1958, 59, 60? Gibson LP Special/Junior re-re-build

What's Hot

Comments

• It already has been filled where there were at some point 4 knobs and a 3 way so no original wood will be lost, apart from maybe where the neck pickup will go. A mate of mine has a 59 special originally owned by Steve Howe so I am going to try and take some measurements from that if I can and get the exact location of the pickup right! I will post more pics as things progress :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    edited January 2014
    It already has been filled where there were at some point 4 knobs and a 3 way so no original wood will be lost, apart from maybe where the neck pickup will go. A mate of mine has a 59 special originally owned by Steve Howe so I am going to try and take some measurements from that if I can and get the exact location of the pickup right! I will post more pics as things progress :)
    Make sure it's the type where the neck pickup is further from the neck - the '58s and early '59s have a bad habit of the neck falling off - it should be obvious why, although for some reason it wasn't to Gibson!

Bad:

Good:

The later version also has a much larger control cavity which will cleanly remove all the existing internal damage, although either of them will involve removing some original wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    If you like a conventional neck pickup tone, you may not like the sound of a LP DC Special... As ICBM the neck unit needs shifting down the body so you don't chop into the tenon. But this gives it a VERY different tone to other neck units, its much closer to a mid pickup tone on a Strat with a bit more bass. It doesn't quite give you that plummy lead tone you get from a Les Paul or even a Strat.
    It's not a bad sound - just different, that's all. And before you carve holes in it, it may be an idea to play a similar spec guitar to see if you actually like it.
    Personally, I'd still keep it a Junior - as it will be worth more and look achingly cool - total Johnny Thunders!! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Just wondering if it was possible to do a complete custom P90, one that is much shallower, and therefore would only take a minimal route and be able to get closer the the neck safely?

P90s seem to have the bobbin under wound, so a shallower bobbin with a wider winding might just work.  The field from the magnet layout seems pretty big.  Cue Ash and Van_Hayden to tell me if that is a silly idea, or won't sound anything like a P90? But maybe worth consideration?

I have an old Dan Armstrong sliding pickup assembly, and the pickup is only about 0.25" deep.  Admittedly it is a low impedance design, but it's got me thinking, as I have always loved the LP DC shape, so maybe worth a try for me too ?  hmmmm...  :)

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    Just wondering if it was possible to do a complete custom P90, one that is much shallower, and therefore would only take a minimal route and be able to get closer the the neck safely?

P90s seem to have the bobbin under wound, so a shallower bobbin with a wider winding might just work.  The field from the magnet layout seems pretty big.  Cue Ash and Van_Hayden to tell me if that is a silly idea, or won't sound anything like a P90? But maybe worth consideration?

I have an old Dan Armstrong sliding pickup assembly, and the pickup is only about 0.25" deep.  Admittedly it is a low impedance design, but it's got me thinking, as I have always loved the LP DC shape, so maybe worth a try for me too ?  hmmmm...  :)
    The limit of a P90 design is already pretty close with the pickup at the depth of  normal 90 :) If you narow down the coil any further you will end up with a sort of weak Jazzmaster tone.You might get away with making the pickup rout shallower than normal: just the depth it needs to take the pickup with no adjustment down ... but that's a risky strategy. A standard P90 is 0.648 inch deep ... so in theory you could get away with a rout that was only perhaps 0.5 of an inch. The limiting factor in P90 height are the magnets underneath.
    I'd keep it single pickup.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I'd put the second pickup in the right place :). I think they look better there too, it matches the double-cut shape far better than up by the fingerboard.

Who cares what it sounds like? ;)

Actually I think they sound fine - not quite that pure classic neck pickup position tone, but close enough. If not, just play a bit higher up the neck and it will be :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Cool  :)
    Interesting stuff, thanks to both Ash & ICBM.
    That's right, the usual harmonic point (24th fret-ish on open strings) changes as you play up the neck, good point.

• Think I need to do a bit A B testing
  • It's like a pickup on a 24 fret guitar I guess. Sounds great, but different.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    It's gonna be pretty awesome, whatever!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Just dropped off at Eternal Guitars for repairs to begin, I have my mates 59 special original as a reference until tomorrow, having played that for a little while that is definitely the direction the build is going to go! Might just have to get back to playing that one now it is a very special special :)

• Please see the below link to the original build diary on Facebook:

• Nice. I'll look forward to seeing the result!
  • Amongst these hand wound beauties you might spot a P90 in the making for a certain LP Junior into Special conversion :) A prize to the one who guesses the origin/maker of these pickups!

• Sorry for lack of updates on this but what was once 2 is now once again 1 :)image
  • Amongst these hand wound beauties you might spot a P90 in the making for a certain LP Junior into Special conversion :) A prize to the one who guesses the origin/maker of these pickups!

Well ..... Dave used to use Wizard pickups, but now he does his own.  Do I get the prize?
    Money, guitars, cars, football, beer and women - roughly in that order.  Also, black things are good.  All hail the Lords Black, Burnel, Cornwell and Greenfield - and Squire Warne.  Currently levelling buildings with a Precision bass for the unrivalled www.daphnedontfloat.com
  • Your very close, but no biscuit I'm afraid :)
  • Ooo... Mojo?
  • Sorry have neglected this thread, Busy times setting up Hot Rod Pickups, this project has been on the back burner. Decisions have been made and routing has happened! The neck is solid as a rock, I did a few gigs on her with just the bridge P90 and it sounded epic but not something I would use often, So with the original plan of creating a guitar I would play a lot (the value is gone anyhow) I decided to go with my favourite combo of HB in bridge and P90 in neck. See pictures below of the neck fix, re-re-finish and routing, all work carried out by the master Dave Walsh of Eternal Guitars and paint guru of the Eternal Paint Shop Paul Ross.

• Jig made, routing startedimage