 years ago I let this 48th street custom sell for £400 on eBay. I was going to put in a bid myself but at the time I wasn't aware of exactly what it was/how rare it was, and I didn't have the money.
    3 weeks later it came up on eBay.com for $2000, and now it's sat on reverb.com for $2500 :(

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I had chance to buy the great billy duffys gold top about 10 years or so ago... The chance came and went while i was raising funds.... As a massive cult fan its always rankled a bit . 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    More recently I dithered over a bargain Lzzy Hale Explorer for a little too long recently and as a result had to console myself with a plain black one... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    40 years ago when I was buying my first Strat, I borrowed £200 from the bank and bought my 1969 Hardtail Strat for £187.50.  But I had the chance of buying a Sunburst, maple neck 1959 Strat for £250 in original case  - it was in well-used and pretty battered condition, and missing the rear cover, whereas the '69 I saw looked much nicer, and (in those days) the extra £50 was quite a bit esp when you have no money.  I knew next to nothing about guitars and passed on the '59 - if I only knew then what I know now I'd have borrowed the extra £50. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Around 8 or 9 years ago I had the chance to buy one of Prince's Yellow Cloud guitars for $7k. Same guitar sold this year for $137k....

Ooops.
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    A met Bronze Fender American Tele B stock from D247... I didn't really like the colour but it kept coming down in price in the Monday eve -15% reductions and got down to £230 - but I opted to wait for one more week and a further 15% reduction and someone else decided they finally liked the colour enough...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-YmUbO6P9oE/maxresdefault.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1712
    edited September 2016
    Circa 1991, spectre sounds in bingley, I was loaded up with student loan goodness and bought a white ibanez jem 555 which I still have....but I'm pretty sure they had a PMC 777 next to it... It was a thing of beauty.. I should have stretched myself.

I have had one since, and sold it for family coffers replenishment. Whilst I loved the one I had, I would have had more time to appreciate it as a student I reckon.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    About 15 years ago I had a couple of hours to kill in West Bridgford while waiting for my girlfriend to get her hair cut or something. As luck would have it there was a small music shop there. I wasn't in the market for anything and didn't have any money anyway, but it was something to do.

The shop was deserted - on a Saturday afternoon! - and the very nice owner set me up with a Blade Delta Pro (a what?) through a Traynor amp (some no-name brand, right?) and left me to it.

It sounded just fantastic. Never really got it again.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Two in particular spring to mind.
    The first is the other Fender Electric XII that the shop had in when I bought mine, which was 50 quid more because it was in better nick and finished in Olympic White (with matching headstock). I wish I could have afforded both but hey! There you go.

The other is the Ibanez copy of a Dan Armstrong Plexi that was hanging in a shop in Leeds for not very much money (about 300 quid IIRC). It was lovely. I didn't buy it because at the time I was looking for an electric 12-string (ended up getting the Fender) and couldn't risk spending on something else. Arse biscuits!
  • Mine is a Blackmachine B2 back when Doug was still taking orders,  I had stumbled across them and decided I'm getting that when my inheritance comes through.  6 months later had the money, couldn't remember the name blackmachine... ended up getting a PRS.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    stuagu said:
    I had chance to buy the great billy duffys gold top about 10 years or so ago... The chance came and went while i was raising funds.... As a massive cult fan its always rankled a bit . 
    Love that one!
  • I tried a black Fender Flame (or it might have been an Esprit) at my local guitar shop in Chatham. It was around 1985 I think and they had been discontinued so they were being knocked out for about £175. I had seen Stuart Adamson playing one on TV and I really liked it. I could probably have afforded it but by the time I got the cash together they were all gone.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    The only one that sticks out is a late 60s Hagstrom Viking like Elvis played in the Comeback Special which was going for CAN$650 in a shop in Toronto in 2005. My friend had a similar era one, so I knew it was a fantastic guitar. Great neck and pups. Still not sure why I didn't get it. It wouldn't be a worth a whole lot now, but I still play my friends from time to time and wish I'd bought one when I had the chance. The reissues are different guitar entirely.   

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.